It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice guys please.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Been a little bit of insanity at work this evening and to cut the story short every member of the permanent (in a country pub) kitchen team has left par me (the kitchen porter), it's the only job i can really do at the moment as i have no transport etc (and it's a live in job) so i decided to stay after the head chef, sous and commis all left this evening,
i know the next few days are going to be hell for me because of the already arrogant landlord who is gonna to be a little peeved with all the Temporary agency kitchen staff he will have to hire and I'm going to have to pick up the food preparation slack that will undoubtedly occur because of the serious lack of people who know what they are doing,
all of his and her(the landlords wife) anger will be taken out on me of course.
I really had to stay because i didn't want to leave the new chef de Rang (chief waiter) who is a decent lad to the circling landlord sharks, He is a live in waiter who only just got the job.

Any advice? Should i just get the hell outta here and leave the poor waiter lad on his own or stick it out in probable hell for a few weeks to see were everything goes?

Yours always, Ted
edit on 1/9/12 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Hey Ted... some of the terminology you use is not familiar to me ( UK maybe? ) but if I'm understanding things correctly... then what you have is an opportunity. This could be a shot to distinguish yourself and to score points with the boss. Pick up the slack of the others and do it with a smile. You're likely to win friends or get rewarded with a better position for your troubles.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

You could be worrying a bit too much for nothing. Stay a while longer and see how you feel then.

If you do go, just give the chief waiter, a word of warning.

Best to hold on for the moment though, everything might work out in the end.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
If its not to unbearable, stick it out until other, better options are available.
plus this could be your time to shine, if they start giving you hell, stand up for yourself in a clear, proffesional manner, revise on any work related legislation so you know your rights.
dont stay just for the waiter even though its a very nice gesture, if you do stay then of course lend him a helping hand.

do what you think is the right thing to do

take care

Christafinias

edit on 1-9-2012 by christafinias because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
You have my sympathy Ted. I've worked in several commercial kitchens in my youth & your story is sadly very familiar! Mass walk-outs, poor conditions, crappy bosses & even crappier pay, I've seen it all.
As far as advice goes, if you really think it will get that bad & you have reasonable alternative options for work & accommodation, then you might want to cut your losses & get out. However, a smart thing to do at this point might be to capitalize on the situation & arm twist for more money to cover the increased work load?
Bosses in places like that can be right b@stards, I know that from experience, but you have little to lose in asking.

Best of luck!

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Hey Ted... some of the terminology you use is not familiar to me ( UK maybe? ) but if I'm understanding things correctly... then what you have is an opportunity. This could be a shot to distinguish yourself and to score points with the boss. Pick up the slack of the others and do it with a smile. You're likely to win friends or get rewarded with a better position for your troubles.

~Heff

Yup, plus he shouldn't forget why he's working. To earn money! That is the main reason to keep the job.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

It's not even British terminology Heff, it's the terminology of north Yorkshire man who has tried to drown his stress in beer and pork scratchings

I was hoping for some positive thinking responses and yours hit the nail on the head, Cheers man

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

You have to make up your own mind.

In no way am i trying to influence your decision, but i see you would be happy working in a cafe

Love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by HelionPrime

Well I'm just a nice guy you see, Try to work as hard as i can (Hell, it's a job after-all), However nothing i do is right even when i work unpaid overtime to try and keep up with the massive workload, The whole set up is insane.
Brilliant pub though, amazing location, great food (till all the chefs left obviously), Just a shame about the utterly ridiculous management

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

Well if i could find a Cafe round here that was a live in job id be straight in there

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Hi Ted. Remember I know where you work! I think this may be a golden opportunity for you. The rest of the kitchen staff have left, but you have stayed. I know it may be skirting the truth a bot, but point that out. "Everyone else has left, but I have remained loyal to you and I deserve some respect and I can step up to the plate and help you through this."

If the bloke doesn't get it, then leave. Then he'll have no one at all.

But don't "Nag" him!

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Hah! Fair point Schuyler, And ill nag him all the time till he gets the message...In his head, Of course

Your right, it might be my time to shine, then again i can't imagine shining will get me many brownie points lol

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
You have a live in job at a pub cafe'... the management is poor in that they are losing staff, pushing their team beyond their limits and of decency.

Sounds to me as if you are setting yourself up for more abuse with the plight of homelessness as a tool of management.

I have been in management for more than a few years and one of the best things a manager can do is respect and reward his team. A happy team is a productive team. You and all the rest seem unhappy.

You strike me as being competent, hard working, motivated, have smarts... and a good heart.

I don't know about your money situation and, being an American, I don't know the situation and enviroment of your chosen home area.

I suggest working hard, saving as much money as possible... even a little bit extra every week... it adds up. If things get better, fine. If they don't.. and I don't suspect they will... move on.

Is it possible for you to start your own business... even if it is a stand selling fish and chips... I know my iggnorance is showing. Try prepping and selling something that is cheap, simple, tasty, and peculiar to the locals of your area?

Here in North Carolina... I know guys that sell nothing but hot dogs or bologna burgers and they do pretty well. Odd thing is, a few of them were in a situation very much like yours. One guy actually was a chef up in New York City... moved to NC... made a small fortune selling loaded sausage dogs.

Anyway, good luck... and have faith in yourself and don't take no crap off no one.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   

when i work unpaid overtime

STOP the Train right there~!

If your workload is such .. by LAW, you need to be paid for this.. period. This is really piss poor management at his finest IMO~!

seriously. I'd wait it out and see what management does I'd give it a week and during that time I'd be looking for another job and see what else is out there and polish up that resume.

If the manager happens to say.."i'm not sure what I'm going to do.." .. I'd unload on him with both barrels cuz' he needs a wake up call .. !

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Im curious as to why everyone else left? And why are you staying (other than the obvious need for a job)? I mean...if everyone else has left...must be something to it? Am I wrong? And to agree with our other friends responding here...it might just be your chance to rise above the work-nonsense and do it with a smile.

Either way my friend...whichever you choose...the ball is now in your court. Stay and rise above by pulling it thru in the boss's eyes...or you leave and do away with the nonsense as everyone else did.

And so....choose you must. I would probably try to stay but only as long as it takes for the issues to become evident that no one preson or three persons...can fix them and save the boss.

Good luck...and let us know.

new topics

top topics

join