It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there more agnostics or christians in the USA?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Someone told me today that agnostics outnumbered christians in the USA today. I don't think so, but i can't get a decent search on google or yahoo to show any numbers.

Can someone clear this up for me?

Thanks.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   
There are no true Christians to begin with; if a true Christian, in a multitude of millions, walked this earth, we would see a much different America..

Deep

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Haha this is true Zero Deep...i agree...

so are there more agnostics or christian POSERS in the nation?

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Here you go; From the 2001 census:

Total Christian: 159,506,000

Total Agnostic: 991,000

Total Religious membership other than Christianity: 7,740,000

There's a total breakdown of all (declared) religous affiliation here, go to number 79.

www.census.gov...

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Thanks alot Kegs.

I was positive christians outnumbered agnostics by leaps and bounds, but didn't have the numbers to back it up...

And man, is that a HUGE difference or what?

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kwintz
Thanks alot Kegs.

I was positive christians outnumbered agnostics by leaps and bounds, but didn't have the numbers to back it up...

And man, is that a HUGE difference or what?

Yep...there's a lot blind running around in the USA!
Eyes are open, but they don't see a thing!

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Humm....just a question...if there are over 159 million Americans that are Christians.....that would mean most of these people, if not all, would vote for Bush....

BTW, i am not a religious person, but you would think Christians would vote for a more religious president than a candidate like Kerry....

humm....of course, i could be wrong...

[edit on 14-10-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 12:54 AM
link   
There's a lot of Christians that aren't practicing. They don't pray often, don't go to church often, don't read the bible. I think a lot of people fit in this category. I do. You can't assume this group to be voting Republican.

Then there's the group of Christians I refer to as "social" Christians. They only play the part of a Christian. They attend church to make the appearance, to find a date (honestly), or because it's just generally the in thing to do. I've noticed this mostly in smaller towns, but I'm sure they exist every where. Again, these people aren't necessarily Republicans.

A lot of people in that group are kids that are listed because of their parents. They can't vote Republican.

Although the overwhelming majority of Christians do vote Republican, added up these groups amount to millions and millions of people.

Not all people that consider themselves to be Christian act like Ned Flanders.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Zero,
I'm a true Christian. Please stop generalising Christianity because of a few bad apples in the bunch.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Humm....just a question...if there are over 159 million Americans that are Christians.....that would mean most of these people, if not all, would vote for Bush....

No... That's like saying if there was a white candidate, and a black candidate running, all whites would vote white. That's not necessarily true at all.

Don't forget, most Agnostics likely put "other" as they have no idea what Agnostic means, hehe...
Not a slight on intelligence, just that it's a religious term and usually such people aren't into the lingo that much...to have heard it before. I myself would likely qualify "loosely" in with Agnostic...but I have my own ideas on Spirituality...

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The "number of Christians" depends on how you define "Christain."

Most of the polls use the test of "does this person say they're Christian?" However, many people complaining of the numbers will consider Catholics to not be Christians and Mormons to not be Christians and so on and so forth.

And to some, the Christians they consider "lukewarm" are also not considered Christian.

top topics

join