It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does it mean to "wake up"?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Too many times I have seen on ATS where people yell at me to WAKE UP! Whenever I try to get to the bottom of this philosophy people end up yelling at me, "stop asking soooo many useless questions!"

It's an alarming contradiction that I run in to too many times on this website. What does it mean to wake up?

Does it mean that I have to believe in conspiracies? Does it mean that I have to vote for Ron Paul? Does it mean that I need to post 24/7 onto the UFO section even if my images are close up shots of raindrops and I know it! Does it mean that I have to believe in the 9/11 conspiracy?

Well, the problem with waking up is that I DON'T believe in or do any of these things!

I don't believe in many of the conspiracies here as most of them are out of context connections that have nothing to do with the original topic.
I don't like Ron Paul (obviously)
I believe that 95% of UFO sightings are fakes or frauds and the rest are top secret military projects
I don't believe 9/11 was an inside job, but I do have some questions about the day.

Is the term, "wake up" just a subliminal term concocted by the conspiracy community to try and coerce people into thinking like them?

Usually when I see a post on one of my threads with someone telling me to wake up I just ignore it. I see that this person really has no substance and cannot argue about the topic that I posted about. Or that he is extremely upset that I am a genuine right-winger. If someone has a complete out of this world philosophy (like that he is a shiny unicorn from another dimension) I ignore it.

Do these sad people consider themselves "open-minded" or whatever the heck, "wake up" means?

I came to this site as a conspiracy theorist and I still read all the interesting conspiracy material. However, now I am aware that a lot of it is conjuncture or half-truths. I have read some that are completely made up lies. (this happens a lot in politics) I am a skeptic of conspiracies. But does this mean that I am "asleep?"

If the purpose of this site is to deny ignorance then why shun the skeptics? Why cast them out or personally insult them when they dare question your "silly" conspiracy?

If waking up means to believe in half the things on this website then consider me asleep. But again, not really sure what that means....

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

It means stop believing what people think or tell you.

And then being awake means that you are able to see the world as it is and can think solely on your own.
you don't have to depend on other people to make your decisions. Because your smart enough to not follow the leader.

If you are asleep you will believe what everyone says like a pawn. Believe elections are fun and trustworthy. And get stuck in a box with all of the other sleeping Susana in the world.

Make sense?

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
To "Wake Up" means to awaken from one's slumber and think for oneself.
To question is good - But in the end it is better to find the answer to one's own questions
IE To find your own proof
imo

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Easier definition.

Awake: Able to make complex decisions on your own. Come up with your own conclusions.

Asleep: Relies on what they read to make complex decisions. Relies on other peoples conclusions.
Usually cares highly of what other people think. Often enraging them.
edit on 1-9-2012 by TheCaucasianAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Shhh!
I'm trying to sleep here

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCaucasianAmerican

but elections are fun. I've worked on one

You just told me that elections aren't fun (I guess you meant for the losers) and if I was easily brainwashed I might have believed you and you would have changed my life in a direction where its not going now, but because I have experienced small time politics I know what you are telling me is false information.

So if I believed you would that mean I am waking up? No, it would mean that I was allowing someone to manipulate a life choice I could make. To participate in politics or not. If I never did it, then I wouldn't know how much fun and rewarding working on a campaign could be.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

A couple posts down (from your OP) has a good definition of 'Wake Up'. I, from seeing your OP, don't see you as 'Asleep' though. I see that you are at least open minded enough to have questions, of 9-11, for example. Those Truly ASLEEP do NOT even question the 'story' we were given to the events of that day and who did the deeds. To even consider looking at conspiracy posts is, in my mind, something that those who are indeed 'Awake' would do.
Being asleep is like my Dad. I even mention a Question about 9-11, he rolls his eyes and ignores anything further I have to say. Even Blatant stuff like when the announcer told of Building 7 falling 20 Minutes BEFORE it actually did, I thought he would consider to be odd. But no...... I did however get him to realize the ChemTrails are not right and NOT a normal 'Extended ConTrail'. Happy about that......
Questioning events is GOOD and something that an AWAKE person would do. Ignore the bashing from those who only want you to bend to their point of view... Later, Syx.
edit on 1-9-2012 by SyxDaliGee because: fixed a paragraph

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
When someone says "Wake up!" they feel they are offering you enlightenment that they have achieved, but you have not. They desire you to believe exactly as they do. If you don't, then you are a "sheeple." The only problem is that those who shout "Wake Up!" the loudest are usually delusional. They want you to believe in nefarious Chemtrails or the fact that Queen Elizabeth is a reptilian or that the Masons are a secret cult or that aliens are in the White House basement.

When I see the usual "Wake Up!" demands that pretty well assures me that whatever comes next can be easily dismissed.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Hmm I don't vote nor care to vote. That's my decision.

But look at my second post. I think you already answered all of your questions you have asked.

You ask a question I told the answer. The way you take that answer is if your asleep or awake. And again I think you answered that question on your own. This isn't a political debate so don't even bring that up.

My work here is done. If you want to keep believing what you do, then go right ahead. That's your own choice to keep you in the dark. But if you ever change your mind then we will be here with open arms to accept you.

That is all.
Goodbye

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCaucasianAmerican
Easier definition.

Asleep:

1. Relies on what they read to make complex decisions.
2. Relies on other peoples conclusions.
3. Usually cares highly of what other people think.

1. "You can't believe everything on the internet." I agree with that, but there is a limit. You can use fact checking sources, approved sources, scientific publications and polls as long as you understand who wrote it or who did the fact checking. But most people just think posting independent unverifiable sources is better....

2. So your opinion is better than a person holding a Phd in whatever subject you are talking about? I usually look at both sides of the issue or topic. Get both for and against arguments. Is this not other people's conclusions?

3. Not really. Some people do take advantage of the star and flag system here to push their own agenda, but I have written some really good posts and they receive hardly any stars and flags. People make fun of me for that as well, because I think differently than the majority here on ATS. If I need to wake up, wouldn't people be all over my silly threads trying to understand my philosophy and make me "wake up"?

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCaucasianAmerican

It means stop believing what people think or tell you.

And then being awake means that you are able to see the world as it is and can think solely on your own.
you don't have to depend on other people to make your decisions. Because your smart enough to not follow the leader.

If you are asleep you will believe what everyone says like a pawn. Believe elections are fun and trustworthy. And get stuck in a box with all of the other sleeping Susana in the world.

Make sense?

Very well put

Edit: It also means dont be fooled by threads designed to mock those who say "wake up"
edit on 1-9-2012 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
When someone says "Wake up!" they feel they are offering you enlightenment that they have achieved, but you have not. They desire you to believe exactly as they do. If you don't, then you are a "sheeple." The only problem is that those who shout "Wake Up!" the loudest are usually delusional. They want you to believe in nefarious Chemtrails or the fact that Queen Elizabeth is a reptilian or that the Masons are a secret cult or that aliens are in the White House basement.

When I see the usual "Wake Up!" demands that pretty well assures me that whatever comes next can be easily dismissed.

I know we think a lot a like schuyler. I choose to agree with you here. It's basically the conspiracy theorists want me to be a conspiracy theorist.

aliens are in the White House basement.

Aren't they?

edit on 1-9-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

PLEASE...FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT WAKE UP!
You have to understand something about the ats.

85.3% of the members on ats are sheeple minded people who really don’t understand that...you’re allowed to use your brain, and come up with your own conclusion on what info you decide to believe, or disbelieve.

Its one thing to believe and follow the herder as they do, but it is obliviously catastrophic to actually follow and listen and learn from a sheeple.
Be your self buddy, don’t worry about what they say...please, your one of the few that still has a brain.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by LastProphet527

Be your self buddy, don’t worry about what they say...please, your one of the few that still has a brain.

That's a change coming from you. I think we fundamentally disagree on almost everything. Thanks

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
"Waking up" means 10 different things to 10 different people.

These forums deal with a wide range of topics. Saying 'wake up' in a conspiracy forum is likely to mean 'be aware of what the powers-that-be are trying to fool you about'. Saying 'wake up' in a religious forum is likely to mean 'enlighten yourself - become one with God, etc.' Saying 'wake up' in a discussion involving hypnosis is likely to mean 'wake up'.

Your mom screaming 'wake up' in the morning is likely to mean - well, you get the idea.

This is a world-wide forum (the internet) and we don't all speak the same language. My english is not always your english.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

When someone tells you to “wake up” and then refuses to elaborate they really mean “I don’t like your answer, I disagree with your position, and I’m done discussing the matter with you”; they’re blowing you off!!

You know as well as I do that people like to have a thread full of like-minded participants so they can make cute remarks and bash whatever it is they share a dislike for. When you come along and rain on their parade they begin the ad hominem attacks in an obvious attempt marginalizing your opinion and ultimately making you go away!

By the way.....S&F!

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by kalunom
Saying 'wake up' in a conspiracy forum is likely to mean 'be aware of what the powers-that-be are trying to fool you about'.

I agreed with a lot of what you said. But...

What if the powers that be want you to think they are out to fool you?

edit on 1-9-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

You know I like messing with any system/hierarchy.

I like our government structure because its just as corrupt and twisted as I am!

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Dang we really are in the matrix. Haha wow.

They are unaware of what the system really is. But will often sacrifice their lives to protect it.

edit on 1-9-2012 by TheCaucasianAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
To look beyond all that youv'e been taught,to re-evaluate what you believe,to consider a different perspective,to accept that what we know now will be different tomorrow,to live to your potential and finally think for yourself

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join