It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple Arrested After 'Burglars' Shot

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
isnt this the second time in the past week this happened? Its utterly ridiculous. i dont know how people defending themselves and their property could be arrested. self defense is a basic human right that no government should be allowed to control in any way shape or form.ugh im disgusted with them way "civilized" nations have become straight up police states. this is exactly what Eisenhower warned us of.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
The couple will not be charged, it was announced yesterday, exactly how I knew it would go I read the statements the CPS had nothing on them it was reasonable and justified.

I can understand, due how this country's police work, why they got arrested. The thing is, it has to be reasonable and justified in the eyes of the law, not in the eyes of the person who did it. To me this is wrong, but its getting better. Nobody was killed, which is important, the only way that would've been justified is if the burglars had firearms also or weapons that could be fired at range, which they did not. So the Police have two shot individuals, they have to investigate whether or not it was reasonable and justified. In this instance of course it was, a 10 year old could've told them that and the coppers knew it to be honest but there is still protocol and procedure to follow.

This is brilliant news though, its another step back in the direction of self defence and the victim taking importance over criminals and offenders. This was reversed by the filthy Labour mob when they were in power and honestly coming from experience, it was disgusting just how in favour of criminals the system was. The whole "Criminals are victims also" was just sickening, which is why not many in the Old Bill will vote Labour ever again, I certainly wouldn't and that's just one of a million reasons why not.

Bottom line is the right decision was made and this is a fantastic day for the law abiding British Public, even if most don't realise it.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
So, due process was followed and English Law was applied - resulting in two of the burglars being charged and the homeowners will not be prosecuted.

One in the eye for all those criticising UK laws and society etc - and all without a Second Amendment.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

"So, due process was followed and English Law was applied - resulting in two of the burglars being charged and the homeowners will not be prosecuted."

There were 4 burglars, were there not, why are only 2 charged?

"One in the eye for all those criticising UK laws and society etc - and all without a Second Amendment."

U.K laws deserve the criticism they get, not only can they be draconian to the extreme towards the lower classes. They can also be feeble and carry no weight. This wee home invasion squad will be right back at it by next week.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

There were 4 burglars, were there not, why are only 2 charged?

And so without all of the facts you deem all four guilty based purely on the details released by MSM?
Obviously you know more about this case than the police and CPS etc.
Who knows if the other two will get charged in the future - there is still plenty of time - and it is far from unusaual for further charges to be brought at a later date.

U.K laws deserve the criticism they get, not only can they be draconian to the extreme towards the lower classes. They can also be feeble and carry no weight. This wee home invasion squad will be right back at it by next week.

Yip, got to agree with you on the majority of that.
Perhaps you haven't read all of my posts in this thread - if you had you would know that I advocate far tougher sentencing for burglary.

But the comment was regarding all those criticising the fact that the homeowners were arrested.
Due process HAS to be followed and a full investigation has to be carried out in any situation where a firearm is discharged.

There are many, many faults with the UK judicial system and the incestuous relationships between all involved - but it is still far superior to the vast majority of judicial systems throughout the world - which is probably why it has been copied by so many countries.

I get the impression that many posters would have liked to have seen the homeowners prosecuted just so that they could criticise the UK's 'weak' judicial system and moralise about the lack of a Right To Bear Arms etc.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
"And so without all of the facts you deem all four guilty based purely on the details released by MSM?
Obviously you know more about this case than the police and CPS etc."

Im only speculating, obviously i have no more info than anyone else. I will point out that 4 people, 2 of whom were shot on someone else's property in the dead of night when caught. I think its safe to say that the 4 intruders intensions were malevolent to some degree or another. Thats whats obvious to me nothing else.

Unless of course they were Jehovah's witnesses trying to punt the Watchtower! LoL

"Yip, got to agree with you on the majority of that.
Perhaps you haven't read all of my posts in this thread - if you had you would know that I advocate far tougher sentencing for burglary."

Yes burglary is a most heinous crime. Punishment must be more severe.

"I get the impression that many posters would have liked to have seen the homeowners prosecuted just so that they could criticise the UK's 'weak' judicial system and moralise about the lack of a Right To Bear Arms etc."

I hope not, guns are not a good idea in the U.K. Thing is they are becoming more common here as time goes on. Guess thats just the world we live in today.
edit on 6-9-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   

The thing is people try to use incidents like this to persue their own agenda's.
And amidst it all the real important things get forgotten.

In this thread we've seen many non-UK citizens criticising UK gun laws, rattling on about The Right To Bear Arms and accusations that we Brits lack 'balls' etc.
Clearly UK gun laws are NOT at fault in this instance - the homeowner has used his licensed firearm in self-defence and that has been deemed within the law.

I think its safe to say that the 4 intruders intensions were malevolent to some degree or another.

Again, I tend to agree with you - but that's for the law to decide.

If we feel that the laws of this country are inadequate or inappropriate then we should demand that the lawmakers - i.e. those who are elected to represent us - draft laws that reflect our wishes.
The Police are there to enforce those laws.
CPS are there to prosecute those laws.
The judiciary is there to interpret those laws - they should be worded in such an unambiguous manner that no amount of legal maneouvering can cause differences of interpretation etc - and to pass sentencing, in accordance with the law, on those who have been proven to have broken those laws.

Pretty straight forward.

Personally I feel that the whole system fails and that we require a radical overhaul and reform - a full system re-boot - of electoral, parliamentary and judicial systems and procedures.
But that's adiscussion for another time and place methinks.

Unless of course they were Jehovah's witnesses trying to punt the Watchtower! LoL

In which case surely it would have been equally as understandable for the homeowners to have done the exact same thing?

It's one of my own personal conflicts - I have no desire to see any relaxation of our gun laws - again, a discussion for another time and place - but if anyone broke into my house I know that I would do whatever necessary, probably resulting in at least serious injury.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Yes burglary is a most heinous crime. Punishment must be more severe.

Personally, I'd give first time offenders 2 to 3 years for burglary.
Second time offenders at least 8 to 10 years.
Thitd time would be life - meaning life as well.

And not much of this luxury bollocks.

It's time we remembered that the primary reason for imprisonment is for punishment.
Yes, we live in a caring society and we seek to rehabilitate, but that's got to be the secondary consideration.

I hope not, guns are not a good idea in the U.K.

You know that and I know that - but apparently many of our American friends no better than us what is right and best for the UK.

Thing is they are becoming more common here as time goes on. Guess thats just the world we live in today.

Yeah, I guess so.

Whilst I think it's always been pretty easy to obtain illegal gains if you know the 'right' sort of people, most people choose not to - including criminals.

But with this US gang bollocks far too many youngsters are becoming obsessed with the whole gun culture thing - fortunately a lot of the older criminals are resisting it and gun posession is still very much a relatively rare thing when compared to other nations etc.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Would you have shot them Freeborn? Personally i would have shot all 4 and asked questions later(essentially you snooze you lose), i realise the implications for error but trust me reaction time is a factor in these type of situations. IMHO better to be wrong than potentiality being robbed, raped and murdered maybe not even in that order.

I do agree that gun laws should remain in place in the U.K, but there were 4 of them! An axe or big knife just aint going to be enough against four people who are also most lightly armed to the teeth. Just saying that in this case a Gun was a necessary evil.

I think a better idea would be to make tasers and other non lethal weapons legal for home protection. Right now ownership of NLWs can get you allmost as much time as a real gun does.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Honestly, I don't know.

It's one of them things where you don't know how you would react until actually being in the situation.

However, knowing me as I do - I think if I felt that any of my family were under any threat then I wouldn't hesitate and shoot immediately - and bollocks to the consequences.
If I felt under threat myself then I guess the level of my response would depend it they were armed and what with etc.

For whatever reasons I have certain things handily but discreetly positioned throught my house - I am never more than a few feet away from 'something'.

In my experience most burglars are opportunists and are weedy, scrawny baghead types who if confronted would be more scared than the householder etc - but there are some horrible, disgusting bastards who'll do anything.

Those that burgle country houses, farms etc tend be more 'professional' burglars / criminals etc who are seeking specific targets etc.

Not sure what type of burglary this was - opportunist or planned?

As an aside, the homeowner probably only shot two of them as he would have to reload his double barrelled shotgun after discharging two shots - by which time the other two would have no doubt ran off crapping themselves.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

"As an aside, the homeowner probably only shot two of them as he would have to reload his double barrelled shotgun after discharging two shots - by which time the other two would have no doubt ran off crapping themselves."

Thats exactly what i thought. I also see what you are saying about most burglaries being opportunistic and carried out by scrawny wee jakes, but in the dark, in the dead of night i bet those 4 f****rs looked like freddie cruger and Jason all rolled into one!

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

but in the dark, in the dead of night i bet those 4 f****rs looked like freddie cruger and Jason all rolled into one!

I am sure they would have done.

And whether they are opportunist or professional doesn't make it any more or less harrowing or excusable.

Instead of blocking both the prison and judicial systems up with people charged with petty possession and conspiracy charges maybe the lawmakers and their enforcers should start concentrating on the crimes and criminals that people are genuinely worried about and dishing out serious sentences to the 'pondlife' that commit burglaries etc.
If they didn't spend so much time, effort and resource on imposing out-dated morals and values on people perhaps they'd be able to redirect them towards reducing rape, murder, violent crime, burglaries, paedophiles, crimes against property etc.

But again, another time and place it's probably best suited - apologies for the rant.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by alien
...it doesn't just happen in the UK...also happens here in New Zealand...

...recently I encountered 3 very drunk aggressive guys in my backyard, with my wife and 3 year old son in the house and scared. I tell them to bugger off, that I was calling the Police...they tell me to 'go forth and copulate' and proceeded to pick up my garden furniture and throw it at the walls of our house. Luckily they grabbed the cheap plastic stuff, so no real damage done.

One guy tears the kids 'swing-ball' pole out of the ground and approachs me while I'm standing in the doorway, threatening to stab me with it.
He advances, lunges forward, I deflect and snatch the pole to pull him off balance (heh, he's drunk and would have been lucky to connect anyway), spin the pole around with a solid *thwack* in the side of his head.

The other 2 guys start to have a go at me, think better of it and then take off.

Cops arrive, arrest the guy.

Cops return, arrest me for GBH with a weapon.

Dude gets 4 stitches to the ear and released the next morning...I'm looking at a court appearance in the next 3 months.

WTF???

That is so screwed up. You defend your home and family and you're the one on trial? Seriously, those are some screwed up laws you have over there.

Sorry for your troubles, I hope everything works out for you.
edit on 6-9-2012 by KnightFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by D377MC
That is basically what it boils down to, but I'd much rather plant a 50$ gun on them than have to bury their asses at 03.00 in the morning. The cops do it as soon as they can get away with it, observe, learn and replicate. Once the intruder has a gun, the matter ends there. Case closed.
edit on 3-9-2012 by D377MC because: none

so committing fraud and tampering with a crime scene is your solution? sounds like you might be the actual criminal mate.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Meekbot2000

"so committing fraud and tampering with a crime scene is your solution? sounds like you might be the actual criminal mate."

Or a Police man!

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye
If you turn a gun on another person and pull the trigger no matter the reason, you should get arrested.

I don't see anything wrong here.

Thank you for your contribution.
Further proving my theory that.....

"There is ALWAYS one in every thread and usually within the first few posts but ALWAYS on the first page".

It doesn't matter what the subject is and how clear cut it is.
The "logic" you are using is astounding to say the least.

Sometimes it isn't even worth debating with people like this.
The only way I can reconcile the fact that there are actually people who think this way is to remind myself that they are either VERY young (like 12) or retarded/ (mentally handicapeable for those of you who are sensitive)
I am going to give you the benifit of the doubt and hope you are 12 yrs old.

If I am wrong I apologize.

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join