It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JAVA Update #35 Causing Browser Slowdown/Crashes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I am NOT a computer-savvy person by any stretch of the imagination. Seriously, the older I get the harder it is for me to keep up. I can barely work my new phone. Anyway, over the past few months I have noticed a dramatic increase in the number of times Flash (Youtube videos in particular) applications "crash." Then just in the past few days, I received JAVA update #35 and installed it on my laptop.

Since installing the JAVA update my preferred browser, Firefox, has slowed to a crawl. IE doesn't seem to be affected but poor old FF is working at dial-up speeds if at all. Many times I can't play a YT vid at all, and even normal web pages consisting of mostly text like ATS load very slowly. FYI, I have Charter Cable as my ISP and normal DL speeds are between 17 and 30 Mbps, and I have an 18-month-old dual-core HP laptop with 4 gigs of Ram.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas on how I can fix it?

Thanks,
Lynn

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Unless you need java runtime its better to uninstall it completely especially with the current vulnerabilities with it

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
Unless you need java runtime its better to uninstall it completely especially with the current vulnerabilities with it

How do I know if I need it or not? Normally all I do on the internet is read about current events and watch the videos that sometimes go with the story. What does Java Runtime do? Can I get along without it when I'm just surfing along? What would the ordinary user use it for?

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TTAA2012

Maybe you are lacking one of the many FF plugins to make it work with Java. How old is your version of FF? You also may be running something in FF that is conflicting with Java.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TTAA2012

Java is what powers the chat on ATS and is used for other online applications. You don't really need it, but you'll find a lot of stuff won't work without it.

I've had trouble with Java the last three or four updates. Same with Flash.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Try reinstalling FF. Mine is up to date and runs just fine. Could there be something else updating in the background?

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Interesting. I JUST installed it and my computer is running slower. Or am I being parnaoid?

It IS running slower between link hook ups now.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
The confusion comes when you look at java and _javascript from a non techie standpoint now java is a fully featured environment for a write once and run anywhere from a mainframe to a mobile phone where as _javascript is more of a small bits of code to do a job and is designed to run in a web browser mainly and while they are speaking the same language they are well different

now unless you need something powered by the full version of java (minecraft the game is one thing) then you don't need it installed

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I had a java update a couple of days ago and my browser is a bit slugish as well.

Think i might run a few free anti-spyware prog's just to make sure.

edit on 2-9-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
My Firefox was running slower after the most recent Java update, but after clearing my cache and running CCleaner it seems to be back to normal.

Just to note I ran a virus sweep beforehand- just in case.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Being that its you tube vids, it could be a codec issue.
free-codecs.com...
pick a codec pack. and install it

Flash also updated
get.adobe.com...
Pick the right one

Java updated recently and allowing the recent update may resolve some ot the issues.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
My Firefox was running slower after the most recent Java update, but after clearing my cache and running CCleaner it seems to be back to normal.

Just to note I ran a virus sweep beforehand- just in case.

I did the same thing as you littled, I used ccleaner, malwarebytes, combofix and Power Eraser. Combofix deleted 2 files, things seems to be running smother now.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

That's the smart way!

Anytime a program on my computer gets updated I use every tool I have at my disposal just to be on the safe side. A few years back I kept getting a recurring virus. Come to find out it was my weekly Windows Live Update. Ever since then I just treat every update no matter what the program like it probably has viruses. I "clean house" before I do anything!

new topics

top topics

join