It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trying to snap out this funk

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I have just been in a really gloomy funk lately. I have like others been struggling financially but I have managed to keep my head above water. I take a dunk fom time to time but I am surviving and my children have all they need if not more then they need.

I hate to compare my life because I feel almost like a hypocrite to complain when I know that I could be so much worse.

But I have been in this funk for almost the intire summer. I have been searching and reading trying to find some sort of spiritual connection that clicks for me. I feel that I need one because looking at the world and humanity as a whole i can't imagine that this is all there is to life. We go thru all the pain and sorrow just to die at the end.

I know up until recent that is all I believed that death was like before I was born unaware nothingness.
And I was ok with that but now I find myself searching more and more for a point or meaning to it..

Can everyone please give me some suggestions of books or any other material that I could read that may in some way click for me. I have tried to read the bible but the language makes it difficult . Not to say I don't get it or understand the story but just reading it as a book it not the best read.

I have been listening to Alan watts , Terrance McKenna , watching a lot of videos on Kabbalah , I have even poked around David ickes , Wilcocks , and Wynn free.. I am open to everything and will keep searching until I find something that I feel I can believe in..

Thanks everyone

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
We live in a very difficult world and it is easy to get overwhelmed by it all. I do not follow any one particulr religion or path, but take what is good and inspiring from wherever I may find it and incorporate it into my life. I believe that we are more than just a physical body and that when we die, we go on to something different, something better.

May you find the ispiration that will give you peace. Hugs

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by navione

How about taking a break from the heaviness of those guys and systems that you mentioned and read some good fantasy fiction. I really like Orson Scott Card and his "Seventh Son" series. His "Ender's Game" series is epic!

His works are all based in spirituality but light and profound. IMHO.

When all else fails, just smile.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Thank you for the suggestions . I also wanted to mention I have read other things like when god whispers and things related to Christianity but nothing really sticks for me. I have never had a mystical or paranormal experience . I have never had that profound experience that so many claim to have before the point of waken up or being enlightened.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
This is not reading... but how about listening to some uplifting music

I've been listening to Lesiem cd's, the albums are Illumination & Auracle
The music really "moves" me. Now this may not be your music type....
But maybe you should take a break from the reading material and try something new and different
Just a thought

The project's music combines elements of rock, pop, electronica, New Age, enigmatic and ambient music, as well as Gregorian chant and other choral music

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by leolady

Music can really help!

Here's one that I really like, for calming inspirational assistance.....even if it is old.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by navione

Dear navione,

I am sorry you are in a hard place. I could tell you about Christ; but, now would not be the time. I may get blasted for that by some other Christians; but, you cannot find the truth if you have already decided that you are a looking for a belief, not because it is true; but, because you feel bad. Let us start with the simple things, you matter. Isn't that nice to know, you truly matter. You matter because you have emotions and have to live on this world. Everyone matters and everything matters in their own way. A rock matters; but, it does not feel, so we don't have to worry about that. You matter and you do feel and feeling too bad is no good.

Spend time with friends and with family and let them know that they matter to you, at least the ones that do. Find peace Think about the good you have done, you must have done some. Think about all the beautiful things that make you smile. Listen to the music of your youth and then watch some comedy on YouTube, anything that is just silly, watch the movie Airplane and remember that people made all of this music and humor because they thought we all mattered and wanted us to feel a little better when we are down.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I suggest that you read two books,,,"The Case For Christ" by Lee Strobel and "In Six Days"...when i read those books, i was stunned. they, along with "evidence that demands a verdict" by josh mcdowell, gave me a basis for trusting the bible as the actual word of God.."Why should i believe that?" is what you should be seeking as much as any other thing....and when it is read in that light, it becomes profound. The peace that i have been given by God is worth more than all the money, success, etc... on earth. Also, i suggest starting with the new testament, not because the old testament isn't relevant, but because the NT is more important for those who are seeking what you have spoken of...You are in my prayers...

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I've felt very similarly gloomy for awhile now too. I'm wondering if it's just me, or if the world itself has been so negative (in my opinion anyways) that I'm just mirroring that...

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by navione

Rather than reading and watching Vids, get out of the house and volunteer your talents. If you don't have the talents or a particular skill set, by volunteering you will learn something and network and meet new friends.

I volunteer at my local animal shelter and it helped me tremendously.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I know that was for the OP...but that's actually a really good idea that I'd not considered. Thank you.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by BobM88
reply to post by TDawgRex

I know that was for the OP...but that's actually a really good idea that I'd not considered. Thank you.

Sorry about that. I do hope the OP reads it and considers that course of action.

Maybe I should be hitting the hay?

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
"With much knowledge comes much grief."~Ecc.1:18

If anyone isn't feeling the weight of the times upon us,I think they are the ones that are out of touch!

Feeling bad isn't the worst thing in the world,if you're identifying with those who are suffering and if you are sensing the hard times coming. No matter what a person's position now,that could all change in a moment's notice.

I commend you for searching for a deeper meaning behind all this.

I agree,the Bible isn't always the best reading,and I myself have more questions than answers to a lot of things,but yet,I have faith in Christ. And,I believe what we are seeing is the battle between good and evil notched up higher by the day.

All I can say is that I have learned my faith must not depend on my feelings. My faith exists in spite of my feelings. There is nothing magical or mystical about it. It just means to me I have a foundation to stand upon.

If you are still seeking and praying for that peace you are after,I hope you find it in a real and true way.

By the way,Jesus said "My kingdom is not of this world." That right there leads one to hope in a better one and not to expect too much in this lifetime.
edit on 1-9-2012 by On the Edge because: P.S.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
This is a good question because the reason so many people have to take meds today is because they cannot escape the blues.

lately I have been relying on only natural circumstances to steer the way I feel because of a need to understand how these things work and control them... although I have only tried meds a few months out of my entire life, I have taken other various approaches.

I get a variety of sensations... urges to drink, frustration, sadness, impatience, being given the evil eye, doubt etc...even various types of pain... I believe there are many things in this world that are actually trying to drag us down and do so by different means and for different reasons. It's gotten to the point where I can feel the bouts coming on just as soon as they start, whereas in the past it has kinda creeped up on me and got a hold of me before i could realize that something had come over me.

As strange as it may sound, I think i have found a trick...after all this time (I'm 37)

I'm almost afraid to describe because I've had some experiences that lead me to believe that there are man made frequencies working on us... so if you talk about work arounds, what if they start studying that to find work arounds for YOUR work arounds?!!

It also only helps with certain things, mostly sadness...it hasn't helped me get out of bed at a decent hour yet or help me go to sleep at a reasonable time, but I'll be working towards that as well. This is the whole reason i tried to approach all this without deviating my natural feelings but rather analyze any changes in the hopes of making myself more resilient toward such things that can give a person bad vibes.

I'm thinking it has to be a personal mission because each person may be different, and even if not, how could i ever explain these sensations? I'm not sure if I can do that. I will try to give you a hint though. If a person is hollering a lot and gives their self a headache the same can apply at more subtle levels... perhaps? Can you choose the way you feel and is this choice actually a positive one or maybe some would choose a deviant one or artificial one thus giving themselves even more trouble. Maybe a person CAN choose a positive way to feel if they practice... but where do you start?

You know how they say "Find your happy place" and it sounds so stupid because you really have no idea what they are talking about... you try thinking of rainbows and crap and it just doesn't cut it.

Give it another shot... not rainbows (which generally only make people say "oh look" and then it's over)... but try thinking of a time when you had a bout of natural lasting peace and think about how it made you feel and how it manifested in your actions and mood.

I'm not going to try describing my version but think hard about your life, literally pick your favorite way to feel for the best reasons and call it back.
edit on 1-9-2012 by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I think I should also add something.

The times when I experienced this comforting feeling of peace is oddly after some of the most intensely depressed moments of my life. And I don't mean "after things started looking up" I mean the very next day.

It's brain chemicals.

People speak of ways to control your own mind and get certain desired reactions.

It's a process and there is something to it, it's just a matter of tapping into it.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by navione
Thank you for the suggestions . I also wanted to mention I have read other things like when god whispers and things related to Christianity but nothing really sticks for me. I have never had a mystical or paranormal experience . I have never had that profound experience that so many claim to have before the point of waken up or being enlightened.

Stay away from the musical hypnosis. Music can be good, but it's not the end-all enlightening experience people are making it out to be. It's just hypnosis when it is not a praise, a lamenting, or a true story.

Look, I know the language of the Bible doesn't seem to easy to read. And there are a TON of people with all of their own SELF-MADE interpretations of the Bible. It makes it so difficult. I really do understand the frustration there. I am so sorry for you that you have to deal with that.

I am so angry that my brothers and sisters have made it so difficult on people who truly need to connect with God... There is no love in causing divisions and bickering over things that they do not understand.

The bottom line is that Jesus Christ is the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords. Pray to Him. You will feel Him. He will let you know. But you must understand, which I still have struggled with, that you cannot expect Him to reveal to you this "enlightening experience" or to reveal Himself physically or any of these things that we seek to enable us. These things might not be so bad except that Satan uses these techniques also. We can be caught unawares staring directly at the Evil One; and because he still has a brightness, many are deceived into believing, because he will say, that he is God. That one is not God.

There is much seeking involved with learning the truth about the history of creation, of His plan, of the history of the tribes of Israel, of the fall of Israel and then the rise of Christianity through Jesus Christ and the apostles - the doctrines are many.

But these doctrines are pointless for you to delve into until you learn the love of Jesus Christ. However, it is also written that faith comes by understanding and understanding comes by knowledge and knowledge comes by reading. So reading is a must. But the Lord is merciful in that He knows your situation. Your living situation is almost identical to mine. My wife and I starve. We have lost weight - and we had no fat to lose! We lost a lot of weight where we are at. Our kids are fine, however. We have a 2 1/2 year old and a 6 month old. They are well and it is most definitely because of the mercy and grace of the Lord. And my wife and I had many lessons to learn in this last 10 months that we have been here suffering; not knowing completely why, and not dealing with it easily or as patiently as we should have; but He knows our suffering and we know He is there and He is holding us.

Earlier today I had put my son in a hold with my legs wrapped around him and my arm wrapped around his head and I trapped his arm and I was tickling his underarm. He was laughing, but I'm sure he felt a little tortured. Haha. Well, he's loud, and I wanted to reciprocate my feelings about his volume. Point being, he said in the middle of me holding him so that he could not get away, "Daddy, can you please help me get out?!" Yes, my 2 year old speaks that clearly. And it hit me... because my wife and I have been BEGGING God to get us out of this place for multiple reasons. But no sooner than my son said those words, without even thinking, I said, "Link, that is the same thing that Mom and I say to God. And you know what He says to us? He says, "What? You don't want me to hold you?"

The point being that when we are in times of suffering like this.. when things are so hard, and yet we are breathing and we are still somehow capable of laughter and capable of playing with our kids and capable of discerning what is good and what is bad... do we not realize the blessing in disguise? We are being held together by the Lord! It is not natural that we should survive these conditions - but we survive because of Him!

It hit me hard. In fact, most of what I have learned in the last 2 1/2 years is what was taught to me by the lessons I have given my son.

Jesus Christ will take care of you if you ask Him. It takes 5 seconds to ask Him, so there is no reason not to. Remember to listen. Listening means paying attention to signs around you, paying attention to the images in your head, pay attention to your thoughts, pay attention to what other people say. Not all of it will be right, but you will find what is right in between the lines. Our dreams, nature, and the Holy Bible also... He uses all these to speak to us. He has mercy on us by not revealing His physical form, I ASSURE YOU.

Once you start to develop a praying relationship with God, then He will eventually guide you to reading the truth properly. I know this from experience. Love

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by navione

Rather than reading and watching Vids, get out of the house and volunteer your talents. If you don't have the talents or a particular skill set, by volunteering you will learn something and network and meet new friends.

I volunteer at my local animal shelter and it helped me tremendously.

This is a great direction and leads into what I wanted to add or actually suggest. I myself have been in "the valley" searching and I found that ultimately the answer is a little more rudimentary than seeking a specific organized religion or belief system. I think just creating a better foundation could be the direction need - changing your perception, outlook towards your day, your existence - your overall vibration.

Just from a quick google search I found a site that is a great catalyst for educating yourself in your frequency and vibrations. Some would call it Karma or Buddism but I believe this direction just allows for a stronger foundation and wish has no limitations in seeking religious guidance.

The link is referenced below the excerpt I pulled from the site for your review. I myself am bookmarking the site as a resource to find the "lighter and brighter" side of my journey through the the 3rd dimension as some would state, in hopes to elevate and experience all that is available to us.

Your vibrational being and your environment will tend to move toward equilibrium over time. If your current life situation appears fairly stable, it’s safe to say that you’re maintaining equilibrium. For example, if you’re financially broke, and if this is a stable situation that has persisted for some time, then it’s likely that most of the energetic signals you’re exposing yourself to are also vibrating at a similar frequency of broke-ness. This includes the place you live, the people you interact with, your work environment, the events on your calendar, your furniture, and so on. Your being is immersed in a field of these signals, and this encourages you to vibrate at the same level. If you continue to surround yourself with signals that reinforce your current state, then that state will persist indefinitely. You may be able to get away from it for a while, but you’ll keep coming back to it if that’s your equilibrium.

Vibration and Frequency calibration

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
^ Good post TarzanBeta.

I didn't want to go to far into what I consider to be the merciful bouts of peace I have had in some of the most troubling times and why my feelings would suddenly change as I am washed with endorphins... because a person has to experience it and if they haven't, telling them certain things can sound like a foreign language. You never know who has experienced that kind of comfort and who hasn't, but I believe that even those who HAVEN'T... if they still seek what is good and what is peaceful in their lives and reach for it... they will come to know God.

I sometimes call it the cold white light. We only have a little time to be here and things are constantly changing. We could die tomorrow and meet deaths cold embrace but what is good in life will wrap around you like a warm blanket on a cold winter day.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by navione

There's purpose in art. To create and to fashion entire universes from thought is the ability of only one species. Don't consume a ready-made spirituality. What you look for isn't found in the beliefs of others. Become a creator and your own prophet. If its meaning you seek, become your own meaning and become your own artist.

I too have gotten lost in the deep before. Nobody but myself could swim back out.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotAnAspie
I think I should also add something.

The times when I experienced this comforting feeling of peace is oddly after some of the most intensely depressed moments of my life. And I don't mean "after things started looking up" I mean the very next day.

It's brain chemicals.

People speak of ways to control your own mind and get certain desired reactions.

It's a process and there is something to it, it's just a matter of tapping into it.

It could be brain chemicals which if you voyage through ATS you could learn a lot about things that affect us (possibly) in this realm.

Have you considered your diet? It could be the food you are eating - GMO - Monsanto; fast food and dining out - wally world groceries would be the worst in my opinion. What about the water you drink? I learned after 10 years of getting hives, thousands of pills of antihistamine and epipens, having the symptoms treated without a diagnosis and through my own LONG investigation of dissecting my life, I finally figured out it was tap water.

It could be that your body needs adjusting through chiropractic subluxation vertebral dysfunctional biochemical spinal segment; which is somewhat labeled as a "fringe" treatment and not all chiropractors have been educated in this real because of it's fringe labeling and touches on the metaphysical aspects of the nervous system.

Yoga and/our a cardiovascular workout could help increase your endorphins and definitely changes your mood. I have been told once you have yoga down that meditation is bit easier. This also will assist you in your spiritual endeavors I believe.

How about your sleep patterns - your environment and the mattress your sleep on?

Like I said - been there and didn't like it and these are the avenues I have taken to give myself an attitude adjustment.

Love and Light to you and yours!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join