It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should ATS ban the mentally impaired?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
If a member shows clear and consistent signs of a disorganized mind, does ATS want to be responsible for said member making the wrong connections in his/her thoughts?

I've heard that Jared Loughner was a member here, and he is responsible for a terrible crime. Loughner

I'm not implying that Jared got his murderous idea here, but with such extreme subject matter being discussed on a daily basis, someone like Jared COULD get a very wrong idea here.

A mentally ill member goes into a political forum, then jumps into the survivalist forum and reads suggestions on how to take down a bear. He then makes an illogical connection of how to take down a politician. Doesn't make sense to you or me, but this wrong conclusion would be easy for a disorganized mind.

So, should moderators be informed of such members? Would YOU want to be responsible for writing something (that's perfectly normal in any and all other circumstances) that pushes a mentally impaired individual into doing something really bad?

I believe we have such a member now, but I'm not naming names without advice from other members. Hopefully, you all know the member I'm referring to.

P.S. I placed this in Chat because right that's all it is. It won't become board business until someone asks a moderator to make a decision.
edit on 9/3/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I honestly think we should ban you for this thread.

Are you serious right now?

Get off the internet.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
If you have a suspicion about someone, I would inform the mods. They have experience and a bunch of great minds. That way, you can let it go. That's what I would do, anyway.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
If you think that is so Jigger you should alert a Mod

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaeus
reply to post by jiggerj

I honestly think we should ban you for this thread.

Are you serious right now?

Get off the internet.

He obviously has concerns and is in earnest
He is not advocating a witch hunt

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

How would you screen for that accurately?

One could say ATS is full of crazy, if you feel like you need to contact someone I'd u2u a mod instead of making a thread broadcasting this

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

So, should moderators be informed of such members?

I would think it wouldn't hurt to hit the alert button, especially if you seriously feel this person could be a threat....Yeah I would let the MODS take care of it...

I also haven't a clue whom you speak of....

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Good point Lysergic - Mods do ban people for several reasons
It is up to them to decide such matters

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I think I found out who it is

Check out their Profile definitely a crazy!!!

edit on 9-3-2012 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I have alerted twice when I felt over a period of time that someone may be a danger to themselves, or another. I don't feel it was the wrong thing to do. Once it's in the MOD's hands, it's no longer my concern. Other than a Prayer for the person I was concerned about. I don't go looking for troubled minds, but if one starts dumping in thread after thread....it's a red flag I can't ignore.

Des

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
reply to post by jiggerj

How would you screen for that accurately?

One could say ATS is full of crazy, if you feel like you need to contact someone I'd u2u a mod instead of making a thread broadcasting this

I didn't name this member, so it's just chat. I don't even know if it's any of our business. Plus, I want to know if other members would even consider this an issue.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
I have alerted twice when I felt over a period of time that someone may be a danger to themselves, or another. I don't feel it was the wrong thing to do. Once it's in the MOD's hands, it's no longer my concern. Other than a Prayer for the person I was concerned about. I don't go looking for troubled minds, but if one starts dumping in thread after thread....it's a red flag I can't ignore.

Des

Thank you for this response, Destiny. Do you know if the moderators took any action at all?

link   
reply to post by Lysergic

Ooooooo you little!!....

If someone is crazy, they will do crazy things regardless. You're not gonna stop him/her from doing what they do.

link   
I can understand the concern and would also agree with messaging a mod. The problem is you can't *really* tell for sure if someone has disorganized/violent thinking from a post on the internet unless they come out and type "I'm going to [insert violent intent]" etc. And that would get them banned anyway, I would think. Of course there are always indicators that may lead you to believe they are unstable... It's a fine line, that's for sure.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

So you sussed me out now I am going to have to kill you

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

Lol !! Good one , that's twice I've been caught with that one !!!

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Like I didn't expect this. Am I to take this as you just don't care?

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
have you alerted a Mod yet Jigger????
Think you should to put all our minds at rest

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I don't know what action they took. But, I didn't see one poster for some time afterwards. Some troubled minds seem to go through phases...you just never know how far off the sane path, they may venture. If my *gut* repeatedly yells louder and louder at me *danger*, I have to follow my instinct to at least give a warning if possible. The MODs, I'm sure have protocol in place for dealing with such situations.

Des

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

If you only knew half the story... LMAO. But my psychiatrist does say that I am doing much better. I am not half as crazy as I used to be. Maybe one day I will post my true life story on here. It is a good one...

Oh man so you set it up so whoever clicks gets their own profile. Good one. It took me a second to get that. I guess I failed the test and will be banned from ATS now.
edit on 3-9-2012 by crazyguy2012 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join