It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you better off than you were 4 years ago?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Since Dubya's administration blamed Clinton for everything for 8 years, it stands to reason that anything that is going wrong right now MUST be bush's fault. You really can't have it both ways.
Either admit that dubya was a mess and plunged this country into a depression by the end of his term and it was HIS fault, not Clintons or admit that what's going on NOW is his fault. It HAS to be one or the other. You can't have it both ways. Either the previous administration has some influence or they don't. If everything that happened under bush is Clinton's fault, then everything that is happening now is bush's fault. That's the way it works. Otherwise, admit that bush was responsible for what went on in his administration, then you can say that Obama is responsible for what is going on in his. Either way, bush absolutely, positively SUCKS. ...not that Obama is much better, but without a doubt, bush definitely sucks.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Are you better off than you were four years ago?

Yes, the end of Obama is in site, that God.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Virtually every home owner that has owned a home for 4 years or more is much worse off, since housing prices have declined 40%, and that is the largest component of their net worth. I doubt most people that say they are better off have much understanding of this fact, unless they try to sell their home.Furthermore, with the national debt at 16 TRILLION dollars, as opposed to 10 Trillion in 2008, their future debt to Uncle Same has increased by 60%. Wait until the piper comes to collect. It is ironic that the people that will be hurt the most are those 40 and younger.Their future life will be much worse economically than those of us seniors. Ironically, they are the biggest supporters of the clown they call the President, a man who hides from problems, and has no clue as to how to fix them. The Pied Piper is alive and still playing his pipe, and the young are following him into oblivion. Sad......

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Virtually every home owner that has owned a home for 4 years or more is much worse off, since housing prices have declined 40%, and that is the largest component of their net worth. I doubt most people that say they are better off have much understanding of this fact, unless they try to sell their home.Furthermore, with the national debt at 16 TRILLION dollars, as opposed to 10 Trillion in 2008, their future debt to Uncle Same has increased by 60%. Wait until the piper comes to collect. It is ironic that the people that will be hurt the most are those 40 and younger.Their future life will be much worse economically than those of us seniors. Ironically, they are the biggest supporters of the clown they call the President, a man who hides from problems, and has no clue as to how to fix them. The Pied Piper is alive and still playing his pipe, and the young are following him into oblivion. Sad......

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Well actually yes I am better off than I was 4 years ago, got a career I love and looks like it might be on the up and up. Though thats just me personally, got here on hard work and a dash of luck. Anyways, is America better off than it was 4 years ago? My answer is no.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I have been in the restaurant Business For 20 Years...It is..as it always has been..no difference from President to President...High stress...Many Hours...Lots of Sweat...No Thanks..(well sometimes...if you get the good customer)...low pay..Dangerous temptations of Alcohol and Drugs..(only people in my field will understand this)...Why is this....there are many reasons...But the biggest tell..are the Unending...Draconian..Benefit the Corporate Establishment Rules that Squash most entrepreneurs before they can get out of the gate...Not to mention the out of Control Health Department.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I was homeless 4 years ago....allegedly in rich now...according to people who want my money lol

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
More Americans than forecast filed applications for unemployment benefits last week, adding to concern the labor market is slackening.

Jobless claims decreased by 3,000 in the week ended Sept. 15 to 382,000, Labor Department figures showed today in Washington. The median forecast of 49 economists surveyed by Bloomberg projected 375,000.

Looming tax increases and government spending cuts slated to take effect next year, should lawmakers fail to act, may block any pickup in hiring following last month’s smaller-than-projected gain in payrolls. The Federal Reserve last week undertook a third round of asset purchases in a bid to reduce joblessness that has held above 8 percent for more than three years.

“The problems are more on the hiring side than the layoffs side,” said Ryan Sweet, a senior economist at Moody’s Analytics Inc. in West Chester, Pennsylvania, who projected a rise to 385,000 claims. “If they panic and start cutting workers, that would raise an immediate red flag because layoffs would be a recipe for another recession.”

Stock-index futures held earlier losses after the report. The contract on the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index maturing in December fell 0.4 percent to 1,446.8 at 8:43 a.m. in New York as economic data from China to Japan and Europe increased concern a global slowdown is worsening.

More Americans Than Forecast Filed Jobless Claims By Michelle Jamrisko
www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Unemployment rises in half of U.S. states. Unemployment rates increased in 26 states, fell in 12 states, and remained unchanged in the other 12.

Unemployment rates rise in half of US states By CHRISTOPHER S. RUGABER | Associated Press
news.yahoo.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
US durable goods orders drop worst since recession. Durable orders drop 13.2%.

Durable Goods Orders Sink Even as Jobless Claims Fall By Reuters
www.cnbc.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
The overall economy grew at an annual rate of 1.3 percent in the spring, down from its previous estimate of 1.7 percent growth, the Commerce Department said Thursday.

The 1.3 percent growth in the spring followed a sluggish 2 percent growth rate in the first quarter, rates too slow to lower unemployment.

US economy grew 1.3 percent in second quarter By MARTIN CRUTSINGER AP Economics Writer
hosted.ap.org...

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by RELDDIR

This is from my grandmother:

"No I'm not better off. I'm on a fixed income and now have to pay out of pocket for medication that was once covered by Medicare. I can hardly drive to my friends house twenty minutes away because gas is too expensive for me. If anything, I'm worse off now then I was four years ago."

She's a democrat. Her health bills have gone through the roof after Obama took office. A lot of things like medication which was once covered aren't because of Obama's "health care reform" meaning she has even LESS which is already bare minimum. She's barely holding her head over water.

She drives a 1999 compact car that's on it's last legs. She can't pay for the repairs or a new car. It's her only means. She can hardly pay for gas now, her friends that live twenty minutes away (and are her only close friends) might as well live in another state. My grandmother eats less then a mouse. Literally. Her meal (no plural) is a sandwich with some jam on it and a glass of water A DAY. Sometimes she's lucky and her friends visit her and take her out to dinner.

Four years ago wasn't that great either, but at least she had money for gas which is now going towards medical bills.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
The question worked for Ronald Reagan....and the answer is
NO.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by RELDDIR

Stats aside, personally I am my extended family are doing much better now than four years ago. A recent death brought some much needed cash, and a monthly benefit for my wife, my newest HHO reactor is working 50% better than the previous one, better mileage is the result, which mean more in my pocket. Best of all the newest round of computer viruses have made me a great deal of money, and one deal got us a new Whirlpool dryer (which we needed) for fixing three computers, one an office computer. It seem I am now the company computer geek, which suits me fine.

Living in Ohio, I have seen the economy come up a little, more places are hiring, and not just for professional either, but common labor jobs. Prices have gone up, probably because of the drought, and we cringe every time we go to the grocery store. Our Governor is fast cleaning up our Family and Children (Welfare) and has taken their powers to distribute State Block Grant Funds as they see fit, (lots of administration fees and outright fraud) and appointed a special committee to oversee these funds, at a not for profit style way. Yes, things are a bit better.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by RELDDIR
Here are the stats:

Unemployment: 7.8% then, 8.3% now
Median income: $54,983 then, $50,964 now
Gas prices: $1.85 per gallon then, $3.78 now
National debt: $10.6 trillion then, $15.9 trillion now

Are Americans better off? Obama aides won't say
By BEN FELLER and DAVID ESPO | Associated Press
news.yahoo.com...

You obviously forgot what happened on Sept 15th 2008

This thread is foolish as they come
edit on 27-9-2012 by campanionator because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Obama Must Go!

This is not good news:

The unemployment rate is expected to tick up to 8.2 percent.

July = 156,000 (revised from 173,000)
August = 189,000 (revised from over 200,000)
September = 162,000 *

*In a couple months after the election, they will revise it downwards a few thousand.

Report: Private-sector employment up 162,000 last month By Vicki Needham
thehill.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by RELDDIR
Here are the stats:

Unemployment: 7.8% then, 8.3% now
Median income: $54,983 then, $50,964 now
Gas prices: $1.85 per gallon then, $3.78 now
National debt: $10.6 trillion then, $15.9 trillion now

Are Americans better off? Obama aides won't say
By BEN FELLER and DAVID ESPO | Associated Press
news.yahoo.com...

You can call Obama, the "7-11 President." He spends 11 dollars for every 7 dollars taken in. Growing the national deficit to $16 trillion.

Read More:

In the wake of the Treasury Department’s newly released summary of federal spending for 2012, it’s now possible to detail just how profligate the Obama years have been. Here’s the upshot: Under Obama, for every $7 we’ve had, we’ve spent nearly $11 (or, to be more exact, $10.95). That’s like a family that makes $70,000 a year — and is already knee-deep in debt — blowing nearly $110,000 a year.

To illustrate this a bit differently, for every Jackson ($20) we’ve had available to spend under Obama, we’ve also borrowed a Hamilton ($10) and a Washington ($1) and spent those too. The only thing is that, under Obama, we’ve (literally) spent the equivalent of 342 billion Jacksons, 342 billion Hamiltons, and 342 billion Washingtons — borrowing all of the Hamiltons and Washingtons.

The 7-Eleven Presidency 7:15 AM, Oct 18, 2012 • By JEFFREY H. ANDERSON
www.weeklystandard.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I always laugh when i see the gas price comparison, are people retarded? it jumped because the current president came to the office, you should be looking at when the previous guy did, oh yeah, he ripped America a new hole.

From an outsider from the north point of view, you guys seem better off now. I remember when Canadian dollar went over by cents!

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
You know its funny, when people are doing great it's there doing, "they built that" but when they are doing bad its the presidents fault. If theres one thing I've learned from these last four years is that, you have to take personal responsibility for your own life. Its not the governments fault if you got laid off and now you cant pay your bills.Its not the governments fault if your business didn't work out. I say that to say you have to be able to adapt to the economic climates that come. Everyone was happy and great, spending money and buying houses. When the 2008 crash happen and they wasn't ready for it, you can't blame nobody but yourself. So instead of waiting for some job offer to come along or the government to do something for you, do something for yourself and be ready next time.And thats why I'm better off then I was four years ago. GOODDAY!
edit on 18-10-2012 by PrinceOfEarth because: typo

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
absolutely not. no perceivable rise in income. food, fuel and housing costs exponentially higher. disposable income a distant memory. much, much, much worse off now.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join