It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Build your candidate!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
This is a (hopefully) interesting idea which struck me earlier this week. Technically it could be considered a game by some, but my hopes are that it will be more of a mental exercise along the lines of learning a bit of political history. Please approach this with the attitude of a political Dr. Frankenstein, with your goal being to construct a living candidate composed of the best parts of American politicians past and present. I'm sure we'll get at least one smart assed "My candidate is Ron Paul" reply, but please embrace the spirit of this. Sure, the politician you agree with the most may be Ron Paul, but even his most ardent supporter should be able to find at least one or two issues which have been championed by someone with better ideas than Dr. Paul. Your challenge is to find those politicians and use those values to compile your candidate.

I'll start this out.
I'd take the military strategy and mind of Dwight Eisenhower. Ike always seemed to Present an olive branch first, but kept a baseball bat close at hand should the branch be rejected. His policies also were largely responsible for one of the last sustained middle class boom periods in the US. By keeping the US ahead of the USSR in the arms race, Ike ensured a solid core economy centered first around building military might, but also benefitting the new purchasing power the average American received from that development.

Next, I'll add the swagger of Teddy Roosevelt. Roosevelt was a real man's man. He came from a background which the average rural American today can relate more to than they can most of the modern politicians. He'd also be one of the few politicians who could get dumped in the middle of the woods and not freeze or starve to death.

Economic theory was a tough one, with me wanting to take Reagan... That said, I'm going with Calvin Coolidge, a president who lowered taxes AND lowered spending on his way to trimming the debt as well as pulling the nation out of a deep Double dip recession. Clearly he understood something which is completely lost on today's politicians: you cannot spend your way out of debt and you cannot tax your way out of a recession.

Social issues is a relatively basic topic for me. I'm taking the easy way out and will just say Thomas Jefferson, the man responsible for our Bill of Rights was the closest to perfection a US politician has ever gotten. Liberty... That pretty much sums it up. Nobody today is even remotely close, as we have supposed defenders of rights who still believe in such abominations as gun control and surveillance.

Finally, intangibles... Ronald Reagan gets in here. The man had charisma in spades yet he required no Teleprompter and was always genuine.

If I had the resources of Frankenstein Castle, I could combine these traits and I believe we would have a politician who was personable, maintained/rebuilt America's position as the primary world superpower, reduced the debt, restored a healthy level of economic growth, and didn't tax and legislate its citizens into fascist hell.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Being that my middle name is a tribute to the guy, I'll take Franklin Roosevelt as the template for my dream candidate. A guy smart enough to sick Joe Kennedy Sr on Wall Street, to handle a world war, start the nuclear program, and pull the nation out of a depression.

I'll toss in a bit of George Washington - quite possibly the last honest POTUS we had in this country. A man who truly cared about the future of the nation and about legacy.

Throw in some of Thomas Jeffersons intellect and stubborness. Hardheaded brilliance and eccentric genius.

And, finally, I'd give the candidate the charisma and viciousness of JFK. This would enable him to make Washington work - whether it wanted to or not.

Yeah... that guy, I'd vote for!

~Heff

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
How about movie Presidents too?

I would include a little Harrison Ford from AirForce One, some Bill Pullman from Independence Day, a little Micheal Douglas from American President...

I'd also include Thomas Jefferson for his diversity of language, science, philosophy, architecture.... some Andrew Jackson for his stance against Central Banks of any kind and fiscal policies, as well as his military presence, and some Eisenhower for the same reasons the OP mentioned... Lincoln for his eloquence and speaking abilities, and his ability to lead an entire nation through the toughest times it has ever seen...

This would be a good iPhone app! S&F OP

~Namaste

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Heff, your avatar is rockin man!

~Namaste

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

You mean Ron Paul isn't perfection personified? Heresy!!! Where's my torch and pitchfork?

A bit of Eisenhower, Jefferson, Coolidge, and Teddy? With a dash of Washington thrown in? Hmmm... Yeah, I'd vote for that...though he'd be one funny lookin' dude... Add Lincoln for sheer down home eloquence, and the physical presence of Reagan...'cause politics is also about appearance, and he certainly looked the part.

But there's nothing even remotely like them in politics today. It's all about handlers, and ten second sound bites...Is there a politician alive today capable of writing his or her own speeches? Somehow I doubt it. I think that's the one thing that bothers me the most about politics today...not a one of 'em has an idea that they can describe in their own words...

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

To his credit, Al Frankin writes his own speeches. He was a speech writer before he ran for office.

I should have JFK in there somewhere as a barometer man, if you will. I've always heard that he would read cover to cover, speed reading style, several big newspapers every morning with his coffee. I feel safe in saying there's probably not been a president since who had a better grasp on the way the winds were blowing than him if that paper story was true.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Does he? Hat's off to him then, and a bit more respect for him then previously...not a lot, but a bit.

I've heard that about Kennedy as well. Voracious reader of just about anything.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Pretty good formula. I'll take a little Madison with my Jefferson, hold the Reagan and add an extra shot of JFK, then blend that 50-50 with some vintage Paul. Shaken, salt the rim, and a wedge of lime. Heck, just bring me a pitcher out to the patio.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   

I can't go past the traits of Teddy Roosevelt and Dwight Eisenhower either, Starting with Teddy if a historical president could be elected I would chose him. Teddy believed in the USA in the same I wish people would believe in New Zealand. He was willing to promote the US interests overseas. Importantly her was a keen supporter of both capitalism and trust busting. Also he was the first US president to go on board a submarine and go up in an aircraft. My president would be the first to go up into space.

Eisenhower IMO understood the role of the Federal could be most effective . Under Ike the Federal government wasn't all encompassing but it did have a role in infrastructure. FDR resolve would come in useful ensuring the public doesn't wane from defending the USA and other nations freedoms. Lastly a bit of Andrew Jackson brashness in ensuring that if Mexico doesn't get it house of cards in order it becomes a state of the Union.

The most honest thing Jefferson ever said was to the effect that limited government is fine until your in government.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11

Lastly a bit of Andrew Jackson brashness in ensuring that if Mexico doesn't get it house of cards in order it becomes a state of the Union.

www.madcowprod.com...

What has remained undisclosed —until now —is ths: one of the agents is linked to the drug trafficking operation out of St Petersburg Florida in which two CIA-connected airplanes were seized—in separate incidents in 2006 and 2007—on Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula carrying a total of ten tons of coc aine.

What intelligence circles call “sloppy tradecraft” was one of the hallmarks of the rendition-linked drug trafficking operation, which escaped becoming a major scandal in the US only through the efforts (or non-efforts, or collusion) of America’s major media.

For example, one of the CIA planes frequently used in the rendition operation, a Gulfstream II (registration number N987SA) did double duty running drugs. It crashed with maximum publicity in the Yucatan in September of 2007, splitting apart and spilling 3.7 tons of coc aine across a rural area 30 miles from Merida, the Yucatan State capital.

Even worse, the downed CIA drug plane shared interlocking ownership with a second American-registered plane from St Petersburg, FL, a DC-9, that had also made headlines in Mexico when it too was busted on the Yucatan Peninsula carrying a massive 5.5 tons of coc aine.

Not sure Mexico wants to completely get on-board with all the US wants to do down here but I'll take a nice healthy splash of Jacksonian national banking policy.

top topics

join