It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican voting restrictions in Ohio blocked by judge

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Some of the most unbelievably biased voting restrictions in modern history have been temporarily blocked by a judge. I still can't believe this ever passed in the first place, and why the American people aren't revolting over such blatantly unconstitutional theft of their voting rights.

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
GOOD. This awesome news. Now me and the rest of Ohioans have the ability to vote 3 days early before the election.

The republican fascists plan on appealing the court ruling though.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
These restrictive voting and registration laws have been blocked in Ohio, Florida and Texas by the federal courts. Good! Access to voting should be equal for all citizens, but failing that, each state should treat ALL it's citizens equally.

But even with the law change, the registration restrictions in Florida had a HUGE impact on Democratic registration this year.

The new law shrinks from 10 days to 48 hours the time in which third-party groups must submit registration forms to supervisors and requires that each person who signs up voters be registered with the state or face fines up to $1,000.

The results? Republican registration is just about the same, but Democratic registration is extremely lowered. Now that the law has been overthrown, the Dems are in a scramble to register voters in the remaining time.

Romney will probably win Florida this year. Why? Because the GOP cheated hundreds of thousands of voters out of their opportunity to register.

I don't mean to make this about Florida, I just wanted to illustrate what the GOP is hoping to do to win this election.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Around here they give ya $5 and a piece of paper telling ya what to vote for. Gotta love it. Last time a bunch went to jail but they never learn.
edit on 1-9-2012 by mikellmikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by CB328

F&S for the OP!

This is good news indeed. We just got a similar ruling from the federal courts here in Texas with respect to ongoing attempts by our republican controlled state legislature to enact new voter ID laws prior to the November election.

This is a good thing because these new laws are nothing more than a solution in search of a problem that doesn't exist and are actually intended to do nothing more than suppress the vote. Evidence of actual "in-person" voter fraud is so infinitesimally small that even if all the known cases over the past 10 yrs. were thrown together into one individual political contest, I doubt it would be enough to sway the election. Furthermore, I believe that in reality these new voter ID laws and reduction in early voting days are nothing more than a smoke screen for the real widespread voter fraud that is being orchestrated across this nation within the electronic voting and counting system.

While I'll admit that IMO, the intelligence level of the typical TP/GOP republican is only slightly higher than that of a box of rocks, (I do however find them to be quite devious in nature) I find it hard to accept that their elected representatives are naive enough to believe that these new laws will hold up to constitutional scrutiny in the long run. Therefore, IMO there must be an underlying anterior motive to explain their actions.

I remember when Texas was a blue state and I agree that it was probably voter fraud that changed it to red. Problem is, it wasn't the kind of "in-person" voter fraud that these new laws are supposedly intended to eliminate, ha ha.

I'm convinced that the real voter fraud is taking place within the electronic voting machine system, including those electronic scanning machines that are used to record and count paper ballots. This is how they steal our elections and to my knowledge, there is very little being done to correct this "problem," or should I say, the real "voter fraud."

Don't be fooled into thinking that we've just won the voter fraud issue. We only won the part they intended for us to win while their real goal of keeping us occupied with these issues of voter suppression has kept us side tracked and prevented us from taking action to stop the real voter machine fraud being used to control the actual outcome of our elections.

I believe that in 2008, the only reason we were able to elect President Obama was due to the fact that the number of Obama supporters overwhelmed the fraud capacity programed into the machines. In other words, they, (the GOP) weren't expecting those kind of numbers to come out in favor of Obama. Anyone who would program fraud into the machines would have to keep the vote switching to a minimal level, (in order to evade detection) while just high enough to sway the election in their favor. I think the actual support for Obama was greater than the programers expected and this is why we won. I wouldn't expect them to make the same mistake again.

You know the old saying from Texas & Tennessee; "Fool me once..... Shame on..... Shame on you..... Fool me, you cain't get fooled again."

edit on 1-9-2012 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
But I don't get it, who is getting cheated, illegals trying to get register or regular citizens trying to be register.

Why I ask? I am not trying to be controversial but Here in Ga, I am a register voter since I move here in 96, I never have any problem with elections and I don't have to register every time elections comes, my name is always and has been active since the day I register for the first time.

Perhaps don't understand what all this is about.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by CB328

The only people who are revolting is the elite, they are truely revolting and disgusting. As for civil unrest or civil war, well thats up to us as a whole. We have a choice, accept the criminals as our leaders and let them do what they want with us or we remove them by force and steing em up.

The choice is simple, but as long as people have poisoned food on their plates they are happy, go figure the moronic behaviour of sheeple.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
But I don't get it, who is getting cheated, illegals trying to get register or regular citizens trying to be register.

Why I ask? I am not trying to be controversial but Here in Ga, I am a register voter since I move here in 96, I never have any problem with elections and I don't have to register every time elections comes, my name is always and has been active since the day I register for the first time.

Conservatives feel they're cheated, because, no matter what they say the reason they are against it (registering illegals, people voting twice, whatever), the real (and generally historical) reason is the push to register legal minorities very close to election day (or the day of), who then end up voting democratic. Conservative dislike this.

Here in GA, where i live, i know that, not necessarily the push to register early, but the ID laws, which seek to prevent a lot of elderly and minorities (who don't have state IDs) under the guise of voter ID fraud.

And then there is the whole early voting deal, which, some people (like me), are absolutely unable to go to the polls on some election days, as our 12-14 hour day jobs will not let us leave--for anything. And the push to slash the number of days one can early vote prevents our voice from being heard.

edit on 1-9-2012 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I'll tell you who gets screwed, "everybody!" Here's how;

To impose a cost on voting is considered to be a "poll tax" under the U.S. Constitution and requiring voters to produce a voter ID costs them money. For instance, where I live it's 45 miles to the nearest DMV where I can get a government approved ID suitable for voting under the new statutes. That's a 90 mile road trip plus the cost of obtaining the ID from the state.

Now if you're talking about having the government pick up these costs and provide the required IDs at no expense to the voter, we may be talking about something that would indeed hold up to constitutional scrutiny but at what cost to the taxpayers? How often would these photo IDs need to be updated so that poll workers can identify the voter with his/her ID? What are the ongoing cost to the taxpayers?

Now for the most important question of all; How much "in-person" voter fraud is actually occurring in our elections and is it worth the anticipated cost of producing and maintaining photo IDs in order to eliminate it? Here's the answer to that question;

www.drudge.com...

Voter impersonation fraud, which could be prevented by the types of voter ID laws passed in Republican-led states the past few years, is virtually nonexistent, according to a new study. The investigative reporting project News21 sent public information requests to all 50 states and found 10 cases of alleged in-person voter fraud since 2000. Out of the 146 million registered voters in the U.S., that number represents one case of voter impersonation fraud for every 15 million potential voters.

www.motherjones.com...

The analysis of 2,068 reported fraud cases by News21, a Carnegie-Knight investigative reporting project, found 10 cases of alleged in-person voter impersonation since 2000.

www.rawstory.com...

“Voter fraud at the polls is an insignificant aspect of American elections,” said elections expert David Schultz, professor of public policy at Hamline University School of Business in St. Paul. “There is absolutely no evidence that (voter impersonation fraud) has affected the outcome of any election in the United States, at least any recent election in the United States.”

etc...etc...etc... There is no significant "in-person" voter fraud taking place in our elections! At least not enough to sway an election, much less enough to allocate millions, if not billions, of taxpayer dollars to produce voter IDs in an attempt to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

Voters Ids? I don't have a state approved Id, all I do when voting is give away either my drivers license or military ID as my husband is retired marine.

And this is Ga also, we just voted on local elections a few weeks ago and not specific ID was asked for, BTW I am Spanish and supposedly minority still not problems with voting, ever, been a register voter since 88.

edit on 1-9-2012 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Voters Ids? I don't have a state approved Id, all I do when voting is give away either my drivers license or military ID as my husband is retired marine.

And this is Ga also, we just voted on local elections a few weeks ago and not specific ID was asked for, BTW I am Spanish and supposedly minority still not problems with voting, ever, been a voter since 89.

Driver's license and military IDs are state approved/issued IDs.

The county i live in, i KNOW the people who head the polling places and i still have to show ID.
Of course, i live in probably the biggest conservative county in GA, soo...

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

Thanks, I see now what is all about, passing the cost of IDs to the people, I do not agree with this either.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Thanks for taking your time to explain, but you know I still do not understand how in this time and age people can go around without some type of ID specially when you have to show identification for almost anything you do, from health care to cash checks or credit card or bank cards use.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Citizens who become politically engaged for the
First time and New voters.

These laws were trying to create a precrime mentality.
Innocent voters are not guilty of the behaviors of
Evil doers.

edit on 1-9-2012 by thepresident because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

reply to post by Flatfish

Thanks, I see now what is all about, passing the cost of IDs to the people, I do not agree with this either.

Every state passing voter ID has offered FREE ID including Georgia, so no its not a poll tax as some claim.

Ohio's legislature passed change removing early voting across the state. By federal law it had to continue offering early voting to active military members.

The shills are using the military vote as smokescreen to make their claims never acknowledging Ohio legislature was following federal voting requirements.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix

Actually yes it is. Because the cost of the ID in many cases is irrelevant, you have to include the costs of getting the supporting documentation to get said ID. So tell me just how screwed the woman that has a different name on SS card, and Birth Certificate is. That is even if you know exactly where it is you were born, or have a Birth Certificate at all. The fact is it is not really all that difficult to get by in life without a certified ID because so many that have one assume every one has a drivers license.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Wow disappointing to see so many people buying into the left-right paradigm on here. As if Romney and Obama aren't both banker controlled.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

Originally posted by KeliOnyx
Because the cost of the ID in many cases is irrelevant, you have to include the costs of getting the supporting documentation to get said ID.

Plus the cost of getting to the approved state building to get an ID. Not everyone can jump in their car (that they don't own) and fill it up with gas (with money they don't have) and take a day off work to toodle on over the the state capital or other major city.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
My question for those that are defending the change of voting procedures and registration a couple of months before election is two fold. If this WAS a problem...why not make the change two years ago? Why wait till this close to the election? And the second ...After you hear that the people most effected by these changes, the poor, elderly, minority, etc...those that generally vote opposite of the people making these laws....how does that make you feel? Can you close your eyes and ears and pretend it's NOT about removing the competition from the polls? Can you look away and pretend it's not a deliberate manipulation of laws to exclude "the other side of the coin"?

Seriously, I am asking. I am for neither main party, I have been a registered voter for years so these laws have absolutely no effect on me or my family...but...I can see those that it DOES effect and it does not take the deductive reasoning of Sherlock Holmes to see to who's advantage these laws work. Pretend it is not an attempt to disenfranchise legal citizens all you like...when the truth is..the excuses being used are smokescreens...they knew EXACTLY who they were attempting to keep away and it WAS NOT the illegal immigrants...it was the citizens that would vote against them and thus make a fair election of the general people's opinions...

Can't have that now can we?

Look, if your conscience doesn't scream at you about how wrong doing this just a few months in front of an election is...don't worry about it...If you do not know fair from unfair and right from wrong...your answers won't matter anyway.

If They REALLY needed to do this, it should have been done years ago or AFTER the election...this was an obvious power grab and anyone with a brain knows it and it cannot be denied...well, I guess it can...but then we will laugh at them that do for being naive.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
It was ridiculous to try and pass a last-minute law to restrict early voting, especially eliminating weekends. That seemed to specifically target minority voters who rely on such services like "Souls to the Polls", held on the Sunday before election day.

The GOP tried to guise this as a 'cost-saving' measure, but they were still required to keep those polls open for the active duty military, so how did this save any money? It didn't.

Kudos to this judge. He took a stand to keep democracy in place.

“This court finds that plaintiffs have a constitutionally protected right to participate in the 2012 election -- and all elections -- on an equal basis with all Ohio voters.”
-- U.S. District Judge Peter Economus

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join