It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EMP Chronicles - 2012

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I have to agree with the other posters who have vocalized that the militaries from nations of stature have done the lion's share of research on the topic, and most likely have developed defense and contingency measures to counter the affects on military equipment caused by an Electro Magnetic Pulse. Although, I am going to play devil's advocated for moment as well. To my knowledge, one has never been used in a real combat setting, and the tests have been done under controlled situations. We all know that in warfare there is no such thing as controlled settings as one would find in a research project. Things can go anywhere. Hopefully we will never find out what the affects from an EMP device on military equipment in combat, because that situation usually follows a discharged of a nuclear weapon.

As for the civilian electrical infrastructure in the US? It will be toast, and I am only being honest. Anybody remember the blackout that hit the Northeast in 2003? That was not caused by some mega weapon or terrorist attack, but good old fashioned defective equipment and human error.

Blackout was preventable, probe finds

As it did in its interim report, the task force largely blamed FirstEnergy Corp., based in Akron, Ohio, for the electrical failures on August 14, faulting the company's lack of communication, faulty equipment and inadequate training.

The task force said three power line failures in Ohio should have been contained by FirstEnergy operators.

As a result, the outage cascaded, eventually cutting off electricity to 50 million people.

The vulnerability of the civilian power grid is what gives me the heebie jeebies. That thing is held together by bubble gum and rubber bands! Not too mention other crucial infrastructure being in a woeful state of degredation like levees, bridges, roads, power plants, ect. I think the military could probably handle an EMP weapon, but the civilian infrastructure seems to be most vulnerable.

Yikes!!
edit on 2-9-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Just one minor correction any infrastructure using copper wire which does cover most electrical and telcom, but anything using Fiber optics will be fine.

And just for "fun"

www.hardenedstructures.com...

Anyone can get protection.
edit on 2-9-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
EMP Weaponry has been a threat since the latter 50's-60's on a larger scale. It all started with Project Fishbowl, Dominic and than Project Starfish which was conducted over the Pacific Ocean There had been 5 or 6 total tests in all.

The Military had done high altitude bomb testing with staggering results. They even managed to knock out their own systems that were monitoring operations from Hawaii, which was thought to be out of range from the effects which was around 900 Nautical miles from the initial event. Also some of the power grid were damaged in parts of Hawaii along with a few communications Relays. Nothing else was said of effects elsewhere from any of the tests.

Today the total damage would be unknown to civilians do the the fact of the Yield of the nuclear bomb used. Starfish Prime was a 1.4 MT Yield bomb.

The Visual effects were quit magnificent. The first Man Made Aurora's. The High energy Beta particles were seen streaming the earths Magnetic field. Other High energy Electrons were trapped, creating their own radiation belts, which did cause issues with then current satellites in low orbit. Some Electron's were reported to have stayed in a artificial radiation belt for up to or more than 5 years.

Which also leads to another problems with using a high altitude Nuclear device. Communications blackout via all Lower orbiting Com Sat's. Not only would it cripple the Enemy's Satellites, it would also cripple the country who launched the bomb also.

A more modern technology is the use of highly concentrated RF signals to cause localized EMP effects on a smaller more tactical area. This is known from the experience of others i know who have dabbled with this technology. Anyone who knows anything of RF engineering would know how to do this. The military just has a more powerful toy at their disposal is all.

Also Today's Technology is Far more susceptible to EM disruptions than say our older Analog and Tube based tech. Or current Microprocessor based tech is far more fragile than a tube and larger component.
edit on 2-9-2012 by Pegasus2000 because: Added content

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Just one minor correction any infrastructure using copper wire which does cover most electrical and telcom, but anything using Fiber optics will be fine.

And just for "fun"

Actually that is wrong, The systems controlling and contributing to the Fiber Optic systems are still Vulnerable via their Power source. The only thing that they have superior over our wire infrastructure is that they don't act as large antenna's like miles of transmission lines do. Even Hardened Electronics that are Microprocessor based are still vulnerable to EM interferences.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

And just for "fun"

Im building a faraday cage around me.......

Just to be safe.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Also another thing i even forgot to mention in my first post is the Vulnerability of all Nuclear power plants around the world. When the grid goes down, Nuclear power plants will be in trouble, They rely on Off station power, and when that power fails, the reactors Scram. After that they will rely on Diesels. Also the Electronics in the control systems will be effected. We can only hope there are New protocols set in place in a situation like this to overt this possible calamity.

This will compound the already existing problem of Power grid, Communications and transportation failure. For those like me who are survivalists, we will be facing a Radioactive fallout future.

We already have a good example of this kind of disaster sadly, Japan. The earthquake and Tsunami being the primary Disaster crippling the modern day tech. And the Fukushima NPP being a secondary effect. There were others along the eastern seaboard of Japan that were near possible catastrophe, but the disasters were diverted thankfully. This being a long felt disaster for much of the world, It can be learned from, if only we examine it and change our current outlook, Design and Protocols.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dontneedaname

Is this the same as Silent Sound Spread Sequence..by using HAARP sending signals to space and then bouncing back to cell phone towers which create artificial telepathy?? Did you know the US Navy has been playing with this in our Ocean..they have already screwed something up.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Suppose this could be a separate thread...but it relates..just finished watching the Rumors of War series 1-3 from Glenn Beck and pals..Here is #1

Enjoyed #1. #2, maybe about half as much...., and #3 about 75% as much as #1. Including the author of the Left Behind series was a big mistake in my view. (I've read the 1st one, so not speaking from ignorance) And some folks think the "messianic 12'ers / Iranians" are crazy....anyhoo....then these same folk (On either spectrum) have the gall to think that people who accept UFOs are crazy. Yeah...in a bipolar world, everyone is crazy.

But, if one is not familiar with what is going on in Iran/Israel, etc...or more deeper perspective. This series is an informative view. #1 and #2 are available on Youtube. #3 is not in Youtube on full, I found it on BitTorrent.
I think one of the earlier clips I posted is from #1, not sure, but it looked familiar. Watching these videos will give more context.

Some more links -- actually got a bunch more, but these are the recent ones in my browser window that I read.
some are recent 2012, some are earlier to 2009....

U.S. sees signs Israel could use nuclear EMP attack against Iran « -
warsclerotic.wordpress.com...

Could North Korea test uranium bomb for first time? | Reuters - www.reuters.com...

Military source warns of North’s EMP bomb -INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily - koreajoongangdaily.joinsmsn.com...

Why It Matters If North Korea has "Boosted" Fission: EMP - Don Rich - Open Salon - open.salon.com...

Al Fin: North Korea Pursues the "Easy Apocalypse": EMP - alfin2100.blogspot.com...

Is North Korea Making EMP Weapons? | Electromagnetic Pulse Bombs | LiveScience - www.livescience.com...

edit on 8-9-2012 by dontneedaname because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join