It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Detroit Mayors Federal Trial To Start Soon.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
For anyone who has paid attention to what has happened in Detroit as far as the corruption goes; The former Mayor and his criminal gang are about to stand trial for all there despicable acts while in power. It sure doesn't look good for Kwame Kilpatrick at this point. Me personally, I hope the jury throws the book at each one of them to send a message to those who are in power now.

Here is the list of charges for the four defendants in the case.

www.freep.com...

Kwame Kilpatrick is facing 33 counts:

• One count of racketeering conspiracy, punishable by up to 20 years in prison

• Nine counts of extortion, punishable by up to 20 years in prison; $250,000 fine

• Four counts of bribery, punishable by up to 10 years in prison; $250,000 fine

• 13 counts of mail and wire fraud, punishable by up to20 years in prison; $250,000 fine

• Five counts of filing false tax returns, punishable by up to three years in prison; $100,000 fine

• One count of income tax evasion, punishable by up to five years in prison

Bobby Ferguson is facing 14 counts:

• Nine counts of extortion, punishable by up to 20 years in prison; $250,000 fine

• Four counts of bribery, punishable by up to 10 years in prison; $250,000 fine

Bernard Kilpatrick is facing six counts:

• Two counts of extortion, punishable by up to 20 years in prison; $250,000 fine

• Three counts of filing a false tax return; punishable by up to three years in prison; $100,000 fine

Victor Mercado is facing four counts:

• Two counts of extortion; punishable by up to 20 years in prison; $250,000 fine

• One count of obstruction of justice, punishable by up to20 years in prison; $250,000 fine

www.freep.com... y=obinsite
Jury questioning is starting this week and the trial may begin as early as this month. The witness list is awfully interesting as well. Here is a link to the list of felon witnesses who are waiting to hang the defendants out to dry. I will post a few but I suggest following the link and reading them all.

The government’s case includes more than 200 witnesses. Among the witnesses identified today:

• Derrick Miller, a childhood friend and ex-aide to Kilpatrick, also was charged in the case but cut a deal with the government and agreed to cooperate in exchange for leniency. Miller pleaded guilty last year to bribery and tax violations, admitting he took bribes, shook down contractors and once delivered a cash bribe to Kilpatrick. He faces up to 10 years in prison, but prosecutors have agreed to give him a shorter sentence depending on his cooperation.

• DeDan Milton, a longtime friend and former executive to Kilpatrick, is serving 42 months in prison for taking a $10,000 bribe involving the $3.5 million sale of a city-owned camp to the Chaldean Catholic Church in 2007. Milton is scheduled to be released in August 2013.

And here are some highlights of the case in this article here. It is a long article but again I highly suggest reading it as this stuff can happen in any city and not just Detroit.
www.freep.com...

Mercado and Kilpatrick are codefendants in what is expected to be one of the biggest public corruption trials in Detroit history. The two men -- along with Kilpatrick's father, Bernard Kilpatrick, and his longtime contractor friend Bobby Ferguson -- will go on trial Thursday on charges of running a criminal enterprise through the mayor's office to enrich themselves.
Jury questioning is to begin Thursday in the federal public corruption trial against Kwame Kilpatrick; his father, Bernard Kilpatrick; longtime contractor friend Bobby Ferguson, and ex-water boss Victor Mercado.

The jury pool has been whittled down to 225 people, and prosecutors and defense lawyers must narrow that list to 12 jurors and four alternates.

Opening arguments in the trial, which is expected to last four months, could start as soon as Sept. 14.

The four men were indicted in December 2010 on corruption charges. The 39-count indictment includes allegations of fraudulent schemes in awarding contracts in the city’s water and sewerage department.

The charges are punishable by up to 30 years in prison.

I will be following this trial closely as I hope to see them all found guilty and punished as severely as they can be. I believe there is alot riding on this trial for the city of Detroit. There own future may be decided in this trial. Anyway just thought I would post this for those who are interested.
edit on 3/9/12 by usmc0311 because: False start.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I was wondering when this would finally make it to court.

It's about time!

~ Will likely respond further if first post is edited?

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by QUANTUMGR4V17Y
I was wondering when this would finally make it to court.

It's about time!

~ Will likely respond further if first post is edited?

Sorry, my fingers got a little jumpy, plenty of info posted now.

join