It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Azif: Is The Necronomicon Real?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Sorry, but after lurking in the shadows of ATS I have to post something on this;

The book doesn't exist (as many have said), but the idea of a book like this could exist. Please let me explain:

The idea of finding a "Lost Book of Wisdom" out in the desert is very possible. Many nomatic tribes in the Arabian Desert hide books that have been past down for 100s of years within a clan. Some of these books pre-date the rise of Islam in Arabia (so yes they are very old books out in the desert)

Due to the nature of these little known religons (at the time), a person who came across one of these books may have misunderstood the contents of what they have found.

While the idea of using a recurring mystery book wasn't exclusive to Lovecraft (look up "The King in Yellow") His short stories seem to have hit a nerve better than any other writer has.

I think thats the biggest mystery about it is, "Why does this one non-book affect so many people the way it does?"

Thank you for reading.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Guyfriday

You are welcome.

I think that's the biggest mystery about it is, "Why does this one non-book affect so many people the way it does?"

Yes, you've got it. I like to think that that is what this whole thread is about. It does not provide many answers but I think that it concentrates the subject in such a way that we might be able to see something we have not in relation to your question, or maybe see the same stuff, only more clearly and in more detail.

There are some pretty funky posts on this thread, I hope you'll take the time to check them all out.

Thanks for stopping by,

X.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

I would like to share an experience regarding this since you are looking for anecdotal evidence...

I found the Simon Necronomicon as a young man, interested in the occult sciences.
I had planned on doing some of the rituals, but couldn't figure out what the heck ouroboros was.

Now I had spent a few days reading this book and it was giving me a very strong 'deja-vu' kind of feeling.
So I awake in the middle of the night from my sleep to find a very tall black humanoid standing in my doorway looking at me.
It was kind of skinny looking, but extremely ripped/muscular, its eyes were pure blackness...
The next thing I know I am spinning around in circles with it inside my head, I felt that it was trying to possess me.
At this point all my fear turned to anger and I cast it out, back to the hell from which it spawned.
I woke up, very very shaken, and started drawing crosses all over the place (which was extremely odd since I wasn't a christian).
I was a little scared of the dark after this, but it didn't last.

Whether the book is 'real' or imagined doesn't matter so much. I never believed some intradimensional being would come visit me, let alone try to possess me. I was careful in reading the book though, that I never spoke aloud any of the words, and was careful to try not utter any of them inside my head when reading.

I wouldn't say this ruined my life, or that demons have haunted me ever since, I'm simply more aware of them and how they interact with humanity on a world-scale as a result of my experiences (including those not discussed here). I think demons (or intradimensional beings) have always been around feeding off of us, but in my opinion this book can bring it out into the open instead of having it hiding behind the scenes and it may attract worse beings into your life or more of them....didn't call him the mad arab for no reason

And thanks to whomever shared the Marilyn Manson vid, it was an interesting story.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 05:34 AM
link   
This post is getting necroed and im new and all but I just wanted to share my experiences. As a young man (read: stupid kid) I was getting all into exploring magic and occult stuff and did pick up a copy of the necronomicon (SN) from a bookstore. I tried reading it, i recognized the sumerian things but didnt know much about lovecraft. anyway even though the book warned not to reproduce any of the drawings i did it anyway reproducing the weird mark from the cover. I guess i did it right since if i didnt, the book said id go mad and eat myself or something. i am thus far non eaten though i did have and continue to have emotional issues but i dont think theyre linked in all honesty. anyway. toward the end of last year i purchased from kindle a praduct called the complete works of h.p. lovecraft for about a dollar. the table of contents is a mess but there is a lot of stuff there. i liked it all very much and i think i have read all of it or very nearly all of it. like i said, the table of contents is hard to find so i read scattered works and am not sure what i have missed yet but ive read all the big things - meaning all the books with multiple chapters and a great deal of the shorter things. earlier this week though as i was looking through it again, i noticed some letters of correspondence between lovecraft and contemporaries and other folks, and noticed that the writing style and matter of fact "flavor" of the way he wrote letters is also evident in the 'short story' "the history of the necronomicon"

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ancientpast
reply to post by Xoanon

I would like to share an experience regarding this since you are looking for anecdotal evidence...

I found the Simon Necronomicon as a young man, interested in the occult sciences.
I had planned on doing some of the rituals, but couldn't figure out what the heck ouroboros was.

Now I had spent a few days reading this book and it was giving me a very strong 'deja-vu' kind of feeling.
So I awake in the middle of the night from my sleep to find a very tall black humanoid standing in my doorway looking at me.
It was kind of skinny looking, but extremely ripped/muscular, its eyes were pure blackness...
The next thing I know I am spinning around in circles with it inside my head, I felt that it was trying to possess me.
At this point all my fear turned to anger and I cast it out, back to the hell from which it spawned.
I woke up, very very shaken, and started drawing crosses all over the place (which was extremely odd since I wasn't a christian).
I was a little scared of the dark after this, but it didn't last.

Whether the book is 'real' or imagined doesn't matter so much. I never believed some intradimensional being would come visit me, let alone try to possess me. I was careful in reading the book though, that I never spoke aloud any of the words, and was careful to try not utter any of them inside my head when reading.

I wouldn't say this ruined my life, or that demons have haunted me ever since, I'm simply more aware of them and how they interact with humanity on a world-scale as a result of my experiences (including those not discussed here). I think demons (or intradimensional beings) have always been around feeding off of us, but in my opinion this book can bring it out into the open instead of having it hiding behind the scenes and it may attract worse beings into your life or more of them....didn't call him the mad arab for no reason

And thanks to whomever shared the Marilyn Manson vid, it was an interesting story.

Sounds like Nyarlathotep.

In "The Dreams in the Witch House" (1933), Nyarlathotep appears to Walter Gilman and witch Keziah Mason (who has made a pact with the entity) in the form of "the 'Black Man' of the witch-cult," a black-skinned avatar of the Devil described by witch hunters.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: dazmo

Thanks for digging this thing up, i love Lovecraft and the Necronomicon. It is purely fiction, but kind of as in all of lovecrafts stories you find hints towards his depressed, xenophobic personality, while he also shares a lot of early "Babylonian" research, mixed a bit with egyptology, it is just beautiful, because the Necronomicon mirrors this, to a certain degree.
Magic also works a lot with symbols, math and astrology. Whatever meaning you give it, you will receive the echo, depending on how tight the web is you spin with it. When your logic and your intuition agree, your physical world will follow. Sort of. I am not making a very good point. And it won't help anyone summoning fire-balls. No movie magic. And as in all of lovecraftian works it's creepy, because it causes subtile echoes.

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Xoanon

Necronomicon....... as in a book pertaining to death...... like the book of the dead or any djin based grimoire really so many in university archives and some that are more hidden hehe and in regard to the simon neronomicon to me its like the new testament lot of copy paste to make it cooler and easier to understand so they could make more dough. Would love to know what the base indis and old sumerain symbol is for the necon since its more a name like cook book its not the books name but its what it is. I love how H.P used the name to refer to forbidden text i listen to his complete works on a audio reader while i paint all the time wuv mountains of madness!! gotta love photoshop!! drive.google.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

Because it is a icon/symbol for all the forbidden texts and it sounds super cool. To me a neronomicon/djin grimoire texts is what a shaman would use to write notes in and reference his ancestors wisdom as it was passed down the bloodline from where ever their raft landed. More of a personal texts for the shamans eyes only not for u ash!! bad!! no!!

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

the sigils looked cooler than the other manuscripts so it would sell

posted on Apr, 14 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Maroboduus

there is a bell that came out of a lump of coal so its pretty old it has enki at the top of it on his knee with his hands clasped together praying i wonder to who? thank goodness we had our friendly neighborhood horned defenders to save us. Not 100% sure but i think cuthulu links to the symbol for primordial one but in that past world that got swept away and compressed into oil and coal there where no words as we know them so only the most golden stories and objects survived hehe. drive.google.com...
edit on 14-4-2016 by ater3600 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Hello Xoanon,

I see that I am 4 years late to this thread, so I wonder if you might post an update given the fact that Peter Levenda has just published his first novel called The Lovecraft Code wherein the (Simon?) Necronomicon is the MacGuffin?

Amazon Link

The Amazon blurb does not mention the Necronomicon, but this review in the NY Journal of Books does.

Then he meets a man named Aubrey. Angell refuses to believe what Aubrey wants: to find The Necronomicon, the very thing causing the loss of his family’s academic reputation.

Before he knows it, Angell’s on his way on a black-ops mission, not only to find the book but to prevent it from being used to resurrect the dead god who lies dreaming. The things Angell previously witnessed are mere daydreams compared to what he’s about to discover, and he no longer has the option of refusing to believe any of it.

“‘The Necronomicon was a joke, a running literary gag . . . an invention . . . He knew these people weren’t lying, but they couldn’t be telling the truth . . . Lovecraft saw it coming . . . his stories weren’t fantasies . . . they were predictions.’”

In his search for the Necronomicon, Gregory Angell will discover the thread of truth running through the lives of everyone coming into contact with the dark tome:

“‘There are sacraments of good as well as evil . . . This is the worship of Death, and worse. There is no God . . . there is no devil . . . there is only us and them!’”

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join