It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop Shoots And Kills Active Duty Soldier On Domestic Violence Call

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Keeping with the belief of many here on ATS, is the Military being targeted to be made into potential terrorists? Dangerous? Threat to the public?

No back story here yet as to what actually happened but I'm sure we will be hearing more about this in the MSM.

"Obviously, the officer felt threatened enough to fire"

Really? This doesn't stand for many incidents of cops killing unarmed civilians, why is it obvious here? Nothing is obvious until there is a credible witness IMO.

Peace

edit on 1-9-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

No back story here yet as to what actually happened but I'm sure we will be hearing more about this in the MSM.

If you don't know the backstory how can you even tie it to proclamations that soldiers are terrorists? Yep, there are scumbags in the military who beat their wives and commit all sorts of other crimes. DUI is actually the most prevalent thing I've seen personally (Alcohol related crimes in general are a problem). If he threatened a cop he was going to get shot. It doesn't matter what you do for a living and it's not likely the cop even knew what he did for a living before he shot him. It's a 4 day weekend, no uniform on the guy most likely. Even if he was uniformed, if you threaten a cop then you will meet equal force.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

If you don't know the backstory how can you even tie it to proclamations that soldiers are terrorists? Yep, there are scumbags in the military who beat their wives and commit all sorts of other crimes. DUI is actually the most prevalent thing I've seen personally (Alcohol related crimes in general are a problem). If he threatened a cop he was going to get shot. It doesn't matter what you do for a living and it's not likely the cop even knew what he did for a living before he shot him. It's a 4 day weekend, no uniform on the guy most likely. Even if he was uniformed, if you threaten a cop then you will meet equal force.

Read the OP. I am asking the same questions that many have been asking here on ATS and this incident is either a coincidence or a plan.

Again...it's a question.

And I repeat... "Nothing is obvious until there is a credible witness IMO."

Peace

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
The MSM twist is doing their usual song and dance:

Tacoma's police chief says an officer who felt threatened by an ARMED man fatally shot the man...

The chief told The News Tribune that investigators found a .45-caliber handgun near the dead man's body. It was not clear whether the man pointed the gun at the officer, who is now on leave.

www.sfgate.com...

edit on 1-9-2012 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murgatroid
The MSM twist is doing their usual song and dance:

Tacoma's police chief says an officer who felt threatened by an ARMED man fatally shot the man...

The chief told The News Tribune that investigators found a .45-caliber handgun near the dead man's body. It was not clear whether the man pointed the gun at the officer, who is now on leave.

www.sfgate.com...

edit on 1-9-2012 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

Hard to say if it's twist or not.

I do find it curious that the investigators found it as opposed to anyone else actually seeing it or even the officer stating it.

And they sure put him on leave quick. The body was still in the yard.

Again, who knows?

Peace

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Wow, it sounds like you are projecting a bit there. The OP sugested nothing of the kind...

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Did you even watch the video?
Speculations and assumptions abound, even by the Officer commenting to the media!
Neighbors saw the suspect moving out of his girlfriend's house. Does that sound like a wife-beater? Usually they want to be in FULL control. They don't try to leave a bad situation...
As for the gun, who knows where it came from, or who it even belonged to! They assume it was the suspects, but have not confirmed it...
As for the officer who shot the man, he has been on the force for 5 years and has already been involved in at least one other shooting...No word on the prior shooting, yet.

Pehaps instead of jumping to the defense of anyone, you should gather all of the facts, first, as mentioned by the OP...

And, lastly, I love your final sentence...

Even if he was uniformed, if you threaten a cop then you will meet equal force.

Without solid evidence the gun found was in play, it's just a cop that felt threatened. Meeting a threat with deadly force does not imply equal, without knowing what the threat was.
The cop could have just seen a gun, and panicked, and fired. He did only hit one of two rounds. Sounds panicky to me. Or, he could have faced a legitimate threat and acted in accordance to the situation.
We just don't know!

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Look just because he was a soldier doesn't mean there was no justification for the cops action. Domestic violence is common in America as a whole, adding the stresses of deployments and the routine of military life, sometimes soldiers crack under the pressure and things get out of hand.

It's not like there's no resources for these soldiers. I know first hand that if something was going wrong in my life my NCO support channel would go to great lengths to help me fix the problems I'm facing. But it is up to the soldier, or the family to reach out for help before it boils over.

This is most likely a case of a soldier living in a pattern of behavior, augmented by the stresses of Army life with no external aid ever sought. Sometimes this leads to tragedy like this. Sometimes it leads to soldiers being kicked out of the Army, or being incarcerated. It's a sad event, but sometimes it happens and there's nothing that can be done about it.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Every Domestic violence case has somebody who is or was somebody formerly or presently, current or previous occupation aside.

Was he armed?

Was the killing justified?

Is this another example of out of control Police?

Those are the real questions IMHO.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
So an armed man threatens the police officer with a .45 during a domestic violence call and just because he is an "active duty soldier" he shouldn't have been shot...

come on, are you all retarded?

some people need to wake up for real... I'd like to see you guys go on domestic calls and get threatened by someone with a gun WHO IS TRAINED TO KILL WITHOUT MERCY....

never mind, you'd all get killed trying to use "other than deadly force"...

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Here's an article with some more info in it.

He apparently had a CCW for the .45. Sounds like he and an ex GF got into it and she called the police.

He was moving out of the apartment in preparation for transfer to Ft Carson Colorado.

www.thenewstribune.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by bg_socalif
Here's an article with some more info in it.

He apparently had a CCW for the .45. Sounds like he and an ex GF got into it and she called the police.

He was moving out of the apartment in preparation for transfer to Ft Carson Colorado.

www.thenewstribune.com...

Thanks for that.

Still not clear on why the LEO felt threatened enough to kill the guy tho.

Hopefully it'll come out.

Peace

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I think the new rule with the police lately is....

shoot you first..

then ask questions after that..

also, shooting your dog is a first response with LEO's too..

much less paperwork and paid leave to boot..

you are now dead and can't defend what you might have been doing..

like saying "hold on officer, i have a CCW permit and a gun on me"

BLAM..... just like that...

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
It's only going to get worse.

The returning troops are a ticking time bomb for the US Government, and they know it.

The troops are drugged up to the eyeballs to turn them into ruthless killing machines.

On returning, many will kill themselves, and many will (Suicide by Cop).

Sad.

edit on 2-9-2012 by Pedro4077 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Q13Fox - Man shot by Tacoma police officer a decorated soldier

......................A .45 caliber handgun was found near the his body, Ramsdell said, but it was unclear if he had pointed the gun at the policeman.

Ramsdell said the officer who shot the man has been on the force for about five years, and that this was the second time he had been involved in a shooting. He was placed on paid administrative leave pending an investigation.

The incident began as a domestic violence call at the Lakeside Landing Apartments on South Mildred, Ramsdell said. Officers didn’t find anyone at that address. But officers knew that one of the people lived in the 800 block of South M Street and sent an officer there, Ramsdell said.

The officer was sitting in his patrol car at the M Street address, when a truck pulled up and a man got out. When the officer got out of his car to approach the the Gavin, he started running toward a house, but then turned and got into a confrontation with the officer, Ramsdell said.

“The officer felt threatened at a certain point, at which point he fired two shots and hit the individual at least once," Ramsdell said.

Gavin was pronounced dead at the scene.

edit on 2-9-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join