It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA approves $100,000 for Sideways

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

NASA approves $100,000 for Sideways

economictimes.indiatimes.com

A new type of 'Ninja style' aircraft that spins 90 degrees in air for efficient faster-than-sound flight and "virtually zero sonic boom" has been granted $ 100,000 by NASA for further development.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
i just saw this on the news, and i didn't see it on here, so i found a link for you guys to check out, might not be the best source but you can google it, there are more sources.

I find it pretty funny they're only giving them 100,000 dollars develop something like this, makes you think they're pretty they can do it for so cheap. I think they've already made one and they're testing someone else to see if they can do the same, or this is how they plan on releasing the technology since it seems so sci-fi. They could also just be trying to jump on ship though since they haven't been able to do anything lately.

economictimes.indiatimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 3-9-2012 by WanderingThe3rd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Nasa needs to be disbanded and the private sector should take this over.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iron7
____________ needs to be disbanded and the private sector should take this over.

fixed.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
100.000 woudnt even pay 1 engineer's wages for a year

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Why does NASA have the power and ability to approve funds that are to be given to the University of Miami?

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Sort of cool. The proposal paper says that the N-wave is sort of stretched out (in computer simulations).

It means that the conventional N-wave could be replaced by a strong acoustic wave, which is expected to generate a much less impulsive force and hence noise.
www6.miami.edu...

For comparison. At 60,000 feet and Mach 1.5 the Space Shuttles produced a sonic boom with an overpressure of 1.25 lb/sf. This ship at the same altitude and speed would produce 0.3 lb/sf, about one forth that of the Shuttle. An old F-104 at 48,000 feet produced 0.8 lb/sf.

$100,000 won't go far (just more computer modelling) but it's not really a high priority project.

Nasa doesn't expect the design to take off (in any sense) for at least 20 years, but said it wanted to fund concepts that might represent the future of air travel.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

edit on 9/3/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
haha 100,000, that's pennies. I'm sad for NASA.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Sort of cool. The proposal paper says that the N-wave is sort of stretched out (in computer simulations).

It means that the conventional N-wave could be replaced by a strong acoustic wave, which is expected to generate a much less impulsive force and hence noise.
www6.miami.edu...

For comparison. At 60,000 feet and Mach 1.5 the Space Shuttles produced a sonic boom with an overpressure of 1.25 lb/sf. This ship at the same altitude and speed would produce 0.3 lb/sf, about one forth that of the Shuttle. An old F-104 at 48,000 feet produced 0.8 lb/sf.

$100,000 won't go far (just more computer modelling) but it's not really a high priority project.

Nasa doesn't expect the design to take off (in any sense) for at least 20 years, but said it wanted to fund concepts that might represent the future of air travel.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

edit on 9/3/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Link to Miami.edu broken?

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by FractalChaos13242017

No. It's a large pdf and a slow server.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Trying to visualize this aircraft,any pics?

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
oh wow, interesting design, looks like a shurikan...You would think the air force would have come across a design of similarity, if not already. ehh, too bad for nasa.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I'm not calling aliens on UFOs before you say anything, but if ANY of the UFO incidents over the last hundred years are true, then this project is whack (hence the hundred grand) and nothing compared to what TPTB may have in their hangars

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Why do I always see people digging on NASA? They are doing amazing things in space that will eventually lead to our moving out there. They are paving the way for our long-term future as a species. No other group can say that. What's even more amazing is that they can do it with the utter pittance that they get from the do-nothing Congress.

Just my take.

TheBorg :-)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
That is awesome!

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Phage, That is a truly out there design. Am I looking at it right? It has propulsion only on one side? I.e. like a twin engine aircraft with only one engine operational? So it spins?

Arrgghh Confused?

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

It doesn't spin. It has two flight modes; sub and supersonic. At subsonic speed it uses the high aspect wings. When it's going to go supersonic the engines rotate 90º (so does the plane) and the low aspect ratio wings are used.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ahhhhhhhhh, sorry, so bloody dumb today. Thanks

What a great idea.

God, I bet the transition between the two will be interesting. I'll be keeping my hand down for first dibs!

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

"This is your captain speaking. We are about to transition to supersonic flight mode. You may experience slight discomfort as we plummet for a short time."

Pretty much a variable geometry concept. An odd one.

<<   2 >>

join