It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should ATS ban the mentally impaired?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

oi cheeky, thats me, im definitely not crazy! tut

oh darn cant believe i fell for that...

edit on 3-9-2012 by magicalearth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
If you suspect somebody to be a danger to themselves or others, alert the posts and the member in question.

ATS staff are not professional mental health experts and we use the T&C to determine who stays and who gets shown the door.

Remember that just because somebody's posts are non sensical, does not mean they are 'crazy'. Think of all the trolls that show up here in various forms or another attempting to pull a fast one on them. Most are relatively balanced and intelligent people.

Personally I believe that the vast majority of people we would call 'crazy' are just trollin' you for a certain response. Attempting to resolve the situation yourself, feeds that purpose.

One man's crazy person, is another's messiah.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
we have allready had two spree killers on here jared laughner and the trenchcote ones am i right?

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
I think I found out who it is

Check out their Profile definitely a crazy!!!

Hey I know that avatar, crazy man, just crazy, probably a danger........hey wait!
brice

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet
Good point Lysergic - Mods do ban people for several reasons
It is up to them to decide such matters

I think it's a last resort for anyone who has been here a while and should know better and it is a joint decision by more than one mod/admin I believe.

And any nutters who post here should NOT be banned just because of views that aren't accepted by other members. Way out there is good.

Dangerous is not......so if potential troublemakers who could cause serious problems in the world around them are banned from here, who's going to help them get some perspactive and maybe see the light and where can they speak out?
edit on 3/9/2012 by nerbot because: spellig

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Like I didn't expect this. Am I to take this as you just don't care?

Relax pal, you're the one who made the thread.

Personally I would've just sent a u2u to a mod, so I hope you're not upset about my joke, it's Silly, but so is this thread.
edit on 3-9-2012 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Yes you are right about trying to help others of course
There has to be good reason to ban a member as you say and as Ten has pointed out also.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
... perhaps, after reading the new topics everyday and the replies, there would be few left on this site...

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

I'm not talking bout the way out there thinkers. more, the severely depressed poster who is repeatedly expressing wanting to go bye bye...permanently. Especially if other troubled minds gravitate to the conversation and start egging each other on. Usually, other members here show a lot of compassion in those types of situations, and offer excellent advice and spiritual/emotional support to that member. I've seen some major cheering up happen here.

Des

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I am really insulted and appalled at your singling me out. I am a person that does care about people; and I have always enjoyed ATS until now.

You should really be ashamed of yourself and your cruel implications towards me.

You and some others are a great dissapointment.

EDIT: ok it has been explained to me that this is a running gag (from time to time) on ATS; right now I just don't find it funny; perhaps in another thread I might have.
edit on 3-9-2012 by caladonea because: edit

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I think determining if some one is "crazy/mentally impaired/imbalanced" is something that no other human being is qualified to make.

You may say that some people are obviously off their rocker. But everyone acts according to a given situation, according to the information they are aware of.

Who are you, who am I, or anyone to say we have all the information required to make a logical response to any given situation?

We may think we do, but do we really?

Many would find my ideas and principals highly objectionable. But according to all the information I currently have, they are the only logical courses of action.

I'll admit to rushing to judgment on others, but when you take the time to really get a broad enough perspective. Are the crazies really crazy? Or are we in the dark seeing only a small portion of the picture?

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

I am really insulted and appalled at your singling me out. I am a person that does care about people; and I have always enjoyed ATS until now.

You should really be ashamed of yourself and your cruel implications towards me.

pssstt...that link always goes to your own profile. It's a long standing prank on ATS, pulled at various times. If I click on it, it goes to my profile. I had the same reaction as you, the first time I fell for it, it had to be explained to me too....

Des

edit on 3-9-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

Oh I do hope that is just your sense of humor. If not, you should realise the link posted above takes each individual member to their own page. It was just a joke.

(Des beat me to it!
)
edit on 3-9-2012 by TortoiseKweek because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I have personal experience with going nuts on ATS and I can say that if I were banned from the site during my episode, I still wouldn't have stopped what I was doing, I would have just found another place to be crazy in. Most of my time was spend on Youtube watching 2012 enlightenment video's. I think that as long as the post is NOT violent or dangerous in any way then it shouldn't matter.

The best thing we can do is educate members to spot the signs. Grandiose writing style, very long and unstructured post's etc, the "I came here to tell you all!" type post's and encourage members not to star or flag.

I find it very interesting/disconcerting the huge number of people losing their shet these days. Good thread OP.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

I cried the first time I fell for that prank.....really, I did....

Des

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Thanks for explaining Des....in the context of the OP....it is just not funny; at least not to me.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Only a few posts ago I was accused of being deranged by another poster who had opposing views to me on a thread.
Insults like these are banded about regularly when passions are roused and vocabulary runs thin.
Or someone lets the devil in them out to play

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Never funny for the person having the joke pulled on. I found it shocking and hilarious when I clicked it and realized what it was doing.

If the person is a threat to anyone, including himself, let him know your worried about him and then sent a pm to a mod. After that, stop caring.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
You do understand that most posters on ATS would probably be considered anti-social by the establishment or have the same kinds of anti-social that he had, right? The medical & psychiatric community defines it as:

a condition characterized by repetitive behavioral patterns that are contrary to usual moral and ethical standards and cause a person to experience continuous conflict with society. Symptoms include aggression, callousness, impulsiveness, irresponsibility, hostility, a low frustration level, marked emotional immaturity, and poor judgment. A person who has this disorder overlooks the rights of others, is incapable of loyalty to others or to social values, is unable to experience guilt or to learn from past behaviors, is impervious to punishment, and tends to rationalize his or her behavior or to blame it on others. Also called antisocial reaction.

Which some or all of those personality traits is all part of the CTer personality. At least to some degree.
Because some of that is what makes a CTer what they are, a rejection of mainstream social beliefs. To which the establishment calls anti-social because people dare to think for themselves. After all, for some reason, in order to be social you have to conform to mainstream society, and follow their rules, in order to be a healthy individual.

I don't buy that for a second. I don't really think you want to either.

So do you really want to go there? I don't think you do. There would be no ATS if you banned anybody who has ANY of these tendencies. Because that would end up in a high number of people being banned. You see, there may be a lot of people on this forum who believes in things like UFOs are aliens and JFK was assassinated by the Freemasons/Illuminati etc etc..., but really, these beliefs are not accepted by mainstream society, regardless of how the CTer tries to wish it so.

And make ATS a rather dull and unentertaining place. All you'd have is basically a cheering place for people who are part of mainstream society who don't believe in the stuff. All threads would be something like this:

"I don't think that's a real video of a UFO. It must be a camera flare."

To which you'd have a hundred replies of which essentially says:

I agree with you. Good job.

Think about it.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
For the record. I am a psychiatric patient and have been for nearly 28 years. Mental illness is not a preclusion from participation in ATS.

However if you see a member who posts thing that you would consider a threat to the community, the world, or the member themselves... please report it immediately and let the staff handle it from there. Treat it like you would a real life situation. Passive people showing signs of mental illness don't scare most of us. But a person behaving aggressively, or making threats? We'd dial 911 ( or your nations equivalent ) to report it.

Consider staff to be like 911 in these cases.

~Heff

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join