It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prepping the right way for true survival

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by onecraftydude

ive used the iodine its great for the digestive system..
youve done a lot of work in this.
i hope it may help someone
i was told theres only a few thangs that you cant eat...

our only hope
The spontaneous organization of people at the ground level to look not to government but to look to their neighbors, their church, their temple, secure their family and then see who needs help.

Once stability is restored the economy will start again but
not with imports from foreign lands because their collapse will be far greater, far more violent, far more starvation as they are ripped from the American tit of consumption.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by madenusa
one little tip for all urban people please dont thank you can go running into the woods and take what you want,
theres a lot of nice people liveing in the woods that have to ruff it every winter while your takeing the grocery store for grant it.
now that its closed dont just walk into someones back yard in the woods, they might be home when it looks deserted,lol

this will happen, no matter what you say. i think what will happen in the future is that there will be a currency collapse, much like what argentina went through. their form of money wasn't gold, it was silver...lower value, easier to buy things with. let's face it, if someone has fresh vegetables, they won't make change for a kuggerrand or an american eagle...silver dimes, quarters, half dollars will be trusted, easy to carry or hide, and useable for the smaller everyday items needed. there was a book put out that told the story of how a guy survived down their using the barter system, silver coins, etc....

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
From my experience and observation, I agree, mostly.
Let me tell you where I disagree.

Keep in mind this is dependent on the actual circumstance.

I moved to Chicago around age 27, and witnessed traffic jams that could not be defined.
These were jams for no significant reason, other than a Cubs game letting out, or simple Friday night traffic.

There was no way in the world that anyone was going anywhere safe (look at a map) without getting stuck.
Mind you, this wasn't a SHTF event, just everyday occurrences.

I have since moved back to where I am comfortable, the woods, but I always felt the best scenario in that urban environment was to have enough stock on hand to be able to stay put for about 2-3 days.

That way, if the worst were to happen, I'd let the unprepared fools run into the streets, get stuck in traffic, mobbed at stores, etc.

After the initial shock, and the chaos that followed, I'd have a much better chance on bike, or foot.
Let the animals kill each other off.

I always believed I'd have a much better chance a few days after the initial shock, but before the actual desperation set in.

Your thoughts?

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oaktree
From my experience and observation, I agree, mostly.
Let me tell you where I disagree.

Keep in mind this is dependent on the actual circumstance.

I moved to Chicago around age 27, and witnessed traffic jams that could not be defined.
These were jams for no significant reason, other than a Cubs game letting out, or simple Friday night traffic.

There was no way in the world that anyone was going anywhere safe (look at a map) without getting stuck.
Mind you, this wasn't a SHTF event, just everyday occurrences.

I have since moved back to where I am comfortable, the woods, but I always felt the best scenario in that urban environment was to have enough stock on hand to be able to stay put for about 2-3 days.

That way, if the worst were to happen, I'd let the unprepared fools run into the streets, get stuck in traffic, mobbed at stores, etc.

After the initial shock, and the chaos that followed, I'd have a much better chance on bike, or foot.
Let the animals kill each other off.

I always believed I'd have a much better chance a few days after the initial shock, but before the actual desperation set in.

Your thoughts?

Well certainly, I agree with you on this. This sounds like something I would do even. However, there may be certain scenarios that may require you to get moving immediately. So I have been trying to balance out when preparing ourselves between the different scenarios.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Just got a Costco flyer today in the mail and it has some interesting Emergency Food Storage kits. The prices are not that bad. For instance, 1 person for 1 month food storage is $84.99. FOr those who plan on bunkering down this may be worth looking into.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

IMO the first 2-3 days are the days you should be making your way out of the urban environment, if not sooner. My reasoning for this is that during the first couple of days there will still be food and supplies available to the masses and they will be scrambling around in an attempt to gather what they can. Sure you may be at some risk by moving out then and you may have to make it on foot or bicycle but if you try and wait it out for 2 or 3 days after a SHTF situation you are putting yourself in more danger.

Its not like the roads will be more clear in a couple of days, in fact it will most likely be worse. There is also the very real possibility that as time passes by even a couple of days people will become more desperate and chaotic. We seen during the aftermath of Katrina that there were also large bands of gang like groups that were looting not out of need but were simply taking advantage of the shear lawlessness. Trying to traverse an urban environment when people are getting desperate and chaos is starting to really take hold will only put you in further danger.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
i that might be hardest is nowing if the s is actuly hiting the fan
i dunno i guess you gota read between the lines

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
My hat is off to you sir! Thank you for your service, I had to respond when I saw that you trained at Black Rapids. I am not military, but I have driven past that installation in the best of weather and absolute whiteout, one winter we had to stop our car on the highway every time a vehicle passed the other way so we would not drive into the river.
I have always had a special respect for the people who take on that training,and I have known a few.
Thank you for sharing your true expertise with us. How about a thread on true deep winter survival? Some of us could really use it!

And to return to the topic, Thank you for pointing out some of the special circumstances people have to deal with in reality. My BOB has been rehashed so many times because children bring their own challenges. We have so many natural occurrences that could force us from our home for any length of time. I have found that the forage option leaves the most room for error. We also practice (without practicing) my oldest son was so proud of himself when he started his fire with a magnesium bar and a knife.

Materials are useless without the ability to use them.Knowledge and skills are the most important tool for survival period. Whether it be at the office or out in the woods, you need the ability to think ahead.

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I'll let you guys run around in the bush, I'm not into that anymore, I did my time out there when I was younger. I'll have the coffee on if you need a cup. Bring a chunk of venison when you come and I'll make some soup on the woodstove.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

This article has been a great help to me. I am pretty new to the Survival Theory yet think it will become a necessary part of staying alive when the SHTF. I have began to accumulate many things for this time including land, easily accessible to myself and those who wish to join in when the time come, food that is non perishable, with Honey being one of them as it has been proven time and time again to survive the longest of all other foods that will be left by other humans..

I have given great though to protection and have taken steps to not only acquire yet construct things that can be used to protect during a time such as this.

I take this very seriously and I have been reading other threads posted here and I am amazed daily by what the members here have written and really appreciate the help as I prepare my own place as a haven from those sent to harm us or just a natural disaster in general. I will continue to soak all this knowledge in and again keep up the Great work for I think banding together will bring the best promise for survival. Thank You, New Member..Momtots(Rita)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join