It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Azif: Is The Necronomicon Real?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Are there seriously people who believe the Necronomicon is real???

If so, those people are complete and utter morons. It takes about 2 seconds of research to find out it was invented by Lovecraft. Good lord....
edit on 4-9-2012 by Maroboduus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

What are you, 12 years old? It must be nice to live in a complete fantasy land. Tell me, how was Miskatonic University? It must be interesting, attending a fictitious college in a fictitious town....

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

Interesting post!

I dug my tome out a few days ago, I have only read a few stories from it. Here's some pics;

I have a lot of reading and research to do, I wasn't aware it was so "esoteric" ! Renewed my interest op ty.

ains,
edit on 4-9-2012 by ainsley because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maroboduus
reply to post by abeverage

What are you, 12 years old? It must be nice to live in a complete fantasy land. Tell me, how was Miskatonic University? It must be interesting, attending a fictitious college in a fictitious town....

Nope I am not 12, but I have been told I age well and look the same after 20 or so years
Oh The tuition is very easy on the ole pocket book!

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by JValhalla
Great thread and research I have always wondered if there was a real book. All my investigation led to a dead end. Thanks for this. S/F

What???
If you google Necronomicon, the first thing that pops up is the Wikipedia entry. And the VERY FIRST SENTENCE of that article states:

The Necronomicon is a fictional grimoire

How hard was that?
Man alive....

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Any thoughts on the presentation put forth in Dead Names: The Dark History of the Necronomicon? Some of the police reports are quite interesting regarding the connections of the individuals involved...

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

I had a paperback copy which I burned after bad luck seemed to start to hound me. Then my sister got one which she also asked me to throw away for her.

I don't know why but the nature and intentions of those that created it may have imbued it with something negative.

It doesn't matter if it was written in modern times.

Stay away from it.
edit on 4-9-2012 by reject because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

I think none of those witchcraft books are real.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Hello all,

I must apologize. Tracy Twyman must really like interviewing Peter Levenda because the YouTube interview I posted is not the same as I have cited in the OP.

No big though, he is going over essentially the same story and I think that he goes into better detail and lets himself hang out a little more in the interview from the video that I posted.

I have gone ahead and pulled out some of Peter/Simon's story so we can read it here...

Peter Levenda, very, very likely author of The Simon Necronomicon, being interviewed by Tracy Twyman regarding Peter's involvement in the production of The Simon Necronomicon in the 1970's...

Referring here to the 'monks' that supposedly were heisting books from public and private libraries, I hope you remember that part from the OP...

"Andrew knew about this, he knew what they were up to all along as they were kicking stuff back to him. he really didn't mind it too much as long as he wasn't involved in the actual theft."

"Andrew's interest was always in books of an occult nature, so he had a small growing collection of old tomes of various kinds and as it turns out he had stacks of things in boxes, old manuscripts and that sort of thing".

"And I was over one day and the rest is history...

...opened up the box and saw, um, a manuscript with a Greek name, Necronomicon, ya know, we thought it had something to do with death"

"You have to understand that we did not read H.P. Lovecraft, we had no knowledge of it in the 1970's, it just wasn't part of our lifestyle to read occult fiction and gothic horror and stuff. It just wasn't there, we didn't know.

So for us it meant nothing. Just that it had something to do with the dead, and there were some strange sigils and stuff in it; it looked pretty cool, you know, and that was really the discovery of it, you know, it was just right there so we said, "Let's do something with this".

So there we go. You can see how slippery Levenda/Simon is when it comes to all of this. In this interview he is claiming now to be the person that discovered the manuscript by accident, even though he was aware enough to know that 'Andrew' had a collection of old occult tomes. My question is, why didn't 'they' 'do something' with any of the other ancient, stolen, tomes of great antiquity in 'Andrew's' collection?

Also, people that don't know anything about the occult, as Levenda/Simon claims, do not throw around specialized jargon like 'occult tomes' and especially 'sigil'.

Geez.
edit on 4-9-2012 by Xoanon because:

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

I had a paperback copy which I burned after bad luck seemed to start to hound me. Then my sister got one which she also asked me to throw away for her.

I don't know why but the nature and intentions of those that created it may have imbued it with something negative.

Was it the Simon version? The one in the second picture near the bottom of the OP?

That one is notorious for generating stories like your own and that is part of the reason that I started this thread. I was not really kidding when I suggested in the OP that a friend or loved one might bring one of these home.

I am going to see if I can gather other anecdotes about the Simon Necronomicon from the web and post them here if I am able to.

I hope that others will share their stories of the Simon version, if they have them and are willing.

Thanks for sharing.

X.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I notice that the 'Simon' Necronomicon is priced at 0.32p (50c) on Amazon UK.

Probably not worth the money.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by JValhalla
When I here Necronomicon I automatically think.

"This is my boom stick"

Great thread and research I have always wondered if there was a real book. All my investigation led to a dead end. Thanks for this. S/F

Boom

Stick

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbread
reply to post by Xoanon

The real ones will exist in some collectors vault somewhere

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

I don't know. The sigil looks the same though.

I read the whole damn thing; a lot of it doesn't have continuity and a lot of it are symbols...its the one that says somewhere "don't stare into the abyss because it stares back.." and about "the ancient ones who are dead BUT DREAMING."

Its supposed to be Sumerian but I got the impression it was somehow linked to native American mythology as well.

My bad luck continues to this day.

Curiosity kills the cat. So, stay away. Nothing good comes of it.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by thomasblackraven

Any thoughts on the presentation put forth in Dead Names: The Dark History of the Necronomicon? Some of the police reports are quite interesting regarding the connections of the individuals involved...

Thanks for asking TBR,

I have just become aware of 'Simon's' book. It looks a lot more like something that Levenda would write, right?

So in 'Dead Names' we now have 'Simon' telling the story of Levenda as told by Cabal in my OP.

No kidding, it's as simple as that. Weird, huh? I don't know why Levenda persists in the subterfuge; I imagine he must have the same concerns as Fred Gettings who goes around writing books as 'David Ovason'.

Too funny. Do you keep up with all this occult stuff,. yourself, TBR?

As far as murders and occult crimes that have involved the Necronomicon, there are the heinous murders of Naomi Ruth Queen and Richard Wendorf at the hands of Rod Ferrell and his cult.

When authorities caught up to them, they found a copy of the Simon Necronomicon in his possessions, and later it was claimed that Ferrell used the Necronomicon in cult rituals. But it should be kept in mind that investigators found a copy of Anne Rice's Interview With The Vampire right there along with it.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbread
reply to post by Xoanon

There are many authentic grimoires (Key of Solomon, Book of Sacred Magic of Abramelin the Mage, etc), but the Necronomicon is assuredly not one of them.

As to the Simon Necronomicon, it is widely known to be a hoax.
Any perceived ill effects linked to it are ONLY that: perception. You are reading too much into things and linking them to that book when no causality actually exists. It is a hoax, through and through. It can't cause anything bad to happen to you or anybody else. Trying to link it to murders and such because perpetrators happened to own it is bad logic, at best. They weren't evil/didn't commit evil acts because they owned it; they owned it because they were actively trying to play up their view of themselves as being evil.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

maybe one of your children or grandchildren, will someday come waltzing in to the room, all smug with their goth little selves, and slap down a copy of this hoary old grimoire, declaring, “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!”.

if i ever meet anyone that can properly pronounce that whole phrase ill be impressed and scared

but im glad there is a thread like this because ive seen around three different copies of the necronomicon at one book store,

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I hope that the core folks that are reading this go over those Lovecraft letters very carefully, much is revealed in them...

"Long has alluded to the Necronomicon in some things of his—in fact, I think it is rather good fun to have this artificial mythology given an air of verisimilitude by wide citation."

"Long" is...

Frank Belknap Long (April 27, 1901 - January 3, 1994) was a prolific American writer of horror fiction, fantasy, science fiction, poetry, gothic romance, comic books, and non-fiction.

Though his writing career spanned seven decades, he is best known for his horror and science fiction short stories, including early contributions to the Cthulhu Mythos.

During his life, Long received the World Fantasy Award for Life Achievement (at the 1978 World Fantasy Convention), the Bram Stoker Award for Lifetime Achievement (in 1987, from the Horror Writers Association), and the First Fandom Hall of Fame Award (1977).

en.wikipedia.org...

I truly hope that devotees of American fiction, like myself, are enjoying this as much as I am. If so, the link that is attached to Lovecraft's letters in the OP will take you to an entire collection of H.P.L.'s correspondence. The man was an incredible writer, before anything else.

X.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by connorromanow

but im glad there is a thread like this because ive seen around three different copies of the necronomicon at one book store,

Thank you, connorronamow, I appreciate the validation, I would not want people to take my offer of help too lightly.

X.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Interesting thread OP. I've long been fascinated b grimores, but like you and most people, I am convinced the Necro is a clever hoax.

A few years ago I bought a book called Dead Names that preports to tell the story of the Orthodox book thieves and the whole Magikal Chylde scene, but it sits neglected on my bookshelf, yet to be read - in a large part due to the fact I think this book-about-a-book is also a hoax and designed as apologetica to shore up the "Simon" myth. Still, it might make a good fiction read some dark and stormy eve.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join