It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FLOTUS Michelle Obama Prepares Course on How To Shop for Groceries

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I doubt very much she has prepared for her family since at least 20 Jan 2009 let alone shopped for a week’s groceries or even for one meal.

It is the hypocrisy that makes this whole thing stink not the intent or the advice itself.

The First Lady doesn't shop for groceries any more than Barry just walks into a place for a burger. The whole event is scripted and planned, the employees vetted, the place secured and the food checked...

People who buy into this idea that the first couple are just like us are gullible at best.

I don’t expect them to be like us – they have bigger things to worry about than grocery shopping. Please just don’t condescend and act like its one of your chores and you have become something of an expert at it. I question the last time Michelle Obama went shopping for groceries at all let alone since she became FLOTUS.

If I want someone's advice - I will ask for it until then she can just shut her pie hole.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

So, what causes should FLOTUS take up then? Should they simply sit in the shadows of the president and remain obediently silent? Do you not think it is a wonderful thing that they use their opportunity in the spotlight to promote worthwhile causes?

While you and I may be well rounded individuals capable of making responsible decisions, that is not the case for many. There are millions of people who regularly turn to someone for advice. Many of those seeking advice turn to people they look up to or people that inspire them. Many times the only people in one's life that are worth looking up to are those in the limelight, as they have no positive role models in their daily life. When those in the limelight promote something positive it should be applauded not deplored. If the message being sent was one that promoted self destructive behavior, then I would totally agree with your premise; however, offering advice on drugs, literacy and nutrition are not in any way promoting negativity.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

If I want someone's advice - I will ask for it until then she can just shut her pie hole.

Oh thank you, internet king, for telling us when we can type up an article giving advice. I mean, I know, google returns 455,000,000 hits for "shopping tips", but that is totally irrelevant until YOU ask for it.

Forget that Mrs. Obama has a right to free speech, she shouldn't speak unless spoken to, by you of course.

BTW, even if she may not do her own grocery shopping anymore, that does not mean she has never done grocery shopping before. For 44 years of her life she was not the first lady, i am sure, within that time, she has shopped for groceries.
edit on 2-9-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
m (O.o) m – Hit a nerve did I?

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
reply to post by Golf66

Oh thank you, internet king, for telling us when we can type up an article giving advice. I mean, I know, google returns 455,000,000 hits for "shopping tips", but that is totally irrelevant until YOU ask for it.

I have never Goggled shopping advice because I don't want or need any. That doesn't mean it’s not there - you have made a huge straw man there. I said if I want Michelle Obama's advice I will ask for it. Simple really - I'm sure she appreciates your support and defense though.

Forget that Mrs. Obama has a right to free speech, she shouldn't speak unless spoken to, by you of course.

Ok, I agree she has the same rights as any woman in the US to publish and answer the all consuming debate of our time - "tips for proper shopping". However, the difference is Michelle is using my taxpayer funds to research and publish it and lending her title of FLOTUS to the advice to give it more weight.

BTW, even if she may not do her own grocery shopping anymore, that does not mean she has never done grocery shopping before. For 44 years of her life she was not the first lady, i am sure, within that time, she has shopped for groceries.

If you can prove to me that Michelle Obama shopped for the families groceries anywhere on a regular and weekly basis any time after Barry assumed an elected office - I'll eat my underwear.

My Mom shopped for years too but I don't ask for her advice and she doesn't ask for a grant of taxpayer funds to impart her particular style or advice for public consumption.

Again, all I stated was that if I want advice I'll ask for it.

If I need shopping advice - I won't ask for it from Michelle Obama who is a friggin lawyer FFS.

I'll ask say the staff at Better Homes and Gardens with years of research data and a staff of people with degrees in Home economics and Family Management.

The FLOTUS has not shopped for groceries on a regular basis for more than 20 years I bet. In fact I doubt she ever has, their kids were not ever born until Barry was in public office.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Yes lets take shopping lessons from a rich person.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golf66
However, the difference is Michelle is using my taxpayer funds to research and publish it and lending her title of FLOTUS to the advice to give it more weight.

Wait a minute, Michelle is on the payroll of the US government? Oh, she's not? Okay, then please inform us what tax money she is using? Make sure you provide sources so that I don't have to ask later.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
We just don't need the government to suggest how we eat or shop.
We need the government to get out of bed with Big Food...and Big Pharma.

Where is the government suggesting how we eat or shop?
What harm is it doing you?
What should Michelle Obama do about the ties to big Pharma, etc?

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

I have never Goggled shopping advice because I don't want or need any. That doesn't mean it’s not there - you have made a huge straw man there.

Please detail the straw man?

Ok, I agree she has the same rights as any woman in the US to publish and answer the all consuming debate of our time - "tips for proper shopping".

Sometimes, I too, consult the interwebs for advice that is obscure or is uninteresting to most people.

However, the difference is Michelle is using my taxpayer funds to research and publish it and lending her title of FLOTUS to the advice to give it more weight.

What are you talking about?

If you can prove to me that Michelle Obama shopped for the families groceries anywhere on a regular and weekly basis any time after Barry assumed an elected office - I'll eat my underwear.

I am sure this is well documented and is in no way an unreasonable request. You win this one.

My Mom shopped for years too

I am skeptical of this claim, do you have any proof?

but I don't ask for her advice

Your issue.

and she doesn't ask for a grant of taxpayer funds to impart her particular style or advice for public consumption.

Your mothers issue.

Again, all I stated was that if I want advice I'll ask for it.

And until then everyone else can shut up and not give advice.

If I need shopping advice - I won't ask for it from Michelle Obama who is a friggin lawyer FFS.

And lawyers cant shop.

I'll ask say the staff at Better Homes and Gardens with years of research data and a staff of people with degrees in Home economics and Family Management.

I thought you weren't asking at all. Continuity.

The FLOTUS has not shopped for groceries on a regular basis for more than 20 years I bet.

What is a "regular basis"? Do you mean that she maybe went shopping, like, once a week?

In fact I doubt she ever has, their kids were not ever born until Barry was in public office.

No kids = never shopping.

Husband in politics = never shopping

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I'm 50 years old. I don't need a mother figure telling me how to grocery shop.
Adults are capable of grocery shopping without the White House getting involved.

Is everyone a 50 year old capable adult?
The simple fact that you think that the whiteouse is doing this kind of proves you need some kind if

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
Yes lets take shopping lessons from a rich person.

You say that as if Michelle Obama wrote the guidelines herself. All she has done is take up a worthwhile cause and, using her position in the spotlight, passed the message along to America. A message rooted in research and scientific facts. Research and facts provided by advocacy groups that do not have the same stage to promote it from. It's such an atrocious act on her behalf to make you listen to the message. How dare her not give you the opportunity to turn a def ear upon her message. Is she still there holding you down while forcing the information down your throat? If so, let her know she is late for her next government intrusion.

If you will excuse me, I must leave the conversation for a brief while. I can hear Mitt Romney's voice on my television and I must go write up a rant about it. I intend to write a rant because it is so much easier than changing the channel or ignoring it all together.
edit on 2-9-2012 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

She is presuming to give unsolicited advice to adults who are VERY capable of living without it.
I did not even hear about this anywhere outside ATS and when I did, I did not even begin to presume it was intended for me. Why wuld toy do

It is BEYOND SILLY that you aren't insulted by being spoken down to like this.

I dont feel spoken down to but then again, I do not feel this applies to me.
It seems like you are just looking for things to be upset about.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeatherNLace

Wait a minute, Michelle is on the payroll of the US government? Oh, she's not? Okay, then please inform us what tax money she is using? Make sure you provide sources so that I don't have to ask later.

If you believe that Michelle is sitting at her desk diligently typing her "shopping guide" absent the use of her staff (who is paid by us BTW) to do the research, typing, printing, or media scheduling (Oprah, Today Show, MSNBC for sure) to "sell it" you are naive at best. I would risk another word but it’s not polite.

The Whitehouse webmasters and internet staff (paid govt employees), the Whitehouse server (govt property), will be used to publish all manner of pages links and documents for this initiative.

I doubt she will just walk into Costco or Piggly Wiggly alone and figure the best shopping scheme to save money... How much do you think it costs us for her to jaunt out to the store?

Then she will bombard the public by traveling around to schools and other "Mom type" forums to "get the word out".
Who pays for her to fly around on a plane with her staff and secret service details (who are paid by us BTW)?.

She may not receive a salary per se for the position but there is a salary in kind in terms of a staff and budget.

A taxpayer funded staff and assets for her to use to do whatever she wishes - everything from her hair and make-up, to party planning, to taking her Mother (who also lives in the Whitehouse BTW on our dime) shopping, writing her speeches... the lists of things we fund for the FLOTUS is exhaustive.

Word coming out of a Canadian press outlet is revealing that American taxpayers are shelling out a staggering total of $1,591,200 annually for the First Lady’s 22 member personal staff. She has deputy assistants to the President and Policy and Projects; a press corps; deputies for chief of staff social secretaries; and associate directors of scheduling, traveling aides, and correspondence people who help full time directors of these divisions. This figure doesn’t include her make- up artist or First Hairstylist who rode with her aboard Air Force One on one trip to Europe.

www.westernjournalism.com...

You honestly think she is going to do this herself?

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Please detail the straw man?

Your straw man in constructed in that you are making it seem like Michelle Obama is some stay at home Mom with a blog who is going to publish some information like the other 455K hits you get when you search the internet and that’s the end of it. You are not acknowledging that she is the FLOTUS and will not only write a "shopping guide" she will publish it using taxpayer funded printing, edited by taxpayer funded staff, then travel around the US at every opportunity spouting off about its existence and how important it is.

You make my argument something it is not - I have no objection to people penning and posting unsolicited advice. People can then search for that advice if they so choose.

However, my argument is that using the bully pulpit of her FLOTUS position forcing this "shopping guide" down our collective throats every time she shows her mug in public....

That is the difference between my argument and the straw man you constructed.

As for the rest of your post it seems to me you might have some sand lodged in a very uncomfortable place.
edit on 2/9/2012 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/9/2012 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

Your straw man in constructed in that you are making it seem like Michelle Obama is some stay at home Mom with a blog who is going to publish some information like the other 455K hits you get when you search the internet and that’s the end of it.

Not a mother who stays at home = Not allowed to give advice on shopping

You are not acknowledging that she is the FLOTUS and will not only write a "shopping guide" she will publish it using taxpayer funded printing, edited by taxpayer funded staff, then travel around the US at every opportunity spouting off about its existence and how important it is.

First off, was this taxpayer funded?

Second:

FLOTUS = Not allowed to give advice on shopping

You make my argument something it is not - I have no objection to people penning and posting unsolicited advice.

Except the FLOTUS

However, my argument is that using the bully pulpit of her FLOTUS position forcing this "shopping guide" down our collective thoughts every time she shows her mug in public....

The legislation that made the article mandatory reading for all Americans DIDN'T HAPPEN.

As for the rest of your post it seems to me you might have some sand lodged in a very uncomfortable place.

I was just at the beach.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

The Whitehouse webmasters and internet staff (paid govt employees), the Whitehouse server (govt property), will be used to publish all manner of pages links and documents for this initiative.

And how much money did it cost ATS to host you long-winded, pointless response? Pennies per year?

I am still waiting for you to provide tangible proof that Michelle Obama is using our tax dollars for her worthy cause. I suspect I will remain in wait for the entirety of my life.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TFCJay

I have friends in the grocery industry and they are telling me to watch out cause food prices today are going to jump 35% next year.I'm struggling trying to feed 2 people now. I'm going to have to grow my own if we want to eat next year at all.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimithae
reply to post by TFCJay

I have friends in the grocery industry and they are telling me to watch out cause food prices today are going to jump 35% next year.I'm struggling trying to feed 2 people now. I'm going to have to grow my own if we want to eat next year at all.

Heed that advice my friend and buy now - I own a dairy and just contracted for my winter grain mix. Same order as last year in size. Price tag +35% over last year. Bulk milk prices are already up 15 cents a gallon which is about 12% and will go higher as we pass on the grain and hay increase to you...

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeatherNLace
I am still waiting for you to provide tangible proof that Michelle Obama is using our tax dollars for her worthy cause. I suspect I will remain in wait for the entirety of my life.

www.letsmove.gov...

You see the .gov at the end of the letsmove?

Means it’s a government web site, staffed by government paid employees who edit and publish the information. It’s not a complicated leap to make really.

Certainly her staff (paid by us) at a minimum edits her work if not researches and writes it. All those photos were taken by her staff, you can see the Secret Service Agents with her at the store - they work for free do they?

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Certainly her staff (paid by us) at a minimum edits her work if not researches and writes it. All those photos were taken by her staff, you can see the Secret Service Agents with her at the store - they work for free do they?

Yes, Michelle has a staff and security; so does every First Lady, and rightfully so. What are Presidents suppose to do, place their wives in a holding cell until their term is done? Should they be banished to the First Lady to the living quarters of the White House for the entirety of the Presidency?

You use the word "certainly", but still provide no evidence that Michelle uses her staff to research, wright and edit materials in support of her cause. Certain by who, you? Again, prove your certainty with sourced material or move on.

Did it ever occur to you that advocacy groups, who have done their own research, writing and editing may have approached the FLOTUS and provided the materials? Nah, that could never happen. You sir are nitpicking a minor "issue" that you can not even prove exists.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Seriously??? You all in the White House think grown up Americans want your instructions to us on how to grocery shop?? Who the heck do you think you are? Nanny state gone wild!

It's unfortunately needed. Do you get out of the house much? The majority of our fellow Americans are below retardation level. It's amazing how stupid our population has become. I'm almost scared to leave my house every day because I know eventually one of these retards (that don't know how to grocery shop) will get me into a car accident or something.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join