It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FLOTUS Michelle Obama Prepares Course on How To Shop for Groceries

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Michelle is evil because she is trying to
Influence people to make healthier eating
Choices?

I can see why conservatives are mad...

The south is over flowing with obesity,
I see it in my travels. In some small towns
I have passed through in Texas 100% of people
In some public establisents are obese. Every single
Person...

Right on FLOTUS!

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

You really wrote out all of that just to avoid saying you have no idea what the answer to my question is?
I am not at all clear on why you posted info about 2010.

So, you do not know. Thank you sincerely.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeatherNLace
Are you seriously ranting about this? ?

If I were 'ranting' ... you'd know about it. I made a statement ... this is STUPID.
You have your opinion on the matter .. and I have mine.

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
She sounds more like a mother trading shopping advice than some kind of dictator.

I'm 50 years old. I don't need a mother figure telling me how to grocery shop.
Adults are capable of grocery shopping without the White House getting involved.

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Are YOU serious?

Definately. It's ABSURD for the white house to do this. BEYOND SILLY.
But I'm not surprised that mommy-in-chief has a cheerleader in you. Predictable.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

You come up with a plan then.

A start would be to not allow Big Pharma and Big Argo to fund medical studies , as they have a vested interest in certain outcomes. Don't allow results to be buried if they don't fit certain criteria.
Keep the same two entities away from the USDA Food Pyramid.

Do something with the advertising aimed at children proclaiming the wonders of fortified sugar-laden cereals.
Let people find out how the "healthy" vegetable oil or powdered egg and cheese came into existence.

Have doctors learn a more holistic approach to medicine.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Are you seriously ranting about this? ?

If I were 'ranting' ... you'd know about it. I made a statement ... this is STUPID.
You have your opinion on the matter .. and I have mine.

She sounds more like a mother trading shopping advice than some kind of dictator.

Adults are capable of grocery shopping without the White House getting involved.

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Are YOU serious?

Definately. It's ABSURD for the white house to do this. BEYOND SILLY.
But I'm not surprised that mommy-in-chief has a cheerleader in you. Predictable.

How is she "getting involved"

Really?

Last I checked suggesting something, or advocating something is not the same
as using force.

People are free, as are you, to listen or ignore her suggestions.

It is BEYOND SILLY that you are so perturbed by this message.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by thepresident

She is presuming to give unsolicited advice to adults who are VERY capable of living without it.

It is BEYOND SILLY that you aren't insulted by being spoken down to like this.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Endorra

Now.. I honestly don't have 2011 sitting in front of me..and I don't believe 2009 is among what they released..tho I could be mistaken. I'm a little busy on something else ATM to be digging through more pages of numbers and an hour or more to find the originals just to start sifting.

Tho geeze..... One tax return with actual print from the document itself...and it's what other years? I guess if I DID get those two..it'd be something else..and something else..and yes, in the end, yet something else. What was that about bickering?

I'm heading back to what I'm working on. Taking a break here was nice...in moderation. I think I may just dump the 4-5 political forums off my ATS list entirely. Even WITH facts....it's an endless debate thrown back over trivial stuff. Anyone else believe the sheer message traffic generated now because our FLOTUS figured she had wisdom to share over grocery shopping? Yikes!

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Not everyone in the United States is a 50-year-old mother with decades of grocery shopping experience. In fact, many young parents these days grew up eating sugary cereal and pop-tarts for breakfast. They grew up eating vending machine snacks for lunch. They grew up eating dinners consisting of frozen foods, taco bell, takeout pizza, etc. That is what they were raised on. That is what they think a meal should be. Because of this, I suspect there are many folks who could use a bit of education and advice on grocery shopping and making health conscious decisions with their meal selections. You don't need it, that's great! But you do not speak for everyone. It might be "STUPID" to you, but it may be educational to others.

BTW, the government didn't interfere in your life by offering this course. You took time out of your life by your own free will to read the materials sourced in your OP. The government didn't "force" that on you.

Get it? Somehow, I doubt you do.
edit on 2-9-2012 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

A start would be to not allow Big Pharma and Big Argo to fund medical studies , as they have a vested interest in certain outcomes. Don't allow results to be buried if they don't fit certain criteria. Keep the same two entities away from the USDA Food Pyramid.

I think banning companies from funding scientific research is a bad idea. I would say that banning companies from manipulating the government, via hiding crucial information or with money, is reasonable.

Do something with the advertising aimed at children proclaiming the wonders of fortified sugar-laden cereals.

I think, that lying to people in order to push your product is wrong. However, advertising your product is not.

That said, they could make an effort to increase nutritional value, raising prices though.

Have doctors learn a more holistic approach to medicine.

Like, what, spiritual healing? Is this going into legislation?

link   

She is presuming to give unsolicited advice to adults who are VERY capable of living without it.

As far as I see, many Americans seem to be making some horrible choices regarding
food. If some people are motivated by her efforts and make a change for the better,
I think that is a good thing. This country is FAT and UNHEALTHY due to it, I personally
hope everyone who is going done the wrong path will reexamine their eating habits.

Last I checked, you are free to ignore advice, change the channel, walk away
or even post on the internet and deride anything you'd like. That is the beauty
of the 1st amendment.

Are you trying to tell us that FLOTUS is hurting American institution?

link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I think you may be looking at this a bit too hard.

MO is simply sharing some useful skills. I don't believe there is any nefarious intent behind this....she's showing people how to shop wisely for god's sake.

It is commonplace for First Ladies to get involved in much more flamboyant endevours such as Laura Bush and her reading/children programs.

Early in the President's first term, she launched "Ready to Read, Ready to Learn," an education initiative that promoted best practices in early childhood education and raised awareness of innovative teacher training programs. Inspired by her success with the Texas Book Festival, Mrs. Bush founded the National Book Festival to introduce tens of thousands of Americans to their favorite authors each year.

I have no problem with the FIrst Lady doing somehting like this. But how far do you take it?

As the leader of President Bush's Helping America's Youth initiative, Mrs. Bush oversaw 10 Federal agencies in a groundbreaking partnership that realized the vision of the President Bush's Management Agenda. Through a national conference in Washington and six regional conferences, Helping America's Youth taught more than 1,000 community members new strategies to address the needs of at-risk youth.

10 federal agencies? Wow! Showing some folks how to get the best deals in the supermarket seems kind of petty....now doesn't it?

(Disclaimer: I did not pick out Laura Bush to make a political point. I just chose her because she was the last FL)

Link
edit on 2-9-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Kind of like Nancy Regan giving unsolicited advice on drug usage? Just like Laura Bush giving unsolicited advice on literacy? Do you feel the same way about them as you do Michelle Obama?

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by LeatherNLace

Unlike drugs...being fat, unhealthy, hypertensive, diabetic, cancerous and lethargic
is good for America

How could drinking 23 teaspoons of sugar a day be bad?

It just makes you a sweeter person

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by thepresident

It just makes you a sweeter person

I like your logic, sir. Im going to start cannibalizing race car drivers and bodybuilders, cant wait for the results.

Be proud, you have changed my life.

edit on 2-9-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Did we have an obesity problem before food stamps?

Government is the problem not the solution.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

huh

it's hard to decide which is more condescending and controlling...her giving harmless advice - or you telling us we should be offended by this because it's condescending and controlling

I suggest you let it go - and just not listen to anything she says

I like Michelle Obama - a lot

I respect her

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Did we have an obesity problem before food stamps?

Government is the problem not the solution.

Food stamps make people fat? Michelle Obama is now the government?

Double fail

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

Not food stamps....that has nothing to do with food choices.

It's the food choices.
Hamburger and Tuna Meal Aids in 30 varieties....healthy snacks that are anything but....fake fats.....fake sugar......Frankenfoods.

We just don't need the government to suggest how we eat or shop.
We need the government to get out of bed with Big Food...and Big Pharma.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Kind of like Nancy Regan giving unsolicited advice on drug usage? Just like Laura Bush giving unsolicited advice on literacy? Do you feel the same way about them as you do Michelle Obama?

Nancy Reagan .. yep. Silly. Out of place. And none of her business if people want to smoke dope or not.

Laura Bush ... depends on what aspect. She was a school teacher and if she wants to get involved in certain programs to help schools ... then fine. But dont' go lecturing people on what to do when it comes to what kids should and shouldn't be reading. It's none of her business.

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis
I like Michelle Obama - a lot

Obviously.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

A little catty - but, that's OK

:-)

You know what Flyers Fan? She just may be our mommy for a while longer - you should pace yourself

I had similar feelings about George - that was a tough 8 years for me :-)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join