It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Birds hold 'funerals' for dead

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
This does not surprise me at all. Anyone who has worked with birds knows they are extremely intelligent, some with similar levels of intelligence seen in a 6 year old child. African Grey's are the standout species, who can be taught to understand basic language not just mimic. The studies done with Alex have proven this well. Even smaller birds like cockatiels can show some language understanding though. A cute little case is i know a lady that has a cockatiel. Her husband doesn't like the cockatiel so she has called him an ass many times. She heard the bird one day saying that word. She went in to check on the bird and it was pecking her husbands face in a picture. If these birds can learn even a few words of our language then I don't think it is a stretch that they are much smarter then we give them credit for.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I know someone who helps look after rescue rabbits. She keeps them in neutered pairs so that they have companions and they are clearly happier when they have company of their own kind. But she has had cases were one of the rabbits will pass away and the rabbit left by itself will become depressed and often even refuse to eat and drink because of the loss of their friend. She then has to try her hardest to perk up the rabbit and help them get through their depression. But sometimes the other rabbit soon passes away, from what we think must be a broken heart.
edit on 10-9-2012 by LittleEskimo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Crows are smart and I swear they have a sense of humor too. There used to be a big oak tree near my bedroom window that crows would hang out in and every morning my cat would be freaking out at the window and I swear those crows were teasing him! Every single time I'd walk over the crows would disperse but as soon as I walked away again they would be right back there at the window making my cat crazy.
I could have sworn they got their kicks teasing that cat and they were out there saying "nah nah you can't get me!!"

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TRiPWiRE

Humans can be such monsters! I always have preferred the company of animals

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Ducks do this too.

My father lives in a 55+ community in Ft. Lauderdale, with the canals all around the place, the ducks are everywhere as well. My dad has a family of 3 that he feeds regularly and have been hanging around his place for a few years. Recently, not one of my dad's 'regulars', but another duck was hit in the street, my dad picked it up and brought it to his backyard to figure out what he should do with it, (it was definitely deceased at that point).

Didn't take long for several other ducks to come over and stand around the body. No pecking at it, just looking and standing around, moving here and there. I'll have to ask him how long they hung around for.

Animals are conscious creatures, obviously very capable of making bonds with most other species, I'm surprised it's a surprise that they observe the dead or mourn loss like any other conscious being.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ErroneousDylan

i confess, i did not read the whole thread. but i did want to add in case no one else did, that when the biblical cain murdered abel, islam teaches that a raven was sent to show cain what to do, as up to that point there had never been death.

But his soul allowed him to slay his brother, and he slew him, and in the morning he was of those who lose. And God sent a crow to scratch in the earth and show him how he might hide his brother's shame [bury his naked corpse], he said, "Alas, for me! Am I too helpless to become like this crow and hide my brother's shame?"
Qu'ran 4:27-31

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
birds have courts of law too. Especially crows there are many documented cases. The accused will stand in the center of a circle and offer no resistance as birds will step into the circle and caw their heads off about whatever it is they talk about. After all have had their say if the accues is found guilty then they all march inward and peck it to death.Crow Courts
edit on 12-2-2013 by Bilky because: (no reason given)

I see now that this has been covered, oh well,
edit on 12-2-2013 by Bilky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
"You should know humans are the only organism that can exhibit psychopathy,narcissism and sociopathy"

You have not met my sister's cat. If she were human, the apocalypse would have been looong over by now.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join