Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Americans Need To Pay More For Petrol

page: 1
4
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Or 'gas' as they call it.

I find it very annoying to see Americans complaining about the price of petrol. Why do Americans think they deserve cheap petrol? The rest of us pay a fortune for petrol and we always have.

Why does America get it so easy?

There are places like Venezuela that pretty much give fuel away but any advanced nation pays through the nose. Most nations pay more for fuel than the United States.

Does it have anything to do with the fact that the United States forces other nations to purchase petrol in US Dollars do you think?

We are all getting ripped off and the ones ripping us off are crying about themselves.

This graph shows how easy Americans have it in relation to petrol price compared to the rest of the world.

flowingdata.com...

From the graph you can clearly see that Americans need to suck it up and walk it off. What the heck are they complaining about?
edit on 3-9-2012 by freemarketsocialist because: (no reason given)
edit on 3-9-2012 by freemarketsocialist because: (no reason given)




posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
And why do they call it 'gas'?

edit- and what do they call gas?
edit on 3-9-2012 by freemarketsocialist because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by freemarketsocialist
And why do they call it 'gas'?


Gas is a short form for gasoline. Gasoline was originally used as a petrol derived cleaning product. When Gasoline started being used for fuel purposes the term "petrol" was already trademarked, thusly they used Gasoline to avoid litigation.



posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I believe the United States is the largest consumer of petroleum products, so it makes sense that we would be paying less. Just how you would save money buying in bulk etc.



posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by coven83
 


Doesnt it get confusing? because Americans call gag gas as well dont they?



posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by freemarketsocialist
 


Hell, don't bitch at us in general. Blame your government and the oil companies that supply your oil.
They set the prices and charge the taxes.

Realistically, it probably works out far more evenly than you imagine. Our vehicles are bigger with bigger engines and we drive further with those bigger vehicles so our miles per gallon/litre is less and we rack up more miles.



posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by goochball
I believe the United States is the largest consumer of petroleum products, so it makes sense that we would be paying less. Just how you would save money buying in bulk etc.





Good point.

I do think the fact that we are all forced to use US dollars to purchase the petrol would add some as well though.



posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I can hardly agree with your premise. It seems to me that everyone else should be paying less. There's no call to wish that we suffer more when it's just as easy to wish that others suffer less....



posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun
reply to post by freemarketsocialist
 


Hell, don't bitch at us in general. Blame your government and the oil companies that supply your oil.
They set the prices and charge the taxes.

Realistically, it probably works out far more evenly than you imagine. Our vehicles are bigger with bigger engines and we drive further with those bigger vehicles so our miles per gallon/litre is less and we rack up more miles.


How about we make it so we do not have to buy US Dollars to purchase it?

We cant print them you see.



posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2
I can hardly agree with your premise. It seems to me that everyone else should be paying less. There's no call to wish that we suffer more when it's just as easy to wish that others suffer less....


I agree.

The big four are taking us to the cleaners.

Globalization of oil would be a good thing.



posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by freemarketsocialist
 


Gas... oline...

And before you start bashing millions of people - think for a second.

Gasoline, or petroleum as you prefer should be cheaper EVERYWHERE.



posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Maybe if you Brits understood the difference between Petroleum and Gasoline you would not have allowed your socialist government to tax you like they do.

And while we're at it... why do you call them chips? They are clearly French Fries!

Your reasoning...



posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by freemarketsocialist
 


Because America is a very big place, not the size of a small island like England, or france, or germany etc..

Our country has such an amazing ability to generate money because we move products and ourselves a lot. Many still live in the country, you know where the city ends way back up the road, and your surrounded by trees and wilderness.

Besides our economy is based off of many different factors from other countries, we can't afford to pay $10 plus a gallon, it would cripple us over night, literally.



posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
To add to the others, the Euro is worth 3 cents more than our dollar. How much are you guys paying for petrol? If you're an Aussie you have almost 1 cent more on our dollar. There are too many factors to say we need to pay more. I remember when it was 1.15 a gallon. What do you mean by what we call gas? Gas is petrol I'm guessing. Then there is Diesel fuel



posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by freemarketsocialist
 


Don't blame us blame the European union. They are the ones taxing you out the butt to make you buy diesel instead. There is also much less demand for gasoline so ya's don't buy nearly as much, buy in bulk and often and you save on quantity and taxes.



posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by tvtexan
Maybe if you Brits understood the difference between Petroleum and Gasoline you would not have allowed your socialist government to tax you like they do.

And while we're at it... why do you call them chips? They are clearly French Fries!

Your reasoning...


Ha!

Im Australian.

When will you guys start using the metric system? What is your problem with the letter H?

edit- always with the socialism.
There is no socialism in Europe. There is in South America though.
edit on 3-9-2012 by freemarketsocialist because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I think the rest of the world should pay more for grain, but hey, that's just me.



posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by freemarketsocialist
 


Obviously people dont want your governments money. The US doesn't control anything with the oil



posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthworthy
To add to the others, the Euro is worth 3 cents more than our dollar. How much are you guys paying for petrol? If you're an Aussie you have almost 1 cent more on our dollar. There are too many factors to say we need to pay more. I remember when it was 1.15 a gallon. What do you mean by what we call gas? Gas is petrol I'm guessing. Then there is Diesel fuel


When we get a gas bill its for gas.

LPG.

Gas cant be two things. It would be confusing.



posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingCap
reply to post by freemarketsocialist
 


Gas... oline...

And before you start bashing millions of people - think for a second.

Gasoline, or petroleum as you prefer should be cheaper EVERYWHERE.


I think you are right.

en.wikipedia.org...

Mobil. Shell, BP and Chevron have all our money.
edit on 3-9-2012 by freemarketsocialist because: (no reason given)





new topics




 
4
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join