It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Migaloo the dog has a nose for archeology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Say hello to a new type of archeologist.

I like this idea and is kind of surpriced it havn't been used more untill now.
It could be that dogs tend to dig, and they could by accident ruin important artifacts or dig sites.

It's going to be exciting to see what this and other dogs can sniff out of the ground, it's propably mostly going to be old bones and very old dead bodys, but could be a great tool to find them a litle faster.

MEET Migaloo - the wonder dog that can sniff out a 600-year-old human skeleton buried almost 2m underground

The three-year-old female black labrador cross is believed to be the world's first trained archeology dog.
She is destined to work on surveys of Aboriginal sacred sites across Australia, with other dogs now likely to be similarly trained to work on excavations at ancient civilisation sites such as Egypt, the Americas, Asia, and Europe.
Brisbane dog expert Gary Jackson trained the clever canine using 250-year-old skeletal remains from an Aboriginal burial site, on loan from the South Australian Museum.

"At the moment in the world of archaeology there is no tool that can tell you there are human remains underground, we use ground penetrating radar, magnetic susceptibility and historical or oral records. "But now Migaloo the wonder dog can do it."

Mods: I am not sure this is the right forum, you decide

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Interesting, but also somewhat problematic. Dogs are considered "unclean" in some cultures and many aboriginal/Native American/etc tribes actively fight efforts to dig up the bodies of their people. Some cultures did practice inhuming their loved ones under their houses... but many did not.

On the other hand, it'd be great to have her doing city and town archaeology or helping out at military forts and plantations!

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

I'm sure they will respect the aboriginal/Native American/etc culture or religion if that should be the case.

I was also thinking it could maybe be of good use for hidden burial chambers/ tombs in ruins and such, a nose like that could be trained to find all sorts of things.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I wanna train one to sniff out steel and gold. Then go around europe digging medival treasures.
Labs ftw!

new topics

top topics

join