Cold Hard Reality

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
reply to post by Kashai

So even though DNA is supposed to be the main thing for life (and thought?) the liver produces the most but the brain is still more important.

There was a theory that although the brain is functioning the body - the nervous system mange though and runs throughout the body like the nervous system.

I am familiar with that conclusion, the problem with it is in relation to the different types of nerve tissue...

The nerve tissue of the somatic nervous system is designed to help with voluntary body functions and other tasks that can be consciously controlled. Intentional muscle movement is an example of this type of tissue at work. The somatic nervous system also helps in awareness of immediate surroundings by assisting in the senses of the body such as processing sight and sound.

The autonomic nervous system contains tissue that helps regulate body functions that can not be controlled on a conscious level. Some of these functions include digestion as well as the regulation of the heart rate. The ability to sweat or produce saliva is also attributed to the tissue found in the autonomic nervous system. The act of breathing is a body function controlled by the cooperation of both the somatic and autonomic nervous systems.

Source
www.wisegeek.org...

Any thoughts?

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
For the record there is the case of Tummo. Where it has been verified by western science, that humans with the correct training, can control there autonomic function

Tummo is a very relevant aspect of Tibetan Buddhism.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

My understanding of consciousness, and thought, is that it is the product of chemical and electric reactions from synapses firing in the brain. That memory, thought, and our interpretation of sensory stimuli is all based on the way our synapses fire, and the connections that various portions of our brain make

reason tells us that that these electric reactions from synapses firing in the brain are not the product of the thought itself but only accompompany the thought. Ex: when we think of justice,for instance, we are not thinking of grooves in the brain or electric reactions or what have you. When it is said that mercy is kinder than justice , were not saying that mercy is more leanient than justice, or that justice is more strict. Im not comparing mercys grooves with the stricter grooves of justice. Justice and mercy are distantly apart. They both have different meanings. Electrical reactions or grooves in the brain have no distance. No meaning. Again, thoughts are not material such as electric reactions . Any thoughts?
edit on 14-9-2012 by Theophorus because: (no reason given)
edit on 14-9-2012 by Theophorus because: my quote is not working !!!!!

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

They both have different meanings. Electrical reactions or grooves in the brain have no distance. No meaning. Again, thoughts are not material such as electric reactions . Any thoughts?
reply to post by Theophorus

Hope you don't mind me asking, I was wondering while reading this above..... Where do you think thoughts come from? I have been meditating on this all night and feel like I may have a clue.
edit on 14-9-2012 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kashai
For the record there is the case of Tummo. Where it has been verified by western science, that humans with the correct training, can control there autonomic function

Tummo is a very relevant aspect of Tibetan Buddhism.

Essentially, mind over matter? Is that right?

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Where do you think thoughts come from? I have been meditating on this all night and feel like I may have a clue.

I would like to hear your input, if you don't mind.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
reply to post by MamaJ

Where do you think thoughts come from? I have been meditating on this all night and feel like I may have a clue.

I would like to hear your input, if you don't mind.

I feel as though your/ our thoughts come from our father, the Universal Mind. The All and the One.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

I feel as though your/ our thoughts come from our father, the Universal Mind. The All and the One.

I do as well. Some can come from the mind though, based off what he gives, if that makes sense. Sometimes a though is input there, and the human mind will take it at face value or expand on it, or even discard it.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Implied is that we are capable of awareness beyond the sum of our parts and yes those parts are made of matter.

Time is a form of communication
Consciousness transcends all
states that can be conceived as
matter.

Matter communicates its existence
to consciousness though time.

Man is infinite
God is more
than Infinite

Juan.
edit on 14-9-2012 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

mama j , I beleive that the only common denominator that humans share is that we come from the same source. Our mind is our own. Remember that the mind is nothing more than a will and intellect. It cant be anything else. We cant possibly share this collectively.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
A Cold Hard Reality is that consciousness, under the proper training? Allows us to survive conditions, that without the proper training cause death, generally within 30 minutes.

Any thoughts?
edit on 14-9-2012 by Kashai because: modified content

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Theophorus

Mercy and Justice are certainly not grooves in the brain. They are concepts, ideas. Mercy does not mean the same thing to every individual, neither does justice. Instead, what happens when we think of the word mercy, or the idea of mercy, is that our brains connect multiple synapses, all with some relation to our concept of mercy. So, when we think "mercy" what we're really thinking is of all the instances in which our concept of mercy was involved.

The same goes for any other type of conceptual idea, or word. Our brains collaborate with their own synapses to build a bigger picture of a thing. The same way that you can begin to have preferences in people, foods, media and the like. The more our brains encounter positive examples of a thing, the more likely we are to associate those experiences together.

This is how the idea of vigilante justice comes about, someone sees justice as being too soft, or ineffective and decide the real thing which needs to be done is to step outside of the bounds of legal justice. This applies to any type of conceptual idea too.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

I can definitely see this.

Although, the original intent of my thread had less to do with consciousness-training, and more to do with the idea that "love" is not a force, and that "oneness" is not the ultimate state of being.

But yes, I have read, and seen, both monks and those with great mental discipline perform very impressive feats. It has nothing to do with love or oneness though; and everything to do with good physical and mental maintenance.

A three hundred pound man who believes in love and oneness will not be able to hold his breath for 7 minutes without dying, no matter how hard he tried.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Which does not change the fact that with the proper training, he would survive conditions that kiil people, without that same training with Tummo....

"Lazar found a marked decrease in blood flow to the entire brain," Benson explains. "At the same time, certain areas of the brain became more active, specifically those that control attention and autonomic functions like blood pressure and metabolism. In short, she showed the value of using this method to record changes in the brain's activity during meditation."

Source..
news.harvard.edu...

What is the effect of emercing a person in water whose temp is 40 degrees F (Below the neck} say for one hour? Train a person in Tummo and he or she could actually perspire under the same conditions.

Any thoughts?
edit on 14-9-2012 by Kashai because: modified content

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

Tummo is localized regulation of body-heat, typically in the fingertips and toes. Fully submerging an individual in freezing water would result in hypothermia, because Tummo does not effect the entire body. Additionally, no evidence of Tummo's effectiveness outside of changing the temperature of toes and fingertips has ever been scientifically documented in a controlled demonstration.

So, while I do agree that the mind can alter the body in small ways through mental control, it cannot work wonders like the Monks, Gurus, and Yogis of Hinduism and Buddhism claim.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Theophorus
reply to post by MamaJ

mama j , I beleive that the only common denominator that humans share is that we come from the same source. Our mind is our own. Remember that the mind is nothing more than a will and intellect. It cant be anything else. We cant possibly share this collectively.

I see our mind as our soul. It is both made separate and is also one. It can be heavily influence by another because other energies ( seen or unseen ) are able to do that.

We have a protective shield ( aura) that surrounds us just as the earth does and so with the universe. As above, so below.

When this protective shield is lowered, meaning the vibratory field is at an extreme low, we then are allowing other energies to " influence".

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

reply to post by MamaJ

Implied is that we are capable of awareness beyond the sum of our parts and yes those parts are made of matter.

matter.

Man is infinite
God is more
than Infinite

Juan.

I totally agree and would like to expand thoughts here....

In my view God is without form of which all things are the form.

He is also without dimensions or proportions but contains all dimensions and proportions within its own true nature.

This appears in the apocalyptic of the New Testament.

So his true nature is the power of thought.... An eternal thinker.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

If God is both all forms, and all dimensions, then God is form and dimension. It requires special pleading, and the complete disregard for the laws of nature to say God has no form and no dimensions, except for every form, and every dimensions. Either God is, or is not, form and dimension. He cannot be both.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Any thoughts?

edit on 15-9-2012 by Kashai because: modified content

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

reply to post by MamaJ

matter.

Man is infinite
God is more
than Infinite

Juan.

I totally agree and would like to expand thoughts here....

In my view God is without form of which all things are the form.

He is also without dimensions or proportions but contains all dimensions and proportions within its own true nature.

This appears in the apocalyptic of the New Testament.

So his true nature is the power of thought.... An eternal thinker.

In consideration what we can comprehend as subjective, can have form in respect to the objective. Sub-atomic particles exhibit retro-causality.

Perception to date has allowed us to survive to this day.

Created at the same time takes another meaning if we could perceive time the way atoms did.

Any thoughts?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join