It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Tectonic plates - Continuous movement/quakes - what does it mean?

page: 2
8
<< 1   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Up to 694. This number should take quite a drop today as the California EQ swarm passes the 7 day mark. It will be interesting as this week goes by to see if the number continues to drop off. Of course we have the next phase of the 188 day EQ cycle at the end of the month.


edit on 2-9-2012 by PlanetXisHERE because: grammar, syntax and context




posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia
What does it mean?

My personal theory........the Earth is always expanding...sometimes it does it in burst. My little pet theory goes like this....

During the dinosaurs age, the earth was smaller, had a smaller magnetic field hence most creatures grew extraordinarily large.

But during this period, the earth started having small sudden burst of expansion....the once great landmass of Pangea broke up.

We can see proof of this between South America and East Africa which clearly used to be joined together.

Large periods of volcanic activity during these growth bursts smother the sunlight and push the earth into ice ages....

No I have no proof, it is just a theory which to me makes sense.


This is a great theory.

Deep rock, as we know, is pressurized.

Increased Sun activity could be activating deep rock with more energy, causing it to expand, and the only outlet is up.

Upon nearing the surface, with less pressure, the rock expands.

I believe this is always slowly happening.

If this was happening on a worldwide level in many areas, it would cause significant tectonic displacement.

I'd to hear yours or anyone's additional thoughts on this theory.



posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE
There is no current geological theory that would explain this.


There is. It's called plate tectonics. The fact that you don't understand/refuse to accept science is your problem.

Tectonic activity varies considerably over time and one big quake may cause many smaller (or ever big) quakes elsewhere.

As it has always been, so it still is.

The sky isn't falling.



posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by AndyMayhew

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE
There is no current geological theory that would explain this.


There is. It's called plate tectonics. The fact that you don't understand/refuse to accept science is your problem.

Tectonic activity varies considerably over time and one big quake may cause many smaller (or ever big) quakes elsewhere.

As it has always been, so it still is.

The sky isn't falling.


As you will note in my posts in this thread, I went out of my way to explain currently what is known about plate movements - and how what is happening doesn't jive with that.

So..........do we call it Plate Tectonic Theory or Plate Tectonic Law? Do you understand the distinction? And how long has the Geological community had "consensus" on this theory? 60 years? Where actually this theory was proposed long before that........but the Geological community is resistant to change.

Who ever said the sky was falling?

So all I am doing is pointing out an anomaly, and true scientists know that science is ONLY advanced through the investigation of anomalies, and I'm doing it on a website whose raison d'etre is the investigation of conspiracies and anomalies...............and your post seems to imply I don't have the right or am wrong to do so?



posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE



What is the point of this website?

 


To deny ignorance when it is present!

Have a nice day



posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE

So all I am doing is pointing out an anomaly


There is no anomaly

Earthquakes do not follow a pre-ordained order. You can get 100 one day and nothing for a week. Or 12 every day then 30 every day then 1 every day.

You can get 5 8mage quakes in a week and then none for the next year.

That's how it works. Chaotic.



posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia
What does it mean?

My personal theory........the Earth is always expanding...sometimes it does it in burst. My little pet theory goes like this....

During the dinosaurs age, the earth was smaller, had a smaller magnetic field hence most creatures grew extraordinarily large.

But during this period, the earth started having small sudden burst of expansion....the once great landmass of Pangea broke up.

We can see proof of this between South America and East Africa which clearly used to be joined together.

Large periods of volcanic activity during these growth bursts smother the sunlight and push the earth into ice ages....

No I have no proof, it is just a theory which to me makes sense.


This is a great theory.

Deep rock, as we know, is pressurized.

Increased Sun activity could be activating deep rock with more energy, causing it to expand, and the only outlet is up.

Upon nearing the surface, with less pressure, the rock expands.

I believe this is always slowly happening.

If this was happening on a worldwide level in many areas, it would cause significant tectonic displacement.

I'd to hear yours or anyone's additional thoughts on this theory.


But I've read this theory before in quite a few places! Isn't it called the "expanding earth hypothesis" or something?
I've always found it extremely interesting, and to the common layman, it sounds pretty plausible.
But then I am not a geologist.



posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebellender
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE



What is the point of this website?

 


To deny ignorance when it is present!

Have a nice day


If you are one of the leading geologists in the world (and willing to look beyond consensus) you are possibly qualified to make that statement with regard to tectonic matters and theories, regurgitating consensus, especially when emprical evidence flies in the face of that consensus, only reinforces that which you seek to deny.



posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma

But I've read this theory before in quite a few places! Isn't it called the "expanding earth hypothesis" or something?
I've always found it extremely interesting, and to the common layman, it sounds pretty plausible.
But then I am not a geologist.


Why, how refreshing it is to confront an open mind!

Yes, I believe the theory is called something like that - and I haven't seen anything that would negate it - the only questions are "how quickly it happens" and "does it happen at different rates".



posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   


During the relatively short time spent observing the Earthquake map, I've noticed an increase in frequency and also depth.

Have a look at the two in Fiji - 500km !

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...



posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE
 


Signature on top: Please do not read this while operating any vehicles. Please do not reply while driving.
(DISCLAIMER: I am NOT employed with the USGS or with the US government or any agency of any government).
================================================================================
I am very interested in this subject. I have been studying the frequency and magnitude of large earthquakes and their association with the moon phase and solar flares for about 5 years. I have also been concerned about an alarming increase in the number of quakes larger than 5.0 over the last week.
However, based on the statistical data, current patterns are not that unusual. The following page from the USGS shows the number of quakes occuring so far this year are within the normal range, and may be a little bit lower. Last updated today.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

However, I also personally have never seen the patterns like I have seen over the last week leading up to the Full moon on 8/31 and the 1st qtr on Friday this week. We also have had a series of small Solar flares and minor Geomagnetic storms. The only time I have seen more quakes was the last 8.9 in Japan. And the large increase lasted for about 1 week and gradually returned to what I consider normal - around 200 or so in a week at magnitude 2.5.

No one can predict when a damaging quake will occur with any certainty, however, based on my research, (I consider myself an open-minded scientist), the highest probability is along known active faults during the first quarter moon after a full moon and when there have been multiple solar flares back-to-back and also when there has been a significant decrease in quantity of small quakes near the same fault zone which increases the plate pressure. Plates move. When they stop moving, the pressure increases, then the pressure has to be released; that is when the big ones happen. Small quakes do decrease the pressure like a poster replied to this thread earlier.
I have written to the agenies and have received responses that indicate to me my concerns are not taken seriously. I believe that is a big mistake, but I have no Ph.D. However, in my 33 years of work (unrelated to quakes or astrophysics), Ph.D's repeatably come to me for problem solving. My nickname is the "Missing Link Professor" and multiple co-workers have written to me and told me "You are a god!"

If someone lives in an active fault area, they should take precautions and always be prepared with extra water, food, and protection from the elements as well as flashlights, battery powered radios, etc. There is no debate among responsible authorities that a large damaging quake will hit LA and/or SF in the US along the known faults. We just don't know the timeframe, +/- 30 years.

If something does happen, may your faith be a comfort to you and your family. Please take care.



posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
what does it mean?
it's called nature, it's been happening for a long time.
edit on 5-9-2012 by Kino321 because: spelling



posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Mactiegre
 


Hey Mactiegre,

Thanks for your post, I just noticed it as I was about to update this thread.

If you are still around, what do you think about the latest significant rise in quakes?

Any links to the factors mentioned above? We did just have a full moon...

Anyway, the quakes are significantly up again, last time was late August 2012, a gap of almost 18 months:



Remember, for worldwide EQ's of 2.5Mag+ for a seven day period, normal is between 150 to 250, but up to 300 can be seen sometimes. Now we are twice as high as the average. I wonder how many SD's off the mean that is?


edit on 18-1-2014 by PlanetXisHERE because: addition




top topics



 
8
<< 1   >>

log in

join