Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by neo96
The Leftists next week will swoon over the oratory skills emitting from the pie-holes of the idiots speaking of everything but;
the economy, unemployment, GDP, consumer confidence, the war in Afghanistan, Obama's kill-list, raising taxes, cost of food increases, cost of gas
increases, Hurricane Issac, drones in AMerican skies, UN tax decrees, ACA, ad nauseum.
1) The war in Afganistan is the fault of the GOP and all the Americans who got upset when 9/11 happened. Had you guys been paying attention and not
felt bad about it, you wouldn't have that war now. At this point, its a mess and its hard to pull out of. That being said, I'm not sure our
continued presence there is helpful.
2) The biggest problem with this is the whole "killing American citizens without a trial via air strike" thing. That being said, I can understand
why sometimes its necessary, but it is still questionable.
3) Raising taxes? Really? The US has a very low tax rate, and raising taxes isn't really going to hurt anything. Especially raising taxes on the
wealthy. What really needs to be done, though, is tax reform - remove all these exceptions. Personal income tax should be purely by income, not by
source, and it should be pretty absolute - maybe a tax deduction for a single child, and that's it. Make it simpler, make it easy, and hike taxes on
people who make money off of not working - there's no reason that capital gains should be taxed differently from normal income, as in reality they do
LESS to contribute to the economy.
4) The cost of food going up is not Obama's responsibility. Part of the problem is the fact that people in Iowa want government handouts for growing
corn for ethanol, and killing those subsidies will help slightly... but not overly so. The real cause is mostly the fact that oil is going up in
price, and that's because there is less of it (and it is more difficult to extract) every year, though removing oil subsidies would help very
slightly as well.
5) The price of oil is entirely out of Obama's hands. There is absolutely nothing anyone can do to lower the price of oil that is an even remotely
rational thing to do. Drive an electric car if it bothers you. Can't afford one? Too bad.
6) Hurricane Isaac is more the fault of everyone who refuses to do anything about global warming, and those who refuse to not rebuild New Orleans and
similar areas, than anything else. Even then, it is difficult to attribute single weather conditions to anything. Really, I don't see what's
complain-worthy there. Hurricanes hit every year.
7) Drones are useful for a wide variety of purposes and will be in American skies no matter what. Whining about the progess of technology is
pointless. Yes, they allow more observation of everything. But yes, that is inevitable. Besides, we have CCTV cameras everywhere anyway, not to
mention satellites; drones will make no negative difference on our privacy.
8) The UN can say whatever it wants, but it is up to the member nations to listen or not listen. That is part of why the UN is pretty useless; it has
little enforcement capability.
9) I have no idea which ACA you're referring to there.
Seriously, though, the Republicans are inarguably the "bad guys" at this point. They are against freedom of religion, they are against employers
having to pay fair wages, they are free market fundamentalists, they are against abortion and contraception, they are against freedom of speech
against the government (or more precisely, against them), they are against government openness...
The real problem is that people assume that if the Republicans are the "bad guys", the Democrats must be the "good guys". They are just everyone
else. Some of them are good, some of them are bad. But the Republicans are pretty much uniformly bad news, either outright evil or deeply incompetent