It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tectonic plates - Continuous movement/quakes - what does it mean?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I have looked at this USGS site below a few times a week for the past couple of years, so I have a good feeling for what is a normal number on the left hand side. I always keep the same parameters, 7 days M2.5+ quakes.

This number usually ranges between 150 to 250, ocassionaly around as high as 300, but the norm seems to be about 200.

It stands now at 601, climbing from below 200 prior to the California earthquake swarm.

It appears we are getting continuous movement around many of the major plates, especially the Pacific plate.

There is no current geological theory that would explain this. The current theory is that stress builds over short/medium/long periods of time, is released in an EQ, then there is a duration between quakes when the stress is building again, which could be days, weeks, months, years, decades or centuries.

I realize that the plates are all continuously moving at different speeds, some convergent, some divergent, some slip-fault - but that has never before translated into continuous earthquakes.

Now we are not even getting hours of quietude. Any ideas?

Of course historically large EQ's have generated active regional pre-quake and post quake activity, but limited to a specific region, not worldwide, like the 2011 Japan quake had many pre and post quakes, but there was not continuous worldwide EQ activity.

Here is a link to the site:

USGS EQ hazards program - continuous plate movement

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by PlanetXisHERE

I have been thinking about this

youtu.be...

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Think magnetic realignment? The core is excited as many have reported. I can give sites later but not atm, I'm in a hurry rt now. I believe it's happening because of magnetic alignments. The core is excited and so this moves everything around. Then you also have magnetic objects in space tugging at the earth's magnetics as well. It's all around us. I think this is a cycle tho. Gotta go! Looks like a GREAT thread, thanks to OP for a super topic!

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I think I would be more worried if there hadn't been any EQ activity for a considerable period.

Whilst, the increased activity may be a prequel for a major event, I would be more inclined to be worried if the pressure building between plates was not being released in small EQ's.

Such a scenario is what happened off the NW coast of Japan. The pressure kept building and then a sudden burst of energy was released all at once.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

youtu.be...

That is a good theory, we certainly hear much about HAARP in the "alternative media", and zilch in the MSM which would lead you to possibly think there is something to it. However, from what I have researched HAARP is only able to be aimed into the atmosphere or higher, and someone on youtube I highly respect and who seems to have much knowledge and be open to conspiracies, the 2MIN news guy at the Suspicious0bservers youtube channel, says HAARP has nothing to do with EQ's, and it makes sense to me, but hat is just my opinion.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Opportunia

Think magnetic realignment? The core is excited as many have reported. I can give sites later but not atm, I'm in a hurry rt now. I believe it's happening because of magnetic alignments. The core is excited and so this moves everything around. Then you also have magnetic objects in space tugging at the earth's magnetics as well. It's all around us. I think this is a cycle tho. Gotta go! Looks like a GREAT thread, thanks to OP for a super topic!

You're thinking geo-magnetic pole shift? Is that what you mean?

Hmm..........I hadn't given any thought to magnetic pole movements, but will think on it, I was thinking more along the lines of planetary/solar alignments and other things, but we haven't had any significant alignments for the past week........

It does make sense that a rapidly increasing magnetic pole shift would affect the core........but to happen in one week...........has there been any evidence over the last week of the magnetic pole shift speeding up?

Thank you for your contribution.........it is very refreshing to receive contributions to my thread that not necessarily agree with me but are free from emotional triggers and ego provocations etc.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
I think I would be more worried if there hadn't been any EQ activity for a considerable period.

Whilst, the increased activity may be a prequel for a major event, I would be more inclined to be worried if the pressure building between plates was not being released in small EQ's.

Such a scenario is what happened off the NW coast of Japan. The pressure kept building and then a sudden burst of energy was released all at once.

This is what I said in my OP, normally there is a quake or a little swarm, and, within a few hours, one day or two things settle down. But we have had continouous quakes for a week know, this is not normal.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE

youtu.be...

That is a good theory, we certainly hear much about HAARP in the "alternative media", and zilch in the MSM which would lead you to possibly think there is something to it. However, from what I have researched HAARP is only able to be aimed into the atmosphere or higher, and someone on youtube I highly respect and who seems to have much knowledge and be open to conspiracies, the 2MIN news guy at the Suspicious0bservers youtube channel, says HAARP has nothing to do with EQ's, and it makes sense to me, but hat is just my opinion.

Interesting article here.

Dr. Nick Begich, Sr. Dr. Begich has served as an expert witness and speaker before European parliament and has lectured on various issues to groups representing statesmen, elected officials, scientists, citizen concerns and others. He has published articles throughout the world on new technologies, politics, health and science, and his books include Angels Don't Play this HAARP: Advances in Tesla Technology, and Earth Rising: The Revolution Toward a Thousand Years of Peace.

www.consumerhealth.org...

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE

youtu.be...

Interesting article here.

Dr. Nick Begich, Sr. Dr. Begich has served as an expert witness and speaker before European parliament and has lectured on various issues to groups representing statesmen, elected officials, scientists, citizen concerns and others. He has published articles throughout the world on new technologies, politics, health and science, and his books include Angels Don't Play this HAARP: Advances in Tesla Technology, and Earth Rising: The Revolution Toward a Thousand Years of Peace.

www.consumerhealth.org...

Thanks Char-Lee, I'll check it out.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Up to 641 now.

Hopefully we'll soon start to see this drop off as the California earthquake swarm of last week moves past the 7 day mark.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
If you zoom in on certain regions, namely CA and PR, you'll see those regions contain about 80% of those quakes, leaving 150 quakes or so for the rest of world. As we've seen from other links on the web, the CA eq swarm has happened before and is expected. I'm not sure about the PR swarm, but I suspect that this is a mere blip in the earthquake radar and will soon settle back down to its norm. Or the whole earth could blow - one of the two.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
You guys might find this interesting. The Matsushiro Earthquake Swarm that lasted for years:

On August 3, 1965, three unfelt tremors were recorded at MAT. It was an inception of the Matsushiro earthquake swarm, which is peculiar and unique in that it started directly beneath a well-equipped observatory. Swarm activity had intensified to 100 felt shocks a day in early November 1965,and culminated in 6780 shocks a day on April 17, 1966 including 585 felt shocks with 3 shocks with JMA seismic intensity V.

The area of Brawley has been hit with swarms back in the 1930s and 1970s (seems like some sort of 40 year cycle, but unfortunately due to how many of them are so small in size, prior to that time, there's not a lot recorded).

The trench area around Puerto Rico has had swarms too: Puerto Rico Swarms some back in 2001 with 6.0M.

What do they all mean? :shrug: I'm not an expert in tetonics or volcanoes, but my casual observation sees them happening in areas where there are large faults or volcanic activity.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
South America ( southern tip of the americas is next IMO ).

Too much pressure there.

JG.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
remember when the Haiti earthquake kicked up 800+ quakes on the map?

It is safe to say no conclusion can be made over any earthquake activity.
Also no predictions can be made either.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
My big thing is how lately there are many random quakes...like on the ridges , galapagos, hopefully you get what I mean.
The other concern or what piques my interest is Alaska , you get your quakes near the Cleveland volcano and thereabouts but they really are creeping into the mainland on the real time usgs map,it looks like a trail of bread crumbs going northwest!. I would LOVE to hear someones theory or explanation on this.
So many plate edges quakes and all over the place if you look at the map , it truly seems to me to be a bigger slower event that is occurring before our eyes and the quakes are happening at a faster rate. just my opinion , I find it fascinating

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebellender
remember when the Haiti earthquake kicked up 800+ quakes on the map?

It is safe to say no conclusion can be made over any earthquake activity.
Also no predictions can be made either.

Who made predictions? As you may have noticed in the OP, I distinguished between large quakes of recent memory such as the Haiti quake and the 2011 Japan quake in which there occurred much pre-quake and post-quake tecontic activity - but the key word is REGIONALLY - and what has happened in the last week.

If you look at the list below, you will see in four days we have four significant quakes - in basically all four corners of the world - we had a major quake even just off the shore of Greenland! The pattern of last week, with multiple earthquake swarms - seen in such a widespread geographic area - in such a compressed time frame - has not been seen before.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

multiple earthquake swarms - seen in such a widespread geographic area - in such a compressed time frame - has not been seen before.

are you sure?

Who made predictions?

OK. So other than the obvious unpredictable nature of earthquakes, what exactly is your point, other than a thread, of course.
edit on 1-9-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
what does it mean?

it means that just by watching USGS you are not getting the full picture.
Sure enough its been quite busy the last few weeks with a couple of 7's, that will crank up the numbers with the aftershocks, but there are areas that are in quiet mode, note New Zealand has had very few earthquakes during that same period, not the usual 40-50 per day,but 1-5 /day and there were even days when therewere NO quakes at all, something that only happens about once a years (in varying months)
I thought the system had broken so sent an e-mail to Geonet asking what was up and they replied "not much, there is nothing happening". It just kicked back in the other day with a mag 5 on the Alpine Fault, which will make the South Islander's a bit nervous.
And where are the Vanuatu, Solomon Islands and Fiji in amongst your 601 quakes? not many are there?

The Plates move at different rates and at different times, back in 1000-1200AD the Middle East was getting ripped apart, now its hardly mentioned.
Its not just the clusters you should be watching , its the blank parts too.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
What does it mean?

My personal theory........the Earth is always expanding...sometimes it does it in burst. My little pet theory goes like this....

During the dinosaurs age, the earth was smaller, had a smaller magnetic field hence most creatures grew extraordinarily large.

But during this period, the earth started having small sudden burst of expansion....the once great landmass of Pangea broke up.

We can see proof of this between South America and East Africa which clearly used to be joined together.

Large periods of volcanic activity during these growth bursts smother the sunlight and push the earth into ice ages....

No I have no proof, it is just a theory which to me makes sense.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by rebellender

are you sure?

99.99%, if you can show me where we had widespread geographic earthquake swarms before within a week along with major EQ's, not just an ongoing regional EQ swarm, I'd be happy to concede that statement was inaccurate.

OK. So other than the obvious unpredictable nature of earthquakes, what exactly is your point, other than a thread, of course

Why does anyone post on here about strange or anomalous phenomenon they have observed? What is the point of this website?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join