It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan, & Herbert Hoover

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I got a little history lesson today about time(s) similiar to our current time. Picture this-March of 1929 and Herbert Hoover has been recently elected into office, until in October of 1929 we get the stock Market crash which became known as the Great Depression. Understandably, there were financial problems in Europe and elsewhere in the world previous to the crash the same as as what is happening now. However, it is what Herbert Hoover (Republican) did or didn't do which helped to build momentum into the "Depression."

I sometimes wonder about what if Barack hadn't implemented the financial moves that he did. Would our situation have been worse than it is now? People complain that unemployment is still at 8%, etc but what if he
(big government) hadn't done anything. Herbert Hoover hadn't done much of anything during Depression time(s) because he didn't want big government to step in with massive amounts of spending to save the economy and look at how that worked out. Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan, and the Republicans want to stop big government spending, but that is the last thing that should be done in tough economic times. Yes, Obama gave himself 1 term to fix things but maybe he has fixed things and we just need a little time for the changes to take effect.

I think Mitt Romney, and Paul Ryan would make changes which could be detrimental to our economy in these tough economic times the same as Herbert Hoover. Obama's not perfect but neither is Romney or Ryan; they're all polliticians!

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

"What ifs" are always hard to figure out. There are so many unknowables. If I remember correctly, Obama's economic team put out a forecast saying that with the stimulus he wanted passed, unemployment would be about 5% now. Obviously the prediction was wrong, but is there any way to find out why?

People from the parties will give you different answers. Republicans will say that Obama's plan was bad and would never reduce unemployment to that level. Democrats will say that it wasn't his fault because there were changes he couldn't deal with. We'll probably never know which is right.

The Great Depression? The Federal Reserve was blamed, Hoover was blamed, Roosevelt has been blamed, the stock bubble has been blamed. Some are still arguing about the cause. I suppose all may have some share.

About all we can do now is study our current position, study trends, and do what seems to make sense. One of the trends that bothers me is the amount of time it's taking to get to full recovery. This has certainly been the slowest in post-war times, it may even be the slowest in all of our history. What do we do to fix that? That's what the election should be about.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
The thing that many people forget, is that after the Depression there were alot of regulations put in place to keep it from happening again. Deep recessions and depressions are not good for the stability of society. From Reagan onward we have seen a systematic dismantling of the financial regulations and trade policy that kept our economic security. They sold our long term well being for short term gains. The Bush era tax cuts exemplify this a short term solution to a structural problem. Tax cuts do not always help, and what happens when you have the eventual tax rate of zero? Just what then will be the prescription for a flagging economy then? Carter didn't fail, he did the responsible thing and had a long term plan that didn't sell our future off the highest bidder. A vote for Romney and Ryan is a vote to avoid the pain now and again kick the can down the road.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Well said. However, the gist of my post I am trying to get at is that in tought economic times we need more government spending, not less as Romney, Ryan, and the Republicans propose. Sometimes less government spending is needed, sometimes more is needed.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

Agreed Kelli Onyx, they want to "kick the can further down the road." DIdn't this whole financial mess of recent years start with Nixon & Deregulation? I think understanding the true reasons behind De-regulation may be the answer to many questions concerning this financial mess we are in at present.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
How can more government spending be possible with businesses producing less revenue? There's a trade deficit in this country right now and we're at the saturation point in terms of imports. Why not do what we do best and sell it to the world? Produce more ENERGY and become ENERGY INDEPENDENCE.

Or shall we go the way of the FDR model we always knew and go to war with those ENERGY RESOURCES to jumpstart the economy.

Originally posted by lostbook
Well said. However, the gist of my post I am trying to get at is that in tought economic times we need more government spending, not less as Romney, Ryan, and the Republicans propose. Sometimes less government spending is needed, sometimes more is needed.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
No, it started because the U.S. withdrew from VIETNAM. A country rich with energy and minerals. Nixon signed a trade agreement with China and Withdrew from VIETNAM.

reply to post by KeliOnyx

Agreed Kelli Onyx, they want to "kick the can further down the road." DIdn't this whole financial mess of recent years start with Nixon & Deregulation? I think understanding the true reasons behind De-regulation may be the answer to many questions concerning this financial mess we are in at present.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
We tried FDR last century. It took the war economy of WWII to get us out of the Great Depression. Let's try Obama this century, because we are dying for WWIII. History will always repeat itself and probably will. Without looking at all FACTS leading up to the GREAT DEPRESSION and all lessons learned through WORLD WARS, we deserve the GOVERNMENT that represents US. HAPPY labor day!

I got a little history lesson today about time(s) similiar to our current time. Picture this-March of 1929 and Herbert Hoover has been recently elected into office, until in October of 1929 we get the stock Market crash which became known as the Great Depression. Understandably, there were financial problems in Europe and elsewhere in the world previous to the crash the same as as what is happening now. However, it is what Herbert Hoover (Republican) did or didn't do which helped to build momentum into the "Depression."

I sometimes wonder about what if Barack hadn't implemented the financial moves that he did. Would our situation have been worse than it is now? People complain that unemployment is still at 8%, etc but what if he
(big government) hadn't done anything. Herbert Hoover hadn't done much of anything during Depression time(s) because he didn't want big government to step in with massive amounts of spending to save the economy and look at how that worked out. Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan, and the Republicans want to stop big government spending, but that is the last thing that should be done in tough economic times. Yes, Obama gave himself 1 term to fix things but maybe he has fixed things and we just need a little time for the changes to take effect.

I think Mitt Romney, and Paul Ryan would make changes which could be detrimental to our economy in these tough economic times the same as Herbert Hoover. Obama's not perfect but neither is Romney or Ryan; they're all polliticians!

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   

I also have to say this comparing Obama to FDR is

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I always read about one-sided arguements. What about the regulations leading up to the Great Depression and Prohibition? Please be more square in your arguements!

Originally posted by KeliOnyx
The thing that many people forget, is that after the Depression there were alot of regulations put in place to keep it from happening again. Deep recessions and depressions are not good for the stability of society. From Reagan onward we have seen a systematic dismantling of the financial regulations and trade policy that kept our economic security. They sold our long term well being for short term gains. The Bush era tax cuts exemplify this a short term solution to a structural problem. Tax cuts do not always help, and what happens when you have the eventual tax rate of zero? Just what then will be the prescription for a flagging economy then? Carter didn't fail, he did the responsible thing and had a long term plan that didn't sell our future off the highest bidder. A vote for Romney and Ryan is a vote to avoid the pain now and again kick the can down the road.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   

I have a friend that actually lived through the Great Depression. He will tell you first hand, HERBERT HOOVER IS NOT AT FAULT. AND FDR IS

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
History is not SELECTIVE, only people's memory are

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
An Excerpt From Wikipedia:
World War II was the deadliest military conflict in history. Over 60 million people were killed, which was over 2.5% of the world population. The tables below give a detailed country-by-country count of human losses.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by RELDDIR

I know someone who lived through the Great Depression as well but he will tell you that Herbert Hoover is at fault, and that FDR fixed things; albeit, he had help from the WW2 economy. You are right WW3 is right in the horizon, and the way things are both politically and financially, there has to be a war to reset things.

I'm in no way saying that Obama is perfect, he's a politician like the rest of those politicians. I feel better with him though. You mentioned Vietnam as the reason for De-regulation: I would also add the possibility of setting the start for the World economy, PTB agenda. It's no doubt that Nixon wanted to create new markets for the dollar to spread and grow, but with current World events coming to light, it seems that something is afoot,

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by RELDDIR

My main point wasn't about the problems leading up to the Great Depression but rather Hoover action(s) or in-action(s) once it started. There are a number of possibilities for the eventual cause for the Depression.
1. Europe was having financial trouble which affected us here.( The same as what's happening now)
2. The Federal reserve was enacted in 1913.( Possible cause here in U.S.)
3. The major U.S. financial centers were in New York and Chicago but Europe was the major World financial center at that time.

I'm not a Financial Analyst or anything so I'm sure there are several other factors that I'm not aware of. I mainly just waned to give some insight into our current times in relation to that time considering our political choices.

new topics

top topics

join