It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should ATS ban the mentally impaired?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
No. This is a forum. Everyone's voice has equal weight, and should be heard. Whether you choose to believe it or not, is your problem.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
To steal a quote from one of my favorite movies...

Well we're all crazy or we wouldn't be here.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Thanks; and every day in every way we're all getting
better in here. But if I could quiet them all down, I'd
demand that we confess after a roll call vote proved
consensus of a clear and present wierdo in our midst.
Otherwise, safety in numbers BWAHAHAhaaaaa.
Otherwise, all 50 buttons on my calculator are quite
unsticky. And we can FIX stuff... teamwork, man.
Some schitzoidians can MULTITASK. Maybe a good
replacement sig.... what would 4 or 5 McGyvers do?
Darwin may suggest fixing a burst pipe in the kitchen
while simultaneously modifying the high voltage secondary
in the microwave to do 12 second bacon for Domo.
Howyadoin' svelte cat?

But I wouldn't worry too much about multiple personalities,
one of the two principal symptoms of schitzoid disorders
is withdrawal. We therefore refuse to withdraw the motion
and take the flames like a men.

Besides, none but a right brained guy would repeatedly
contend that two plus two will always equal the cube root
of the sixty-four dollar answer, minister.

edit:: God you gotta love this place.
edit on 4-9-2012 by derfreebie because: because to know us is to sometimes indulge our shortcomings.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Haha best thread in a long time. I just like the title.

Lots o ppl r gon be angwy!!! Ooo

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
meh, i'm well aware of the fact i'm insane, nothing much that can be done about it

besides no one on here ever talks to me anyway.....

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by blazingdefiance
meh, i'm well aware of the fact i'm insane, nothing much that can be done about it

besides no one on here ever talks to me anyway.....

That's because people on here only care about themselves stars or flags.

Im different though ill be your friend

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Wow..........^

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I can respect your concern for the person your talking about, but if you have genuine concern maybe you should inform someone.
Is this person making dangerous threats If so I hate to say it but he might have to be reported, we don't need that on us anymore than innocent people need to be hurt.
But I don't think you should ban us "crazies".

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
speaking as someone with mental health issues, i wish you would have put this better......it just looks like a witchhunt

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

define " mentally impaired " - in the context that its a reason to exclude someone from ATS

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
If you have a suspicion about someone, I would inform the mods. They have experience and a bunch of great minds. That way, you can let it go. That's what I would do, anyway.
a bunch of great minds?maybe you are mentally impaired.they are at best arrogant and biased minds.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

ATS have stated their rules and they read like something we used to call "common sense"; no Nazis rule writers in this bunch. People that are one step ahead of the world are called genius; those two steps ahead of the world are called nut cases. I believe everyone has something to contribute and sometimes it is not too coherent or unified but we are all sentient beings and each of us matters and deserves the right to be heard. I believe that the measure of a civilisation, is the way that they treat the helpless, disenfranchised and anyone else struggling to just get by. Let's not give in to elitist tendencies; we are one, the human race.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Did they break any of the rules? No..?

You have your answer.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
If you ban the mentally impaired, there would be no one left for the Paranormal and Alien forums.

I kid.

But not much,

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I think the same risk exists anywhere where such subject matter is discussed. Which includes in your living room, out on the street, in schools, etc. And just like those venues, it's impractical to ban everyone we think might show signs of mental instability. I believe the correct course of action would be the same one we would (hopefully) take in our private lives outside of ATS. Which is to say, contact someone who can responsibly and appropriately deal with the potential threat. In the case of ATS, the mods and in particular the administrators. I'm sure they have no desire to be affiliated, after the fact or before it, with a potentially dangerous individual.

What we can't do in my view, is create some sort of arbitrary litmus test for membership and then start banning people who don't meet it on the basis that they might be mentally unstable. Case in point: I have severe social anxiety relating to Asperger's syndrome, have suffered from depression occasionally, and several months back a friend and I heard a voice briefly that no one else heard and without a source for said voice. I can tell you I'm not delusional and am not insane, and that my therapist agrees, but you have no way to prove that. I can tell you I'm a pacifist and would never harm anyone, but you can't prove that. Should I be banned? Should my friend?

You may say, "No, because you haven't displayed any clear sign of intent to cause harm to yourself or others." Okay, but are we qualified to make that determination? And what should the criteria be? Who decides? And how many innocent but disturbed users would be banned as a result of whatever those criteria ended up being? You mentioned "disorganized thought" as a possible criterion. That's a fairly broad and subjective term.

I think there's just too much potential for creating a precedent on ATS for what amounts to a sort of e-discrimination in this proposal. Just my two cents. Peace.

edit on 9/4/2012 by AceWombat04 because: Typo

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by blazingdefiance

I'm right there with U man.... I know I've got a few screws loose, I tell people " I take my perfections and hold on to them for dear life, because, at times, thats all U got." Might have to read that one twice. I'll be your friend to, we do like some company way over here in left field!!!!

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
good to hear from thepolish1 and the caucasian american, nice to know there are people in similar positions in all corners of the globe

any of the other "screw loose" peeps comming to my house for the december eclipse, the best and longest viewpoint is the field next to my house, seriously no joke! tix are cheap if you buy now lol

love, light, and all that crap....

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

Why in the world would you think that? I'm a mother and a nurse! And if its to do with my profile pic, that my favorite music band! That is so not nice!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join