It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kerry "Drags" Cheney's Gay Daughter into the Political Fray

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Edwards didnt bring up cheneys daughter, it was mentioned in a question... i thought edwards tactfully changed the subject when it happened... i didnt see the debate but from what i've read, Kerry said something like...

I bet cheney thinks his daughter is being himself' when the question was about homosexuality being natural... although i disagree with dragging cheneys daughter into it... i'm sure its better than bush'd response of 'uhh umm' (or something similar in typical bush style)

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by friday2112
Yes, Your right he didn't need to talk about Cheneys daughter. Although we all know if these right wing, gun toting, bible thumping, flag waving christian fanatics had their way they would exterminate all gay people and anyone who doesn't believe as they do. imo

That's a hell of a generalization your making there. Not every one on the "right wing" is this extreme. I consider myself a right-winger, but i'm an agnostic and it wouldn't bother me a bit if gays were allowed to marry.

And if you watched the debate tonite, you saw that when Bush was speaking about his "faith", that's what he spoke about--his FAITH. He mentioned God, but not once did he mention christianity. He said he based his decisons on morals, not totally on religion. Senator Kerry, however, spoke of his Catholic upbringing and his CHRISTIAN BELIEFS. Don't call "bushies" bible thumpers, there are just as many christians voting for John Kerry as their are voting for bush. I live in the bible belt, and there are more Kerry supporters around here than Bush supporters.

I understand where you're coming from friday2112, but next time specify that EXTREME RIGHT WINGERS are like that.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ktprktpr
Kerry was using Mary Cheney in order to highlight a glaring inconsistency within the Bush adminstration.

Too bad Kerry agrees with this specific inconsistency, or else I might agree somewhat. We keep saying "within the administration" but Cheney's daughter is NOT within the administration. Cheney's daughter does not represent the views of Cheney, I sure as hell know I don't represent the views of MY father. Is that a problem? Is it such a problem that a man can attempt to run a country without being attached to his personal issues, instead following what he truly believes to be right as based on the Constitution and US law?

Gay marraige should be legal, bottom line (to me at least). To Cheney, it just so happens to be the other way around.

If its not her dad thats outlawing it, its Kerry. No matter what, she's not getting married anytime soon. That is messed up, I know, but its true. So why drag her into this? This election is dirty enough as it is, lets jsut start aiming the targets at our families. Gee, I can't wait to see a 60-second political ad on this one.

(Sorry for the sarcasm, its hard to tell over the computer)

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I think it's completely fair. He did not degrade Cheney's daughter. The only thing appalling about that whole incident is how people are acting so offended by it. Is it shameful to admit that someone's daughter is gay? It's insulting to insinuate that, which is basically what everyone is doing when they get on Kerry for saying what he did.

Bush and friends don't mind playing the nation against itself by bringing up this gay marriage amendment strictly for political purposes, so if the Democrats want to play the Republicans against their own base by bringing up that Cheney has a gay daughter, so be it. It's fair game.

As a gay person, I completely support Kerry and Edwards for bringing up Cheney's daughter, as long as they don't insult her (which they won't do). If Republicans want to drum up some votes by sponsoring anti-Gay bills, it's completely within bounds for Democrats to play on that same anti-gay sentiment by point out Cheney has a gay daughter. And it's sad it has to be that way, but it was Bush and his administration that saw fit to put this on the nation's agenda so that he could win some much-needed votes.

If a court rules that its state constitution says that everyone must be treated equally, and allow gays to marry because of it, that IS INTERPRETING THE LAWS. That is not legislating from the bench. So no, the courts did not bring this issue into the forefront, Bush did. The courts were just doing their job.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I've never been married and childless. I would imagine that if I had a daughter, I would be proud of her no matter what. If she's gay, fine. Shout it from the rooftops. I don't give a crap. I'm going to love my kids, no matter what you think of them.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   
It shouldn't matter where your political ideology lies, this was a low blow done by the Democrats. When criticizing or attacking your opponent, you attack their politics and not dwell into personal family issues. What the hell does Cheney's daughter being lesbian has to do with politics? Nothing. It should never had been brought up in the Edwards-Cheney debate, and for Kerry to bring it up again displays how much class he really has. All in all, when attacking candidates, stay in issues actually relating to politics and not personal family matters.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Forgive my ignorance, but, what was said about his daughter and in what context ? I never watched that part of the debate.

Deep

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   
The question was essentially do you believe that being gay is a choice.

I haven't seen the full transcript yet, but here is part of what Kerry said:

"It's not a choice. Talk to Dick Cheney's daughter, who is a lesbian, she would tell you she's being who she was."

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
"Too bad Kerry agrees with this specific inconsistency ... "

I think you're confusing my meaning slightly. Cheny's daughter is not within the Bush adminstration. But Cheney is. And how he acts towards his daughter is reflective, in part at least, of the Bush adminstration. And Cheney and the Bush adminstration don't see eye to eye. This is inconsistent. That's all Kerry was pointing out.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by friday2112
right wing, gun toting, bible thumping, flag waving christian

This much I don't really have a problem with, although reading might be a more appropriate use of the bible than thumping. I would like to point out the obvious, you can come on this group and deride christians and christianity or Americans and America and you will get 50 responses praising your name, but don't dare say something negative about Canada, Austrailia, England, blacks, homosexuals, muslims, Saddam, Ho Chi Minh, Mao or communism, because you will draw down the wrath of the left wing.

I'm a gun-toting, bible-reading, flag-waver from way back and don't you forget it.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Kerry is smart. He said it for impact. Its no secret of Cheneys gay daughter. He got his point across.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by W_HAMILTON
I think it's completely fair. He did not degrade Cheney's daughter. The only thing appalling about that whole incident is how people are acting so offended by it.

This is an intersting take on events. How would you have reacted if he had dragged one of Kerry's daughters into the fray? Using kids to make political points smacks of desperation IMHO. How would you like it if i dragged you out on national TV and used you for political gain? I guessing you would not like it one bit.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Kerry is smart. He said it for impact. Its no secret of Cheneys gay daughter. He got his point across.

dgtempe, like Kerry, has the ethical standards of a rattlesnake. As long as he made his point, dragging a family's personal business into the debate is okay. What if Bush had brought up Kerry's daughter's attire at Cannes.

"Hey, Kerry, Alexandra's some babe, huh. How 'bout let's getting over for a barbeque in that dress some time, huh? How 'bout it buddy?"

That would be cool wouldn't it.

And furthermore, disallowing gay marriage has nothing to do with discrimination. You can't marry your parents, your siblings, a child or your doberman, either, yet.

There are legal options for homosexual partners other than marriage. The real issue is not marriage but social disruption.

[edit on 04/10/14 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I'm a gun-toting, bible-reading, flag-waver from way back and don't you forget it.

Make that 2!

Proudly, I stand with you!

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

"Hey, Kerry, Alexandra's some babe, huh. How 'bout let's getting over for a barbeque in that dress some time, huh? How 'bout it buddy?"

Hehe , but you know that it not possible because of something called class

Originally posted by GradyPhilpottAnd furthermore, disallowing gay marriage has nothing to do with discrimination. You can't marry your parents, your siblings, a child or your doberman, either, yet.

Well that would be the next step, maybe legalize what NAMBLA stands for to, so that when Americans see them ay the DNC, they will know what they stand for, most dont now.....Kept under the rug U know...

Originally posted by GradyPhilpottThere are legal options for homosexual partners other than marriage. The real issue is not marriage but social disruption.

Spot On!

[edit on 14-10-2004 by edsinger]

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
How would you like it if i dragged you out on national TV and used you for political gain? I guessing you would not like it one bit.

Umm, guess what? Bush already has done this by pushing gay marriage into the national agenda for "political gain." If that's fair game, so is pointing out that Cheney has a gay daughter which apparently Cheney, Bush, and Republicans are ashamed of seeing as how they either deny her completely when this discussion is brought up (Cheney / Bush), or they act outraged when someone dares mention that the VP has a lesbian daughter (the rest of the Republicans).

If you want to "drag people out" for political gain, don't act all upset when it's turned back around on you.

Not once has Kerry or Edwards made degrading remarks about Cheney's daughter, in fact, they seem to be the only ones willing to say anything positive about her. And for that, they should have no regrets. Republicans who are 'outraged' that they dared to mention Cheney has a lesbian daughter, or Bush/Cheney for trying to shy away from even noting she exists -- those are the one people that should be ashamed. Not Kerry or Edwards.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Well I have a mother who was to be a Kerry voter, should that be dragged out in the open?

Look it is bad taste, he could have said nice things as he did about Bush's family, not pointing out that one has a big ZIT on her forhead and we should all notice it.

Bad taste....

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Hamilton, notice it is the same Bushies patting each other on the back, saying good job Bush, sending our jobs over seas was a great decision! With holding the info from the CIA saying no WMDs in Iraq then blaming the CIA when no WMDs are found, great job! Not drooling on yourself or yelling at the earpiece, wow, he won this debate! It is the same people, never seem to change. At least I know Kerry is evil, but well, a vote for Badnarik is a vote in the garbage, and support what Kerry supports, except he is the lesser evil, still evil though.... At least no one in his whitehouse would be making laws making their kids criminals.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 02:04 AM
link   
"Is the Vice Presedents daughter gay?"
Then he ask, "Why would Kerry say that to the presedent?"
I said, "Because Kerry wants people to think the pres hates gay people?"
Then he ask, "Does the pres hate gay people?"
I said, "no"
Then he ask, "why are people gay?"
I said, "I don't know, they just are."
His last statement " Kerry should'nt make fun of the VP daughter."
I said, "he'll say anything to win!"

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Once again, a hot election issue and a heated rhetoric filled thread. Bush bad, Kerry good. Kerry bad, Bush good. In reality John Kerry used a known situation(Cheney's daughter) to his advantage and while I think that it was fair that doesn't make it the "high road". Both candidates will say and do anything to try and win this election. Both, that's right I said both, are vote pandering politicians tied up with big money interests and have no clue.

doctorduh

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 03:09 AM
link   
[edit on 10/14/2004 by Lecky]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join