It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SNES VS. Sega Genesis - by the Angry Nintendo Nerd

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Angry Nintendo Nerd has been reviewing old video games from our past on his YouTube Channel, JamesNintendoNerd, for years now. Wanna nostalgia and watch an in depth and funny review of Nintendo's Top Gun or the fail Power Glove & more? Then look no further!

***DANGER: He is an Angry Nintendo Nerd and he has a potty mouth ***

TOP GUN - Nes Review by the Angry Nintendo Nerd - Cinemassacre.com

FRIDAY THE 13th - Nes Review - Angry Nintendo Nerd - Cinemassacre.com

THE POWER GLOVE - by the Angry Video Game Nerd - Cinemassacre.com

He's has a huge library of video games he's collected since he was a kid and from this he's done a lot reviews of all our favorite games from gaming systems of the past. Recently he made a two part video of SNES VS Sega Genesis an old argument that still heats up when debated today. I won't give away any spoilers and tell you who he chooses but I agree with his conclusion 100%! Are you a Sega Genesis fan or Super Nintendo fan, or do you go both ways?

SNES VS. Sega Genesis

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I love AVGN and have seen every episode. I even got my girlfriend into watching him. Good to see someone else who enjoys his humor and nostalgia like me.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by justin366

Yeah I'm a fan of his and he's only gotten better over the years and I look forward to his new stuff. For everyone new to him I definitely recommend subscribing to his YouTube channel.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
SNES and Genesis in my opinion are rated the same.
They both had their amazing games and I have fond memories of both at their peak.

Sonic, Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong Country back in the day

wouldn't have been possible without them both.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Is a genesis a mega drive in the u.k?

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

What's a mega drive? Is it made by Sega?

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Yes, the Genesis is the Megadrive in the uk. I still have mine, works perfectly. Although I do use an emulator these days. Some Thunderforce 3 on my 52' every once in awhile takes me back to the old days.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamOver

Really? I learned something new today. They called it the Mega Drive, I wonder why?

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

I happens every so often. Not sure why either. Probably something to do with name copyright, or other stupid Bs.
Here is a little info
Mega Drive / Genesis

While products like these aside, it's particularly stupid (and confusing) when important products, like Medicines have different names around the world.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
sega megadrive(genesis) was the best, still got mine with a bunch of games and the menacer gun....somewhere in a box.
sonic v mario...sonic wins clearly...well that is until 3D changed it all.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

I played pretty much all the games this guy in his vids rants about. And man let me tell you some of those old school games I did throw the controller at the wall, a few times. And some of them the only reason they were so freaking hard was because they were so crappy made and the level design or the controls were so sh*ty that it was almost imposible to play them and not get frustrated by it.

Two of my favorite games from back in the day, played these games to death back then.

Be warned the guy likes to use potty words.
Battletoads.

Ninja Gaiden.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
SNES, rather Nintendo, stayed true to its core since start. They always make fun playable games thats last a long time and for entire family and different age groups.

Sega on the other hand was too high tech for its time... they made so many things including wireless controller, Compact disk games, games with picture videos.. sadly they made to many systems in too little time...

Dreamcast was one of the best systems.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Dude, I've calmed down over the years but I've thrown a controller, or two, or a lot, in my day. The NES days were no different than my Sega Dreamcast days. Football games pissed me off more than any of game I've played. There's is just something about them that makes my blood boil. How did he not catch that!?!?!?!!? FU!!!!!1

Hell I remember when I was a kid, it was 4th of the July and my family was getting ready to head over to my aunts house for a BBQ so I decided to play some Mike Tyson's Punch Out. Well, I somehow lost to this guy,

Losing to this mofo caused me to kick a huge hole into my living room wall! Who loses to that guy? I did, so I made a hole

I love Ninja Gaiden & played the hell outta those games, but I don't remember playing BattleToads. I know it was popular game but just not in my town when I was growing up.
edit on 4-9-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Oh man that was not even the worse, on the older consoles especially the NES, remember when the cartridges used to get dust in them, or used to overheat if you played to long. The games pissed you off, but when you almost beat a game and then the cartridge goes and breaks on you and you get a choppy screen or blank screen, then it really really pissed you off and made you want to throw the entire system at a wall.

I used to blow into the cartridges till my cheeks hurt. And if that did not work then I used to use a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol to clean the connecting pins, that or open up the cartridge and clean it, or you could wiggle the cartridge while in the system till it got a connection and started working right, and even then it seemed that it was just a matter of time before it broke down again.

This chick has a vid on what NES and old school console gamers had to go through just to play those games.

Oh and Ninja Gaiden was a pain in the ass, the guy is not exaggerating on how frustrating that game was, you literally had to die and replay the level till you knew were everything was and it was basically a one shot run through each level, and in some places you just had to get lucky to get past them.

And Battletoads, was one of the best games back then, me and my friends actually beat it with 2 players. And ya, you had to watch were your teammate was on the screen the whole time, and even know what he was going to do, or chances were that you would get killed by him more often the you would get killed by the enemies in the game, it is one of the most frustrating games ever made.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Yeah man, I forgot about all the times you get somewhere in a game and then all sudden it freezes! And the NES games were a pain the ass because as you mention, the whole dust thing. You know what worked for me just about everytime I needed to dust a game? I would the game under my tee shirt and blow into it. I dunno why but that worked like a mofo.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

I do believe its called "Functional Intermittency"
Or at least according to that chick in that vid I linked, that's what it is. A fancy name and way for saying the freaking thing likes to break, freeze and go all blocky and liney on you every once in a while. I like it! that chick is brilliant! because that is exactly what it was.

The freaking things never broke down completely and with cartridges those things can last a long time, unlike CD or DVD that they used in the latter consoles, or today's consoles. Those cartridge games lasted a long time and could take some abuse, but every once in a while it just up and stopped and froze on you before it started working again or you had to blow on it to clear the dust.

I did that to "the shirt thing" it worked. In fact only if you left your system on for days and the thing was overheating, then all the other problems the NES console had was just basically that dust/dirt collected into connecting pins on the cartridge, or in the system. They even had cleaning kits, I remember I even had one, but it never really worked all that well, and if you striped the connecting pins or if it got damaged to much then the game would not work at all because it would not register when you install it into the system no matter how much you cleaned it.

Functional Intermittency. Oh ya.
Translation ---> Has a tendency to make you want to throw it at a wall once in a while.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I soo wish my internet connection was being crappy! From reading the previous comments these videos seems really good! In the mean time i'm gonna subscribe to this guy to watch some of the videos later.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I was like 14 when both came out. That meant I relied on my parents at Christmas or my birthday to get me one. I really wanted a Super Nintendo because I had an NES and felt brand/character loyalty. Well, a few days before my birthday, my mom saw an ad in the classifieds for a Genesis with several games for $50. An old man down the road from us had suffered a mild stroke and his wife bought the system for him after reading an article about how playing video games could help redevelop coordination in stroke victims. He tried playing a couple of games, didn't care much for it, and told her to just sell it to someone. Not to sound ungrateful, I really appreciated getting a new system, but not having ever played the SEGA Master System I was somewhat disappointed when I opened the gift and it wasn't an SNES.

I got Madden 92, Sonic, Golden Axe 2, and Arnold Palmer Golf with the system. I was immediately addicted to Madden. I enjoyed the system for the most part, but was starting to wish I had an SNES instead... until Mortal Kombat came out. My best friend and I saw some Saturday morning video game show one day where they revealed ABACABB, the secret sequence to unlock blood and fatalities on the Genesis version of MK. Needless to say, what little cash we both had from our various get rich quick in middle of nowhere rural New Mexico was pooled and we bought the game that day from Kmart. From that point on, the Genesis experienced a golden age of sorts, Phantasy Star IV, Art of Fighting, more Sonics, Virtuaracing, Etc. a couple of years later I had the purely dumb luck to be in the right place at the right time and was able to buy a SEGA CD, 32X, and a ton of games from a business that was liquidating their entire store.

I didn't get my SNES until the early 2000s.
when I did buy one it was kind of bittersweet. A lot of the games I had wanted to play way back when just didn't hold the same interest anymore because they had relied on graphics and wow factors then which had long since been surpassed in gaming. I did, however, buy a dozen or so titles like SMW, DK Country, Chronotrigger, Super Metroid, and the like. I think Nintendo does amazing in house development... But they really struggle in getting the most out of third party developers.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

rarely played snes, but I do have good memories with sega genesis.
Sonic the hedgehog kinda was the childhood thing.

But from what i understood, both consoles were on part since snes came up with Final Fantasy 6 (FF3 back then)

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I remember getting the sega genesis for christmas one morning. I still remember the box and opening it like it was yesterday. I also remember that my dad and uncle started playing Sonic 2 and having the time of their lives while i sat on the floor behind them, as if they forgot about me.

My dad and i would record video output of us playing on VHS for some reason. It was our thing to play together. Years later, we got the SNES and that became more of my mom and I's thing. In the end when i wanted fast paced action type gameplay, Sega would not disappoint with games like sonic, etc When i wanted to sit down and have a long adventure, SNES was the way to go, with games like zelda, mario.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join