It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most PROFOUND PLACE that you've been to that has "illuminated the human condition" for you

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
For me, it was the middle of the Atlantic Ocean at night onboard a US Navy destroyer. I worked mids and would go out to smoke every hour and would just marvel at the majesty of the moon above, or the ethereal blue glow of the plankton as the bow of the ship broke the waves, or simply the fact that I could see every star in the night sky if conditions were clear.

Nothing I've ever known was both as calming or as intellectual stimulating as that.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
on shrooms, doesn't matter where you are as long as your on them

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreine
For me, it was the middle of the Atlantic Ocean at night onboard a US Navy destroyer. I worked mids and would go out to smoke every hour and would just marvel at the majesty of the moon above, or the ethereal blue glow of the plankton as the bow of the ship broke the waves, or simply the fact that I could see every star in the night sky if conditions were clear.

Nothing I've ever known was both as calming or as intellectual stimulating as that.

What about the fact you've chosen to take part on a floating island with people just like you who are given missions they dont really understand or choose but take part in them anyways without any questions?

that never went past your head?

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
The internet! Seriously, what better way to get a macro gauge of the general population at their most bare-naked honest honest selves than online? Anonymous forums of all types give you a picture of what parts of the population think about life and myriads of topics. I flit from here to there; visiting conspiracy boards, political boards, relationship forums, new age forums, etc. and although I don't know any of these faceless voices personally, they are no less human, and realer than they would be in real life. I wish we didn't feel so compelled to wear masks in real life. Honesty is refreshing and illuminating. I think the most disturbing elements of humanity that I have encountered on line (and irl) are people so caught up in the superficiality and materialism of this world...and it's politics, it's endless list of things that will crumble under the sands of time. I am of the impression and belief from my own experiences that this place, Earth, is just a minor pit stop in the grand course of our existence. It's better to cultivate your mind, spirit, and soul than to stay concerned with the frivolous things that really don't matter.

I remember reading some lady's post on a message board a few days ago that really stuck with me, and I had to go for a meditation walk and think about it. It was indeed profound to me, but not in the typical sense. It was her scathing cruelty and lack of compassion that really struck me and made me think. How could people be so full of judgement and coldness towards others? It was not even directed to me, I never even post on that board, I just read. She certainly seemed honest in her submission too, so I have no reason to doubt her posts authenticity. All I could do was ask the Universe to make me aware of these traits in myself and free me from them, please. Put kindness and mercy in my heart and give me peace. So the internet really makes me think about people, and what this "rat race" type of materialistic lifestyle does to our collective condition. Ha ha.

Then also, I must say, the night sky full of stars really helps to shed light on the insignificance and impermanence of 'this'. Especially when you are walking alone with your thoughts or meditations. That is a great place to be. Rural or urban, doesn't matter. I sometimes look up into the sky and toss some thoughts around, maybe shed a few sad or happy tears, and realize, that no matter what we have been through...no matter what we go or are going through, we are here one day, and gone the next in the big picture. Stars are born and stars die, just as we do, and the same thing in them is in all of us. No matter where this life energy takes us after the flesh is gone, no matter if you believe this is it and then nothing more, no matter your perceived "station" in this life...would it kill us to treat one another with compassion and gentleness? Be perfectly imperfect and let your light shine.
edit on 21-12-2012 by HoppedUp because: had to add something

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join