It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new country in North America? What do Canadians and Americans make of this?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Wrong, if every province had the same amount of cash, why would there be an equalization program ? If Alberta never put money in, Quebec would get less, giving it to the federal government to hand to Quebec is the same as paying directly.

Since 1957, when the equalization program was started, Quebec has taken half the money doled out and has never spent a single year as a "have" province. Fixing this mess should have been central to the Quebec election but with the rest of the country agreeing to pay their bills Quebecers argued about language, religion and everything but the economy.

Ha I dont see how my correct statements are viewed as wrong in your eyes. Its fact not my opinion. Why you wrote "Wrong, if every province had the same amount of cash, why would there be an equalization program ?" is beyond me, whats your point? Your quote "Quebec has taken half the money doled out and has never spent a single year as a "have" province" What are you talking about taken half the money doled out? I do however agree that Quebecers sure do love to argue about language, religion and other topics they deem important to them. How dare they. I agree that they cost the country a lot financially but I feel as a separate nation it would cost the entire country a great deal more.

www.edmontonsun.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
This is a wonderful thing and I have the highest of hopes for them. It needs to be done here as well. Like minded people should not be forced to dwell with those they feel no kinship to, it makes no sense at all. It is insane that we have a system here in the states that forces 2 completely different ideologies to battle each other nonstop, day in and day out. What is even worse is that there are people who insist that it is a good idea to do just that. No matter how much strife they see between people, no matter how bitter the feelings get between those on the left and those on the right, they tell you this road leads to prosperity and love...it does not. Being ruled over by someone whose beliefs you do not share never leads to the warm fuzzy feeling that Chris Mathews gets when he hears the word Obama. It leads only to citizen against citizen, my way against your way.
The sad part is our Founding Fathers wrote the Constitution so this battle never need take place, so that our love for our countrymen could remain in tact and the worst thing we could say is"Boy am I glad I do not live in your state."
If people on all sides do not start demanding the 10th Amendment gets followed to the letter, we are always going to be battling each other..........instead of offering each other 50 unique places to call home. Each consisting of like minded people who share a common bond.
We fight, we spend billions of dollars needlessly to make the other guy live like we think he should...and for what? Couldn't that money be better spent elsewhere?
Each of us are supposed to be able to open a map and say "that state is too liberal for me or that state is too conservative for me," or whatever the people of that state have decided collectively is their identity. We are supposed to have the freedom to locate ourselves in the state that best represents our beliefs. Not force our will on whoever loses the election and hope we get re-elected so that we can do it again for 4 more years. It is madness and it has to stop.

I do not want to live in a heavily conservative state, I want to live IN a Conservative state. I do not want you to live in a liberal dominated state.....I want you to live IN a liberal state.
If you only wished I had a place I could live my life the way I wanted, as much as I wish you had a place to live your life the way you wanted......then we really could be countrymen.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Well What HAPPENED is it a separate Place Now ? With Passports and stuff ?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ExNihilo

I say, if you want to become your own country - go for it. I know much of Canada west of Ottawa would love to say, "See ya" to your selfish language laws and belief that you're "more special" than any of the other large ethnic communities in Canada.

I'm keen to see how the French handle a new currency and new passports. Should be fun. I doubt you'd be granted automatic dual citizenship.

SO hey, have fun with all that. You won't be missed...

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

maybe they can change their team name to "les habitants" , their informal nick name...

that is a very interesting question though..

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

edit on 10-1-2013 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ExNihilo

How soon can they leave? Can they take their share of the debt with them? Can we stop the 10-12 billion dollar transfer payments propping up their economy for them from the west? people are tired of the whining its like a bitter divorce that has gone on too long and we are tired of paying child support. The kids have had enough time to grow up go to collage and move out on there own. Its time to move on as a country with or without Quebec. Preferably
without

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hermit777
Well What HAPPENED is it a separate Place Now ? With Passports and stuff ?

They won't leave, they are getting a sweet deal being part of Canada.

Only place in the world where you get billions of dollars every year, your kids pay less for university and you openly disdain on the main language and culture of the rest of the country....and the politicians turn a blind eye to it all.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join