It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How You Think is Just as Important as What You Do

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Disclaimer: Yes, I did the search function first. How useful it is has yet to be determined.

www.deepsurvival.com/

If you have never read any of Laurence Gonzalez's books on survival, you need to. These are not books on how to start a fire underwater or the best techniques for beheading Zombies. Instead, he discusses thought and the power of the mind. And not just while you have been stranded on Mars with only a multi-tool and a six pack of Mountain Dew but every day of your life.

How you view the world, how you think during challenges, and how you deal with it all afterwards are critical. More critical than any piece of gear you own.

If I hear one more discussion on the perfection of a particular rifle during SHTF or whether to trust your neighbor or not, I am going to puke. It is meaningless unless what you have upstairs is on target with the circumstances around you. The gear and the plan will follow.

I have read too much crazy survival stuff here on ATS and am concerned some are really missing the boat. I gain nothing by recommending these books, but you do stand to gain by reading them. Flame me if you want, beans and bullets crowd but you will need more than just "stuff" to carry on.
edit on 3-9-2012 by ABNARTY because: sp

edit on 3-9-2012 by ABNARTY because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Yeah, in a true SHTF scenario you have all this time to get philosophical....

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Absolutely
Survival is a frame of mind
Regardless of what shiny toys you have to help

Star and friend for that
edit on 3-9-2012 by Neocrusader because: Added

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Neocrusader

Agreed. Back at ya'

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ABNARTY

I can't help but feel somewhat sorry for the people in those threads
The "what to pack in my BOB? " or "what shall I do if this happens"
Sorry but it's probably too late for you - if someone else has to tell you how to survive......your probably not gonna

edit on 3-9-2012 by Neocrusader because: Added

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Also ones ability to think clear and act decisevely under stress,you can make all the preperations in the world but if you panic or go into shock..could mean the diff between life and death..
Your mind is as powerful as any weapon,depends on how you use it

And in the end you can train,study,workout,and practice but as anything things don't usually go as planned,surviving is something that comes from within,it's bred in the bone,and simply not everyone has it..
edit on 3-9-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I agree.
Could people even go on living without today gizmos and gadgets? My answer is no.
Are most people ready to kill their dog or cat etc etc? In order to survive.
How many people are mentally prepared to to take another life if need be?
And in true last desperation how many would be mentally prepared to resort to cannibalism?
Mental preparation is more important than stock pilling thousands of rounds of ammunition, water, first aid (still great to have) but what happens when you can no longer hold out, you are running out of food ammo and you have to go get it.
edit on 3-9-2012 by JValhalla because: grammar

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I have used my rifles all my life, They are a part of me. I can hit most anything with them. Give me a new gun and I would have to practice with it for years to have it become a part of me. This means, no matter what my mental state, I will remember how to use them safely and responsibly.

When the SHTF happens, which it most definitely do, most of us will be changing our diet and each change changes brain chemistry a little. Things will not be as easy as we think and the initial shock of an event may make us spacy and disoriented. I say when it happens, the events may be local or country wide. A tornado ripping apart a town is a SHTF if you live in that town. Same with a hurricane or flood or even a snowstorm that drops eight feet of snow in a day. All of these have one thing in common. Preparedness, both material and mental, are needed. Having a months worth of food minimum in stock is wise, Oh it was only a week event....Are you going to let your friends starve just because they weren't prepared? If you don't will they still be your friends? Most times a week to two will be plenty of time for the food and electricity to come back on. I keep about a month minimum stocked for my whole family. If a major event happened we could stretch it out to two. The earth will provide also, I believe in keeping some extra seeds and we can fish and hunt if needed till the animals and fish are gone. The earth will take care of us if we treat it with respect.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ABNARTY

Paranoia and survivalism has now become a growth industry; taken over by very savy Jewish marketing dudes in walnut paneled offices in Manhattan.

All the gear, guns, storeable food, 4x4s, etc. is targeted to a demographic, advertised in specific media outlets and sold just like Depends, junkfood, or Miley Cyrus cds.

I wonder if ATS is being used as a meme generator..............

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

We all have a right to care for our families,in the case of an emergency i'd rather be prepared than not,those you call paranoid today could be tomorrows survivors sir,you may well be knocking on there door if and when tshtf..

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by all2human
reply to post by olaru12

We all have a right to care for our families,in the case of an emergency i'd rather be prepared than not,those you call paranoid today could be tomorrows survivors sir,you may well be knocking on there door if and when tshtf..

Why did you make the assumption I'm not as prepared as you? Just because I know how the "market" works doesn't mean I haven't made provisions as well. I live in the footprint of one of the largest calderas on the planet that could blow at any given moment. See now what the OP meant when he said "How You Think is Just as Important as What You Do" ?

Assumptions can be deadly!!

edit on 3-9-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ABNARTY

The power of the mind you say ? I give you a star, I give you a flag and I give you this.

The power of the God given mind.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I disagree, they want dependency.

Self sustainability is the ultimate freedom.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iron7
reply to post by olaru12

I disagree, they want dependency.

Self sustainability is the ultimate freedom.

I both affirm and agree.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Neocrusader

Just pursue the threads in the Survival forum, you can see it. It's not just ATS but elsewhere too.

I have read threads where the two counterarguments cover the most ridiculous of subjects. Like, is rabbit better than chicken? How do you kill the rabbit or chicken? Which animal makes more noise and will tip off your hungry neighbors? Which animal travels better in the undercover of darkness? Which animals' bones make better weapons? Chickens have been too hybridized and therefore are a tool of the illuminati......AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

There's gold in dem dar paranoid hills!

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Awesome points. People never consider this stuff. They truly believe catastrophe will only happen when they are well rested, well fed, and at the beginning of the work day. By 5PM, all should be well in hand. All Zombies will be slain, all 50,000 acres of heirloom vegetables will be planted, and I will have been elected mayor of Survivor-ville. Time for DWTS.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Good Video.

The author of the books I linked too has something similar to say. Our minds work off of what we think we know. We reed where a person lost in the woods starts running off the trail and off a cliff because...well we do not know why. It makes no sense. Yet to the lost person, it made perfect sense. Why? The author does a great job describing why.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I apologize for jumping to conclusions..
but doesn't detract from my point we may need each other

top topics

<<   2 >>

join