It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican voting restrictions in Ohio blocked by judge

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

But I don't get it, who is getting cheated,

The people who can't vote during the work day and would have been blocked from doing early voting in the evening by this law. They stopped early voting in the evening in Democratic districts without taking it away from Republican districts. If that isn't cheating people I don't know what is.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix

Every state passing voter ID has offered FREE ID including Georgia, so no its not a poll tax as some claim.

Of course you may have to pay for a new birth certificate if you have misplaced it to get the free ID. So, no you don't have to pay for an ID, but you have to have proper documents that often cost money.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

You're right. I also wanted to mention that many black churches help voters get to the polls after church on the Sunday before election day. That way, they can all get rides to the polls. This was another segment of the population that this law would have greatly affected.

It's called Souls to the Polls

During the 2008 presidential elections, many African-American churches took advantage of early voting to promote ‘take your souls to the polls’—programs that encouraged voting by taking church members directly from Sunday services to the polls.

After record voter turnouts in the 2008 election, 34 states have introduced legislation to limit voting. In Ohio, H.B. 194 seeks to cut the state’s early voting period by more than half, and to prohibit voting on the last Sunday before Election Day.

Anyone who thinks this isn't targeting certain segments of the population has blinders on.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix

Every state passing voter ID has offered FREE ID including Georgia, so no its not a poll tax as some claim.

Ohio's legislature passed change removing early voting across the state. By federal law it had to continue offering early voting to active military members.

The shills are using the military vote as smokescreen to make their claims never acknowledging Ohio legislature was following federal voting requirements.

So, if I don't have a drivers license and I don't own a car, which of those states is going to pay for my 90 mile taxi ride to the DMV and back? Much less, the expense of obtaining supporting documentation needed in order to get the ID.

Unless these states you speak of are going to arrive at your home and make the ID right there on your front porch, then they have not provided a free ID, get it?

edit on 1-9-2012 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by KeliOnyx
reply to post by Phoenix

Actually yes it is. Because the cost of the ID in many cases is irrelevant, you have to include the costs of getting the supporting documentation to get said ID. So tell me just how screwed the woman that has a different name on SS card, and Birth Certificate is. That is even if you know exactly where it is you were born, or have a Birth Certificate at all. The fact is it is not really all that difficult to get by in life without a certified ID because so many that have one assume every one has a drivers license.

So what you are saying is that people should be allowed to vote without being able to prove citizenship, because that's a burden.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by KeliOnyx

Originally posted by KeliOnyx
Because the cost of the ID in many cases is irrelevant, you have to include the costs of getting the supporting documentation to get said ID.

Plus the cost of getting to the approved state building to get an ID. Not everyone can jump in their car (that they don't own) and fill it up with gas (with money they don't have) and take a day off work to toodle on over the the state capital or other major city.

Last I checked it is people organizing getting people registered. So that argument is null and void, they already provide transportation as part of their voter registration methods.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah65
My question for those that are defending the change of voting procedures and registration a couple of months before election is two fold. If this WAS a problem...why not make the change two years ago? Why wait till this close to the election? And the second ...After you hear that the people most effected by these changes, the poor, elderly, minority, etc...those that generally vote opposite of the people making these laws....how does that make you feel? Can you close your eyes and ears and pretend it's NOT about removing the competition from the polls? Can you look away and pretend it's not a deliberate manipulation of laws to exclude "the other side of the coin"?

Seriously, I am asking. I am for neither main party, I have been a registered voter for years so these laws have absolutely no effect on me or my family...but...I can see those that it DOES effect and it does not take the deductive reasoning of Sherlock Holmes to see to who's advantage these laws work. Pretend it is not an attempt to disenfranchise legal citizens all you like...when the truth is..the excuses being used are smokescreens...they knew EXACTLY who they were attempting to keep away and it WAS NOT the illegal immigrants...it was the citizens that would vote against them and thus make a fair election of the general people's opinions...

Can't have that now can we?

Look, if your conscience doesn't scream at you about how wrong doing this just a few months in front of an election is...don't worry about it...If you do not know fair from unfair and right from wrong...your answers won't matter anyway.

If They REALLY needed to do this, it should have been done years ago or AFTER the election...this was an obvious power grab and anyone with a brain knows it and it cannot be denied...well, I guess it can...but then we will laugh at them that do for being naive.

You mean the elderly that are more likely to be Republican?
blairrockefellerpoll.uark.edu...

With that said, Ohio is a special case. There were two things they did. One was remove early voting for all but the military. I support that. The second was sneaky, they took a vote on extending voting for certain districts, the Republican districts went up for vote first (on purpose I imagine) and it was passed by both R and D, next the Democrat districts went up for vote and the R voted no. Sneaky. I am glad they didn't get away with it.
edit on 2-9-2012 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join