It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Democrats Say Balancing the Budget a Bad Idea:

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
The medical industry with all the side jobs it creates is the biggest employer in the USA. Not the government.

Health insurance was getting so expensive that even large employers wouldn't have been able to supply it much longer. As people were dropping off the coverage the medical rates would have had to increase or the medical industry would have had layoffs. Deductibles would go up for everyone and employers would choose subcontracting in place of employment with benefits for most of their workforce. That is starting to happen already. everyone would soon have lost health insurance benefits. Our healthcare system was going to crumble. A recession is not the time to try to balance the budget, it is the time to create jobs and protect jobs. Spending during the Bush administration was wasted spending, the government was trying to promote businesses by giving businesses contracts and creating a lot of unnecessary paperwork for inspectors. The cost of stimulating the business economy with federal money when it wasn't really needed caused this recession to be much worse. We should not have been giving so much money to the businesses then, we would have it now and would have less debt. This problem we have can't be blamed on either party, they both overspent, but in different ways. Repealing Obamacare will destroy our economy.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I would argue that the US military is America's largest, best jobs program. The US government employs 4.4 million people. If you want to take into consideration perphiary employment then you have to take into consideration government contractors who hire thousands (if not millions) more. I've never heard of a town sprouting up around hospitals but I've heard of lots of towns sprouting up around military bases.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

Let's all go liberal and take 1,000 credit cards and charge them to the limit and let our neighbors pay the balance! If it's good for America then it's got to be good for us doesn't it? We need laws where we don't have to repay charge cards and the banks can't do anything about it! Yea! Liberals aren't crazy they have got it right! Don't they?????

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Today's democrats seriously need to go take economic lessons from Bill Clinton.
I didn't like the cuts he gave the military but by golly, back in the day he understood
the need to balance a budget.

Tax rate also of Clinton sounds good

cuts to bloated agencies, get more revenue from the top hoarders. Simple economics, the more taxes the top pay, the more likely they will keep their money tied up in investments to avoid the taxes, and as a byproduct, have jobs create.

If wedo Clintons tax rates, then the same spending (1993) should be enacted.

Just copy the spending budget for 93.

Wouldn't that be nice! Of course the circumstances are not the same. I wonder if we woud have the same outcome?! Considering all the rhetoric about the Clintons and the Obamas, just makes you shake your head!
edit on 3-9-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

The health care and the Defense budget takes 23% each of the overall US budget.

But in the health care it goes to pay more for subsidies (Medicare, SS and Medicaid) than employment, while the Defense Government budget is still the biggest employer or the US.

Largest American Employers

Largest American Employers: Statistics
The largest American employer is, by far, the United States federal government with over four million employees worldwide. Wal-Mart, the retailing giant follows with 1.8 million employees. These 5.8 million employees are more than the total employees at the remaining top ten publicly-held American employers.

jobs.lovetoknow.com...

And this do not include the hundred of thousands within the postal service

US accounts for employment of about 1% of the US working population

At the same time about 22% of the US overall budget also goes to pay pensions and retirements

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I am not talking of a single employer, I am talking of the medical jobs, Pharmacutical jobs, health insurance jobs, nursing homes jobs, therapy jobs, and jobs to supply specific tools and medical supplies to these industries. Many government jobs also are included in this field. If you take the healthcare costs as quoted at 23 percent of the budget and compare this small amount against the money of all these industries payrolls you will see what I mean. I don't agree that the medical industry should be this much of a percentage of our US economy. We are screwing it up. We need to get rid of our dependance of our people being sick to sustain our economy, we need factory jobs back.

Look at overall industry figures of classes of employment not only the governments part or trying to compare the government to a single corporation. The government has many sections, each being a separate section that add up to government. Where do these medicare/medicare payments go? They don't go to the people who paid in, they go to the various medical industries. Open your eyes.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

I do not understand why you assume that the money government spends sits in a bubble.... It does not, it flows throughout the economy and takes on many forms, profit, wages, many times over.
reply to post by thepresident

What about the money the government gives to other countries?
You're right it does flow throughout the economy, but whose?

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join