It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

September, 2014... Prognosis. A Writing Contest [2014WC][WINNERS announced}

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Hi everyone,

I asked that my story "A Mother's Love" be removed, and Masqua was kind enough to do so.

The story went something like this....in the brave new world, my son and I are caught poaching and are to be executed in a most grisly fashion. But I take things in my own hands and kill my son before "they" can get to him.

AFter reflecting on the story, I decided it wasn't something I wanted to put out there for the world to see. It was too dark and too disturbing. So that was why I requested it be removed.

Just wanted to clear things up! Happy Tuesday!

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

It's not like you to remove an entry anyway.

Note: this in no way relates to smyleegrl's removed story

I really hate removing any thread from the writing forums, contest or not, but I have done so in the past. It's all about the content and the T&C's, which I really do believe make ATS a better place overall.

Yes... it's a form of censorship which limits the creative license of artists and that's never a perfect world in my mind. In the wider scope of things, though, there are other websites which have zero restrictions on content and they will have to be the alternative for material that gets tangled up in the ATS rules and regs. I do try, however, to be as fair as I can.

If a [snip] here and there can save a story, I'd do it in an instant, but if I need to edit entire paragraphs, then the only recourse is to 404 the story and send it back to the author for a re-write.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Yes... it's a form of censorship which limits the creative license of artists and that's never a perfect world in my mind. In the wider scope of things, though, there are other websites which have zero restrictions on content and they will have to be the alternative for material that gets tangled up in the ATS rules and regs. I do try, however, to be as fair as I can.

If a [snip] here and there can save a story, I'd do it in an instant, but if I need to edit entire paragraphs, then the only recourse is to 404 the story and send it back to the author for a re-write.

My thoughts is that this restriction has the opposite effect. Rather than being seen as a form of censorship, I see it as a way to challenge yourself further as a writer. If there are no go zones, and let's face it they are pretty clear, even here in the SS Forum, it gives you a chance to be more intelligent and creative in getting the same point across. Just my 2c.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Here is the next instalment in my story

PART 4

Flag it if you like it!

Edit: My wife recently gave birth to my daughter and I posted a couple of pics if any of my ATS family would like to see. Here is that link: Baby Pics
edit on 18-9-2012 by coven83 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Aw, hun, tis okay. Sometimes writing gets the best of us. As much as I wanted to read your story, I understand why it didn't stay up. My advice?

Don't write from personal experience or situations. Remain detached from your characters. Make them characters, with a few attributes of yourself, but don't write so close to home. Change details enough to distance yourself from your words.

One of the worst failings of a upcoming professional writer is to make it too personal. Often, people tend to write about their own lives, and try to relate them into a story. Big mistake. You, as a writer, must remain detached from your story. It's a rule. See it objectively, not personal.

Given what I've gathered what the story was about, it may have garnered the winning flags. I'll never know. Sometimes, the most honest and heartfelt stories are the ones that cut deep and close to home.

All I can say is keep writing. I'll do the same.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

I have sent you a private message on "How To Enter a short story new thread"
Thank you Zazz. I will follow the rules as they were written.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
And the madness continues. Part 5 of my story is up:

PART 5

More to come tomorrow.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
My entry into the contest. I admit, I took it in a different direction then I think Masqua intended...But, I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised.

The Sweetest Memory ( A look back )[2014WC]

Enjoy

edit on 21-9-2012 by DirtyLiberalHippie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
We now approach the end. I will attempt to keep it to two more parts.....how will it end?

PART 6

Thank you all for reading, I hope you enjoy!

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Part 7 is up now. I apologise for seemingly taking over the contest board this month. I really did try to keep it short, but the story wanted to be written the way it wanted.

PART 7

Part 8 will be the conclusion and should be up within the next day or two. I may lose my Internet on the 28th so I might be away for a while. Thank you Masqua for the opportunity to share my writing and thanks to all of you who took the time to read it. I hope you enjoyed.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
And now the conclusion to my story.

PART 8; The Conclusion

And I'm spent! Thank you all for reading, I hope it was worth the time it took. Looking forward to next month.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
The winners of the September writing contest are:

1st (a tie)

coven83
Unit Two-Four

SLAYER69
The Earth Rumbles

2nd

beezzer
The Walker

3rd

smyleegrl
Relief

Congratulations and thanks to all for the miles of smiles.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Congratulations Coven your tale was truly epic. Just the amount of effort you put in itself qualifies you for first place (almost to the point I'm left waiting for the abridged version; but the story itself was also A grade and flags aside I can't think of a more deserving winner. Slayer job well done also. Truly a unique perspective on the this months topic.

Big shout out to the runners up as well.
edit on 1/10/2012 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Congrats to all the winners and thanks to everyone who entered. There's some wonderful writing talent here on ATS!

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Congrats to all the winners, top notch work!

Everyone's entries were a pleasure to read, so keep writing.

Best of luck to all in the next contest!

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Congrats to everyone!

Wow!

What a contest!

*applause*

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Big Congrats!!! Awesome indeed!

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Thank you everyone. And to 1little, as Im sure you know if your doing something you love it dosent feel like work. It did feel as if I gave every free moment of my time to the writing and editing of the story, just ask my wife! lol. And im sure it is evident from my horrible editing that those free moments were few and far between.

I also would like to congratulate the winners, there was some unbelievable writing this month. Also just have to throw out a "winner" in my mind. 'To Reset the Clock'....just wow. An idea I may build off of in the future with your blessing.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Congrats, Coven and Slayer! You too, Beezer and smyleegrl. What a great effort. Coven, you really outdid yourself on this one. Hopefully, your wife forgives your time away from the family. (There really are much worse ways that you could spend your time.)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Congratulations to the winners!

There were so many amazing stories to choose from. I found myself flagging quite a few of them!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join