It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple Arrested After 'Burglars' Shot

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
CX
+5 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Couple Arrested After 'Burglars' Shot

news.sky.com

A homeowner has been arrested after two suspected burglars were shot at his remote home.

The man and his wife were reportedly disturbed by the break-in in the Welby area of Leicestershire, near Melton Mowbray, in the early hours of Sunday.

The man, 35, and his 43-year-old wife were arrested in Melton on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm. Neither suffered any injuries during the incident.

A spokeswoman for Leicestershire Police said that at around 12.30am, the ambulance service was called to treat a man with shotgun injuries.
(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I thought i'd post this news for anyone in the US who wants a laugh today.

Yes once again our justice system does us proud. Four men break into an occupied house, cry to the police when they get shot and then the homeowners get arrested too!

Sorry but this kind of thing does my nut in. I'll wait for more info before really going on a rant, i just hope that this couple gets off with self defence. I don't care if the guys were armed or not....don't break into peoples houses you thieving scum!

Maybe it's a reminder to the British public that if anyone breaks into your house, make sure you do a good job on them so it's worth getting arrested.

CX.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

WOW

So, shoot the bad guy and go to jail?

Remind me to never move there.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

"A 35-year-old man and a 43-year-old woman were arrested in Melton on suspicion of GBH and four men aged 27, 23, 31 and 33 were arrested at Leicester Royal Infirmary on suspicion of aggravated burglary.

The article says that the men who broke into their house were arrested as well. I do not know much about the laws in the UK, but I seriously doubt that the couple will be convicted of any wrong doing. I assume they were arrested so an investigation could be properly conducted.
edit on 2-9-2012 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Yep gotta love it eh,i was once told by police who i called whilst my shed was being tanned over by the local pondlife,and they told me to stay inside someone is on their way............... my hoop they were!!!!!

25 mins later they show up and are as much use as a fart in a spacesuit,i honestly would love to have ran out and unleashed hell on the scumbag's foetal alcohol syndrome craniums with my bat,but sadly id get arrested...which unfortunately if i was charged for(always seems to be the scum that get away with a slap on the wrist and the decent ones get punished!!!!)would mean i would not only lose my job,but go on a record and would have it taken into account for any future employers looking to employ me too

Welcome to the real britain,americas aircraft carrier ! where the working class get screwed by dole scroungers as well as the justice system

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
my neighbours 60 plus year olds just spent the night in police cells for chasing the kids away from playing football near his car as they have been damaging things lately swore at the kids bingo free b&b for the night good old uk glad the cops dont have guns YET

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

dont bet on it they will get the jail or tin pail as us lot say
there has been cases of this before all ending in jail tony martin springs to mind

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
If you turn a gun on another person and pull the trigger no matter the reason, you should get arrested.

I don't see anything wrong here.

+35 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

If you turn a gun on another person and pull the trigger no matter the reason, you should get arrested. I don't see anything wrong here.

So if a guy is stabbing me and i pull a gun and shoot him, I should be arrested?
That, my friend sounds ignorant.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I think its time for neighborhoods and cities to have alarm systems so if cops are arresting you you can flick a switch and then thousands can show up at the cop shop and demand your release.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by GunzCoty
reply to post by Mianeye

If you turn a gun on another person and pull the trigger no matter the reason, you should get arrested. I don't see anything wrong here.

So if a guy is stabbing me and i pull a gun and shoot him, I should be arrested?
That, my friend sounds ignorant.

Yes, you should be arrested, you could have shot the guy, stabbed your self and blamed it on the dead guy.

It's a normal investigation in to a case where weapons were used.

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Figures an anti gun troll would post in here...
Wonder what hed do if someone broke into THEIR house...
"hey, get outta my house"

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Actually, the poster is correct, it is a normal part of the investigation.

At that point, the police only have the couples word that the men broke into their house, whereas they do have a guy with shotgun wounds.

Once the investigation has took place, the couple will be released without charge IF the police have sufficient evidence to support self defense.

For the record, simply shooting someone who has just broke into your home IS NOT self defense, unless the burglar makes violent moves towards you (not my opinion, that is the law), and even then, its a dodgy scenario.

I suggest people wait until we know more on the situation before jumping to conclusions.
edit on 2/9/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
reply to post by Mianeye

Figures an anti gun troll would post in here...
Wonder what hed do if someone broke into THEIR house...
"hey, get outta my house"

So because i comment on a perfectly normal arrest in a case where guns were used to harm another person, i am an anti gun troll.
Well that makes sense

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
As there were four burglars and they were arrested on 'suspicion of aggravated burglary' the couple shouldn't have any trouble convincing the Police and CPS that they feared for their safety, in which case they won't face any punishment for shooting the burglars... As long they possess the shotgun legally that is.

+11 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
...it doesn't just happen in the UK...also happens here in New Zealand...

...recently I encountered 3 very drunk aggressive guys in my backyard, with my wife and 3 year old son in the house and scared. I tell them to bugger off, that I was calling the Police...they tell me to 'go forth and copulate' and proceeded to pick up my garden furniture and throw it at the walls of our house. Luckily they grabbed the cheap plastic stuff, so no real damage done.

One guy tears the kids 'swing-ball' pole out of the ground and approachs me while I'm standing in the doorway, threatening to stab me with it.
He advances, lunges forward, I deflect and snatch the pole to pull him off balance (heh, he's drunk and would have been lucky to connect anyway), spin the pole around with a solid *thwack* in the side of his head.

The other 2 guys start to have a go at me, think better of it and then take off.

Cops arrive, arrest the guy.

Cops return, arrest me for GBH with a weapon.

Dude gets 4 stitches to the ear and released the next morning...I'm looking at a court appearance in the next 3 months.

WTF???

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by alien

That's just crazy. And so is the situation in the original opening post. As far as I know, and I could be wrong, but in the US it's not customary to arrest people shooting at criminals breaking into their homes. I think there might be an investigation but I don't know if they would get arrested first and have to wait for the police to sort the scene out. Not usually, anyway.

I'm beginning to understand though, why on the two occasions someone broke into our house (specifically my bedroom) with intent to either rob or rape or both, that my dad simply chased the creep away with his (legally registered) gun and then went back to bed without calling the cops after determining that no criminal in his right mind was going to come back to bother a dad wielding a gun, a mother wielding a machete, and a snarling child brandishing scissors and one pissed off family dog....just your typical suburban American family!

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SheeplFlavoredAgain
reply to post by alien

... No criminal in his right mind was going to come back to bother a dad wielding a gun, a mother wielding a machete, and a snarling child brandishing scissors and one pissed off family dog....just your typical suburban American family!

That is a wonderful image! Thanks

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

He's right. It is just a normal part of the investigation process.
The Cops, after all, have to at least be seen to be as impartial as possible...towards BOTH parties involved.
Doesn't mean they agree with it, its their job and they're just the ones who have to do it.

In my case above the arresting Officer was like:
"Dude, I know this is bullsh**, but I have to do it.
Don't worry, any Lawyer worth half a damn will have you out of that court-room and case closed in minutes. Its just the process we have to follow...so even scumbags like that guy you smacked get a fair hearing."

...still...its not a great thing having a criminal charge and a court appearance on your Police Records...nor is the hassle of proving your right to defend yourself and your family...

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SheeplFlavoredAgain
reply to post by alien

I think there might be an investigation but I don't know if they would get arrested first and have to wait for the police to sort the scene out. Not usually, anyway.

To be fair to the Cops, they arrested me as it was more a case of just getting me to the Police Station to answer their questions as part of the investigation. They wouldn't have if I had just politely agreed to accompany them...rather then, well, I was angry and told them in no uncertain terms I thought it was bullsh** they were questioning me for protecting my own family from three drunken louts on myproperty threatening to harm me.

I wasn't handcuffed or anything, just told I was being placed under arrest and had to accompany them to the Station for an interview.

They were cool about it. And the arrest probably wouldn't have been necessary if I'd just kept my own cool.

Hard to do though when you're still pumped with adrenaline.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join