It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Relief [2014WC]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I always wondered how I would feel when the world ended.

Now I know. I feel relief.

The bombs fell on September 1, 2014. I think Iran fired first, or maybe North Korea. It doesn’t really matter, though.

Once that first atomic punch landed, the whole world got into the act.

The first news reports were grim. Entire cities, even countries, destroyed. No one was spared. The bombs fell everywhere.

I knew something was coming. I’d seen the writing on the wall, and so I prepared. Dug out this underground shelter, stocked it with enough food and water to last me years. I’ve got an entire arsenal in here to protect myself, and a generator to keep the television working.

I locked myself in here when the first bombs fell. The television broadcasted the news faithfully for about fifteen hours. Then it went to snow. I’ve checked every channel daily…nothing. Doesn’t sound good for those above ground.

Its now been almost three months since September 1. And I’ve made a startling discovery.

I didn’t dig deep enough.

I’m pretty sure I’m suffering from radiation poisoning. My hair fell out last week, I’ve got sores everywhere, and there’s a constant taste of iron in my mouth. Just yesterday I noticed the blood leaking from my skin. I guess the iodine tablets weren’t enough.
I know I am dying. I just hope it doesn’t take too long.

I have to admit, I’m curious about aboveground. And since nothing can save me now, I’ve decided to take a peek. After all, what’s a little more radiation? Just a quicker end to it all.

I open the bunker door and blink stupidly at the sight before me. Everything is gone. I mean, everything. No trees, no buildings, no cars…nothing.

The sky is scorched. It’s a whirling mass of storm clouds and lightning. Off in the distance I can see two tornados. They’re entirely made of fire.

I’ve seen enough.

Back in my bunker, I pull my favorite pistol to my side. Its been sitting on the table near me for weeks. I check it religiously, three times a day.

The bullets are still there.

Soon, I’ll use it. And this nightmare will be over at last.

Relief.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Ooooo. Chilling and dark. I like it. SnF.

I guess I better ramp up my story telling abilities a bit, as you are definitely producing quality material this month. Add two more paragraphs and you'll have created a flag grabber. Honest!

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

S&F as usual. A decidedly dark tale. I think this is going to be the theme this month.

Well done.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
I’ve seen enough.

Back in my bunker, I pull my favorite pistol to my side. Its been sitting on the table near me for weeks. I check it religiously, three times a day.

The bullets are still there.

Soon, I’ll use it. And this nightmare will be over at last.

Relief.

This. Sent chills up my back as I read it. A darker side to your usual style, liking it.

S&F.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I enjoyed your story smyleegrl..It was very well done thank you for posting this..S&F peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
S+F
Very well written.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Great writing! S&F for you!

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
A great read! You are a talented writer. Let's just hope it doesn't come true (during our lifetime).

S&F

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I wish I could flag this. Good work

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodledad

Erm... why can't you flag this?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I don't know. I just joined, maybe that's it?

top topics

join