It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Meaning Of Peace

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
As defined by the Pentagon is Permanent pre-hostility.

So i got to thinking about it, and maybe, just maybe, there is something of a "Peace War" brewing out there.

Because, when you think of it, peace means many different things to many different people.

For instance, there is the saying that some people just want peace, when what that really means is they want peace of the grave and all other people but themselves to die.

To others, the only way one can achieve peace is if we all conform to the same rules and behave the same and believe the same things. After all, there's no real war in such a place, where we're all the same.

So really, perhaps there is no such thing as true peace out there. There will always be some sort of conflict. It doesn't have to be violent to be a conflict, it could be conflict that arises from a different personal definition of peace.

And really, what is it that causes a conflict? Well, a conflict arises when long held beliefs are challenged in some way. Most people want to believe that 2 + 2 = 7 and then one person comes along and says 2 + 2 = 4. People will always get frustrated and upset that one person is going against the grain.

All kinds of examples abound as to how conflicts arise.

But peace has many different meanings, and is influence by cultural and personal experience and geographical location.

For some seek spiritual peace through pain and suffering. Others seek it through many different other means. For some, sheer chaos is peace, others, it is order. Some people just want to see the world burn for within those flickering flames is the peace that some seek. For flames themselves are a cause of the cycle of death and destruction, and new life.

So with all these different meanings of peace, then perhaps there is a peace war out there. And maybe some day it'll be settled, when humans learn to not be so tribalisitc and xenophobic and learn how to live with one another.

Perhaps some day.

Peace war, peace out my friends. Until next time.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

To me peace is a "Live and let live" attitude. Boundaries are negotiated. For instance I live close to some binge drinkers. So long as they aren't disturbing everyone else with their off-tune country and western singing at all hours, everyone gets along with them just fine. They soon run out of money though and know better than to ask for a loan from us. There is rarely any fighting. Do I feel I live in a peaceful setting? Sure enough. My little corner is great, but I pick and choose which interactions to engage in. I think that one of the greatest destroyers of individual peace is gossip and judgmentalism.

Those who want us all to think the same way are engaging in an "I'm all right but they're not" way of thinking. The prime example I can think of is the missionary. Peace is the "I'm ok and so are you" attitude.

When munitions manufacturers try to sell their goods to various countries, they say it's for defence. However the only way they can keep ahead of the game is to sell war in whatever way they can. If people would stop investing in those companies, could we find international peace? I'd love to see it, honestly.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Peace is the absence of religion and racism (which cause war)

Peace is the ability of all people of the world to work together towards a common goal for our species.

It’s also freedom from any type of repression.

Mickierocksman

join