It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want ≠ Need

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Visiting the AT&T store wasn't such a pleasant experience today, but a great learning experience; background information: My iPhone 4 was stolen 10 months ago and wasn't covered by AT&T nor Apple, so I was fine with a Blackberry bold. Unfortunately, that blackberry bold had an LCD screen failure a few days ago. Basically, I was in need of a new phone.
The prices for buying even the most simplest smartphone (when not buying a 2 year contract) are complete bologne
. While observing the environment in the AT&T store, the sales associates were appealing to pathos thinking and marketing, in order to sharply persuade customers to become embellished in the need for these smartphones.
(Almost to the point) A realization sparked while the sales associate was trying to coax me into buying another Blackberry...I don't NEED this. There is a perfectly fine cheap phone at my house which accepts my sim card, and functions completely fine. The last words that came out of my mouth before I turned away and left was "materialism doesn't serve my health, happiness, or being in any way, shape, or form."

Next time any petty 3rd dimensional problems start to influence your emotions, remember what is most important to your body, mind, and soul...Necessities, not wants or selfish desires.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Good point you have raised through your experience

We always get what we need but it may not be what we want.
I think being able to accept this makes life much easier

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

Acceptance can be a solution, but recognizing a situation with a deeper level of thinking/feeling changes your whole perspective of the experience. Letting go of any attachments or disappointments feels so good
edit on 3-9-2012 by sgspecial19 because: typo

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by sgspecial19

Acceptance can be a solution, but recognizing a situation with a deeper level of thinking/feeling changes your whole perspective of the experience. Letting go of any attachments or disappointments feels so good
edit on 3-9-2012 by sgspecial19 because: typo

I do know what you mean - It is more than just words - I catch myself out thinking such things as I want this or that yet as you say being able to accept things does feel good

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by sgspecial19

Wait for Boost Mobile to come out with Blackberry. $50 a month for unlimited everything.

So really, this thread is about patience.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Wait for Boost Mobile to come out with Blackberry. $50 a month for unlimited everything.

So really, this thread is about patience.

Good point Patience that is - Like the saying goes "All good Blackberry's come to they who wait"

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

But letting go of attachments and disappointments depletes the learning experiences each provides. Everything has a purpose...the trick is to not rely on the purpose, but to use it to the most beneficial end according to your priorities.

And there, we've put the finger on the problem: priority. That's the entire problem. We've forgotten, or are ignoring, the importance of certain things and exaggerating the importance of others because for whatever reason, we prefer the benefits provided by the other thing.

Which is where priorities come into play. Or lack thereof, rather.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

But letting go of attachments and disappointments depletes the learning experiences each provides. Everything has a purpose...the trick is to not rely on the purpose, but to use it to the most beneficial end according to your priorities.

Letting go in regards to having a new profound perspective of all your struggles and experiences, that you just BE, instead of overanalyzing and overassessing what should have or could have.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I think it is great that you took the situation as a learning opportunity - Most would just complain that they did not get what they want.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

I have gone most times without a cellphone. To me, not getting the cellphone I want is like not getting the front seat on the bus. I would have preferred, but it's no biggie. My life will go on.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I have gone most times without a cellphone. To me, not getting the cellphone I want is like not getting the front seat on the bus. I would have preferred, but it's no biggie. My life will go on.

Sounds like you have a good approach to life.
Yes sometimes "It just is what it is"

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

We've developed a "I invented it, so I have a right to it," mindset. That's how I know we invented the Christian "god", because the whole fable has our watermarker on it: "We made it, we have a right to it."

Um, no we don't. Why? Just because we made it, doesn't mean it's good for us. Perhaps BECAUSE we made it, it isn't good for us.

...my mind works in strange ways. That doesn't make me wrong.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

We've developed a "I invented it, so I have a right to it," mindset. That's how I know we invented the Christian "god", because the whole fable has our watermarker on it: "We made it, we have a right to it."

Um, no we don't. Why? Just because we made it, doesn't mean it's good for us. Perhaps BECAUSE we made it, it isn't good for us.

...my mind works in strange ways. That doesn't make me wrong.

True we have made lots of stuff that is not good for us - some stuff is depending how we use it of course.

Leonardo invented the Submarine but hid his plans away - Saying it could be used to sink ships.
Heck - Human flight and the development of airplanes - Hey lets strap bombs to it.
The Human mind is both beautiful and perverse

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

It's because we're afraid of coming to an end. We haven't reconciled ourselves with the fact that to have an ending is a blessing. Imagine if you couldn't die...what would you do with 500 quintillion years of life? That's 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 years. And that's less than 1/1,000,000,000 of immortality. Less than 0.00000001 percent of immortality. How would you feel when you reach the last five minutes of the last day of the last year of those 500 quintillion years, knowing that you are as far away from a new beginning as you were a quintillion years ago? And that you'll be just as far away after the next 500 quintillion years?

That, to me, would be the worst kind of hell. To have done literally everything you could do, to the point that absolutely nothing pleases you anymore, and you still have the rest of forever to live.

We don't understand that. We can only see how short life is, because of how short we've made it with all this death and hatred, and it scares us to think life is so fragile. It makes us desperate for one more minute, and we do whatever we can to secure it. Especially people who are afraid of what comes after, because of what we've done.

I don't fear death, because I don't regret this life. And most of all, because I can't lose. If there's a hell, I am most certainly going there, because I won't give a tyrannical god the benefit or pleasure of my presence and servitude. Many people don't see it that way, but it isn't a matter of pride for me. It's a matter of doing what's right. And you don't reward a bully.

Plain and simple.
edit on 3-9-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Good stuff

I am already dead just refuse to go yet as this life is such an adventure

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

To answer you on a more serious note from myself
Death was the one thing that always perplexed me - I was driven to find an answer.
Death as an end to everything or anything other than some sort of being seemed cruel and as you say tyranical
If we have the courage to look we find our own answers though what lays ahead is probably wilder than we can imagine - I think in a good way
I love life and will love what follows this short stay on Earth
It is all good I think

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

You seem very wise. Leave the excessive "wanting" and "buying" to people that do not have self realization yet. That depend on "things" to define them or "give them status".

Caring less is good, it allows you to be your natural self and to laugh when things such as this happen.

"Why do I care so much about wasting all this money on a new phone, when this isn't even a big deal?"

Sometimes, when I think in these terms I remember that people are just too serious and when they CHILL OUT, they'll know that they've been trying to hard to achieve "this" or "that" - which is like the hamster running in the circle spinning wheel for the cheese.

It is depressing after all of the struggle but it is funny in the end.

Hopefully other people will have this realization like you did.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Was the first post about already being dead from a spirit you were channeling? And if so, does that mean spirits can choose to remain on this plane for a time?

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Was the first post about already being dead from a spirit you were channeling? And if so, does that mean spirits can choose to remain on this plane for a time?

To be reborn you have to die - The idea of rebirth is a very ancient philosophy.
Yet it does not mean that you literally die - It is a letting go of the old indoctrinated self and is a process or initiation into knowledge and self realization,
Those who have gone through this process have been called "The Grateful Dead"
The only channeling involved is the eventual channeling of ones higher self.

new topics

top topics

join