It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organic food not much healthier: study

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I like how the article starts off with how organic food "Which costs more" and ends with how they would like to buy organic "But it's too much money" The first and last thing you read, which I think sticks in your mind more than a lot of the stuff in the middle.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I just head a report on TV about there is no difference nutrition wise.
I can only suppose this means the same stuff that is in an Illuminati farm tomato is
the same as in an organic farmed tomato. That hides the situation in typical
Illuminati fashion that the stuff in Illuminati tomatoes can be tainted by lack of
care.

edit on 9/5/2012 by TeslaandLyne because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I eat organic

HAS to be better than that unnatural, laboratory created GMO

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

According to FSI's 2011 Annual Report (page 38, .pdf) Agricultural giant Cargill, British Petroleum (BP), the Bill & Malinda Gates Foundation (heavily invested in both Cargill and big-agri giant Monsanto), the Ford Foundation, Google, Goldman Sachs, the Smith Richardson Foundation, and many other corporate-financier, Fortune 500 special interests.

Wow it really was junk science - funded by Agribusiness no less!

To see just how evil Cargill is -- read this: Cargill Our Taxes, Global Destruction

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by fulllotusqigong

According to FSI's 2011 Annual Report (page 38, .pdf) Agricultural giant Cargill, British Petroleum (BP), the Bill & Malinda Gates Foundation (heavily invested in both Cargill and big-agri giant Monsanto), the Ford Foundation, Google, Goldman Sachs, the Smith Richardson Foundation, and many other corporate-financier, Fortune 500 special interests.

Wow it really was junk science - funded by Agribusiness no less!

To see just how evil Cargill is -- read this: Cargill Our Taxes, Global Destruction

Aint they supposed to be the good guys - well according to them that is.
They must be very dumb to think we are that dumb to believe any garbage that spills out of their mouths

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

Oh Yeah Cargill funds Public Radio big time another reason why Noam Chomsky says NPR is the worst form of mind control because it creates the false intellectual sense of debate. NPR operates on a "false framework."

So we protested Cargill's headquarters here in Minnesota -- someone actually locked down to a car as an Earth First! activist. The local NPR affiliate gave the story 2 minutes. No depth at all -- considering it's the largest private corporation in the world and headquartered in the Twin Cities you'd think it should get a full on series.

The local newspaper for Minneapolis did a series on Cargill -- what was it -- PROMOTING Cargill's destruction of the Amazon rainforest!!

Now get this -- Minnesota is considered a well educated place, ranked with one of the most literate cities with the most libraries and universities and a ton of Fortune 500 companies.

What a joke! As Ralph Nader says what puts Minnesota on the map is Agribusiness. So it's the big pink elephant in the room. For example the U of MN during the summer has their board of regents meeting when no one is around and with the President they reaffirm their support of Title XII -- this means they support the federal agribusiness program.

So then Cargill was building a big genetics building and they took over the biology department as Phil Regal told me -- he is a professor at the U of MN.

So the Cargill building got torched as arson when it was being constructed but for a company that makes billions of dollars of profit every year -- this was a TAX DEDUCTIBLE donation. haha.

Here's the Cargill destroying the Amazon article

So I met the nephew of Cargill's PR person - saying she was "very concerned" about Cargill's public image. haha. This company is so huge that people are complaining about Cargill causing the orangutans to go extinct but no one in Minnesota barely notices. So they have so many problems they all get watered down.

If you go to Rainforest Action Network they have a campaign against Cargill's destruction of the orangutans.

yeah here - Cargill's problem with Palm Oil

I mean why should this even be news? How many people even know about this -- even on ATS -- the old "deny ignorance" motto is too obsessed about e.t.s, etc. haha.

People are too afraid of the ecological crisis. Even domestic housecats are killing off the rare songbirds that migrate up to the U.S. -- north from C. Am and S. Am -- some 250 species -- but tell that to a cat owner and they just deny it's real. haha. Oh kitty wouldn't do that -- I even linked the new Kittycam video research -- a third of the cat kills are never brought home.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by hoochymama

Makes sense to me that the organic food is not any healthier. How could one possibly hope to study that over time? Do some sort of cohort study and see who gets cancer 30 years from now and see if the numbers organic vs non organically grown are appreciably different.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by spencer2000

With respect - Food grown naturally as opposed to say GMO has no comparison.
Common sense tells me that food grown naturally in soil that is looked after in a natural way is far superior to Food that has been genetically modified and grown in a cocktail of chemicals added to the soil.

It has already been shown that this is a fraudulent report

edit on 6-9-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-9-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-9-2012 by artistpoet because: typos typos everywhere

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by fulllotusqigong

Thanks for the info yet again

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Right -- also the plant itself will take in most of any pollution residues in compost in contrast to the actual vegetable that is harvested. This is not to say that using Toxic Sludge is good as compost -- far more common and a real hazard is the mixing of industrial sewage with humanure and this is sold as "organic" fertilizer. Obviously this is wrong but it is very common. It's not even compost as it is just sewer sludge. Composting is a thermofilic aerobic bacteria process that sanitizes the manure and then recycles it.

So any residues from humanure would be taken up by the plant but not in any significant level on the actual harvest - there's been studies on this I looked into after an organic farmer claimed that heavy metal poisoning in human waste would contaminate the food. Nope. Humanure mixed with industrial sludge is a big no-no but is far more commonly used for farming then actual humanure composting known as Ecosan or "ecological sanitation."

It's not the same as say the toxic pesticide used on corn that is sprayed on the corn seed and then stays in the corn plant as it develops so that it is in the corn harvest also. This is different than previous pesticides that would come off the plant in the rain. This new type of toxic pesticide is killing all the bees. It is now being banned in Europe but the U.S. has yet to take action despite some 30% of the bee population killed off.

Bayer Kills Bees! neo-nicotinoid pesticides threaten honeybees and other insects worldwide

But yeah ideally if a person eats meat and eggs and dairy then they should be organic and even better - pasture grass fed but at the least "no antibiotics and synthetic growth hormones." Also don't eat salmon from Scotland as they're high in PCBs -- especially bad for preggers. So eat it Alaska wild salmon. I used to process salmon in Alaska - they're running out of wild salmon though. So sardines are the way to go for fish to eat as they don't accumulate PCBs or mercury as much. But then even sardines are now starting to be threatened.

So anyway I think I posted the study already saying that by 2050 humans will be forced to be vegetarian if we want to feed the 9 billion population.

edit on 6-9-2012 by fulllotusqigong because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I tried a different variety of Tomato this year, and went to town amending the soil where I planted them.
They were over 5' tall and 3' wide last month before a wandering deer decided to have a midnight snack

Anyway, the tomatoes from these plants are FAR AND AWAY better for me, and better tasting than anything offered at the store in town. They are thick and meaty when you cut into them, not loose and sloppy... the taste is also incomparable. Just slightly tangy and delicious!

No bought and paid-for whitecoat can convince me otherwise.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

Yeah it's amazing how little seeds can grow so big. I was thinning tomato plants at something like a dozen for square foot. I put down humanure compost and put down the little seedlings and the plants just exploded in growth -- I set them a foot and half apart approximately. There's some overlap but then I can double up on caging somewhat.

So now I'm harvesting about a dozen tomatoes a day. I eat most of them -- there's some MAOI action on tomatoes. So they should naturally increase serotonin along with various other things not mentionable on ATS.

Also the lycopene from the red antioxidant kills cancer, etc. Wow I had no idea this was so contentious

Fruit or vegetable? Botanically, a tomato is a fruit: the ovary, together with its seeds, of a flowering plant. However, the tomato has a much lower sugar content than other edible fruits, and is therefore not as sweet. Typically served as part of a salad or main course of a meal, rather than at dessert, it is considered a vegetable for most culinary uses. One exception is that tomatoes are treated as a fruit in home canning practices: they are acidic enough to be processed in a water bath rather than a pressure cooker as vegetables would require. Tomatoes are not the only food source with this ambiguity: avocadoes, eggplants, cucumbers, and squashes of all kinds (such as zucchini and pumpkins) are all botanically fruits, yet cooked as vegetables. This dispute has led to legal speculation in the United States. In 1887, U.S. tariff laws that imposed a duty on vegetables, but not on fruits, caused the tomato's status to become a matter of legal importance. The U.S. Supreme Court settled this controversy on May 10, 1893, by declaring that the tomato is a vegetable, based on the popular definition that classifies vegetables by use, that they are generally served with dinner and not dessert (Nix v. Hedden (149 U.S. 304)).[60] The holding of this case applies only to the interpretation of the Tariff Act of March 3, 1883, and the court did not purport to reclassify the tomato for botanical or other purposes. Tomatoes have been designated the state vegetable of New Jersey. Arkansas took both sides by declaring the "South Arkansas Vine Ripe Pink Tomato" to be both the state fruit and the state vegetable in the same law, citing both its culinary and botanical classifications. In 2009, the state of Ohio passed a law making the tomato the state's official fruit. Tomato juice has been the official beverage of Ohio since 1965. A.W. Livingston, of Reynoldsburg, Ohio, played a large part in popularizing the tomato in the late 19th century; his efforts are commemorated in Reynoldsburg with an annual Tomato Festival.

So I have other "fruits" that I thought were vegetables -- squash and cucumbers.

Yeah garden fresh tomatoes are nothing compared to refrigerated tomatoes.

I guess the variety used to refrigerate tomatoes makes them extra bland.

My tomatoes are also "meaty" -- full of water but not juicy or runny -- not extra hard -- slightly tangy flavor. Maybe we have the same variety. I would have to check if I still have the seed packet. I pick them at "stage 2" when they're red-orange and maybe a bit of green. So otherwise they can crack from the water intake breaking the fragile red skin.

Essentially I made a huge deer fence from European invasive buckthorn trees -- so that was free fencing -- but the squirrels are getting some of the tomatoes close to the ground. I don't have enough cages so I just use various sticks or sunflower plants or corn plants, etc. to prop up the sprawling tomatoes.

I lost count at 12 dozen tomatoes - my guess is maybe twice that but there's so many I just stopped counting. I gave my sister a big bag of over a dozen tomatoes and then I looked it up -- an organic tomato was selling for $4!! I think the price must be down from that now but last time I was at the co-op I was amazed at the price of the pea sprouts, green beans and various other crops I harvest regularly.

I like the tomatoes fresh and eating half a dozen a day is a full on tomato experience. I posted this reply since I happened to be eating tomatoes when I read it.

A small preliminary study on healthy men and women has shown that the lycopene from orange- and tangerine-colored tomatoes may actually be better absorbed than the lycopene from red tomatoes. That's because the lycopene in deep red tomatoes is mostly trans-lycopene, and the lycopene in orange/tangerine tomatoes is mostly tetra-cis-lycopene. In a recent study, this tetra-cis form of lycopene turned out to be more efficiently absorbed by the study participants. While more research is needed in this area, we're encouraged to find that tomatoes may not have to be deep red in order for us to get great lycopene-related benefits.

More tomato secrets

One of these phytonutrients is a glycoside called esculeoside A; another is flavonoid called chalconaringenin; and yet another is a fatty-acid type molecule called 9-oxo-octadecadienoic acid. As our knowledge of unique tomato phytonutrients expands, we are likely to learn more about the unique role played by tomatoes in support of heart health.

55% increase in lycopene by cooking low heat with fat for long time....

Corn oil was added to both sauces as well. But the sauce designed to produce lycopene in the bent molecular forms was subjected to a second round of heating at 260 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes. The resulting sauce contained nine times more cis-isomers than the regularly processed sauce. Twelve people participated in a study of the sauces, and all ate both kinds of sauce over the course of the study. After each meal, researchers took samples of participants’ blood seven times during the following 9 1/2 hours to measure lycopene levels. The scientists used a special testing method to analyze lycopene levels in the blood associated only with the tomato sauce meal, avoiding any other possible sources of those compounds in the bloodstream. Research participants had a 55 percent increase in total lycopene absorption after eating the specially processed sauce when compared to their lycopene blood levels after eating the regular sauce. This finding reinforced the expectation that the bent forms of lycopene are more easily absorbed into human blood, Schwartz said.

O.K. I guess I'll break down to make an actual sauce.
edit on 6-9-2012 by fulllotusqigong because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by fulllotusqigong

Awesome!

I think many of the people who fall for this "junk science" are those who aren't old enough or grew up in a very urban environment.

Although I grew up in the suburbs, we had a big yard with a very sizeable garden (which was still pretty common back then). I would say during growing season about 70% of what we ate came straight out of that garden. What was left over was canned and we ate that through the rest of the year.

I went to the corner store today where a friend of mine works and she gave me a big bag of locally grown tomatoes that someone had brought in. These are the ugliest things you've ever seen in your life! Small ones big ones, odd shapes, some were yellow, some were red, some looked like peppers... but man are they tasty

Sorry Monsanto, you're full of *#^!

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

Yeah made my organic tomato sauce today with fresh organic basil and oregano and local Hmong onions -- I'm sure their organic too, just not certified.

The Hmong have a "stay" from the local multimillionaire crackdown against the Hmong's millenia-old polyculture organic farming. The article said LOVE from both sides and so I teared up reading it. They local townboard toured the Hmong gardens and I'm hopeful they will continue their 100 acre hand-tool farming work. It is a beautiful thing when the Hmong CIA veterans were scared the Communists would destroy their farms in Laos and now the Hmong get to teach the U.S. about real sustainable farming practices.

Matrifocal female-based gardening still feeds the world out of Africa -- there's an academic book called Women and the Hoe Women Wielding the Hoe: Lessons from Rural Africa for Feminist Theory and Development Practice (Explorations in Anthropology)

Then there's the Femivore movement

Lunar calendar based farming used to be the norm in the U.S. before the state-led agribusiness-bank take over that inspired the populist movement in the late 1800s.

The U of MN Gophers is from the railroad robber barons stealing the crops of the farmers as centralized distribution. Cargill had an inside deal with the banks, railroads and federal government and in the 1970s it went worldwide with "Food for Peace" as Cold War policies to undermine local farmers worldwide - by "food dumping" to drive out the local farmer markets.

So anyway this focus on monocultural export by farmers was based on feeding Europe after their wars destroyed their food supplies but the white male farmer needs to wake up that oil-based farming is limited and not sustainable.

There's an unemployment crisis -- what better than using humanure compost and gardening. Already fruit trees are being planted as community programs for food to feed the poor with nutrition. Food stamps for farmers markets are increasing. School to Farm programs are increasing nutrition for students while supporting local farmers.

I'm sure Monsanto-Cargill are starting to notice. haha. familyfarmdefenders.org... is a great organization for farm solidarity activism exposing the derivatives price fixing of the Chicago Board of Trade undermining the family farmers.

Instead cooperatives are side-tracking the centralized distribution system so that direct markets are created through local cooperative markets and community-supported agriculture. Detroit has relied on urban farming to rebuild the deindustrialization of their city. So has Ohio's Cleveland. So has Oakland. Minneapolis.

Green roofs in Chicago. Nature will take over again. Bison and prairie grasslands can return to the Dakotas for biofuel and food -- as Kansas is developing at the Land Institute and the Wildlands Recovery Project.

People living with Nature instead of just wildlife refuges that local people out.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Here's an article on one of my protests: Student disrupts U of MN President's State of University speech to expose genetic engineering corporate corruption

I discovered that City Pages quoted from my research report in an article on Phil Regal, a biology professor who supported my work.

For enough money from Monsanto we'll give you soybeans as big as basketballs says U of MN researcher

So ten years later one of the main genetic engineered crops is creating a stronger parasite requiring more and more pesticide use:

Monsanto Loses to a Tiny Foe: Corn Rootworm

by Cathryn Wellner
September 6, 2012
2:30 pm

Read more: Monsanto's genetic engineering corn for 40% of U.S. crop is going down while requiring more and more pesticides

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
We Are Now One Year Away From Global Riots, Complex Systems Theorists Say

Basically food prices were the cause of the Arab Spring -- something no one mentions hardly.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Bill and Melinda Gates certainly are not good guys (though we know that's the most common disguise for evil doers!) I'm 29 years old and in good health Bill, why the hell would I want a flu vaccine?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

After the fact, it was discovered that the author of this phony piece, Dr. Ingram Olkin, of Stanford University, has strong ties with Big Tobacco, specifically Philip Morris, and actually created a ‘multivariate logistic risk function’ which was employed to ‘prove’ that smoking tobacco was actually safe, and had no links to cancer! By fiddling with the numbers, Olkin made inherent risk disappear or appear at will, and now has attempted to convince the public that pesticides, herbicides and chemical fertilizers are harmless and make no difference at all in the nutritional value of produce!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join