It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wires on mars....

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCaucasianAmerican
You do know its only a rock?

It has a flat side broken off and it has a lip on it to catch piece of a shadow. I figured it out within 5 seconds.

How are you able to discern all that from an interpolated image?

I guess people see what they expect to see. Nothing special here just a rock.

Can you see the irony of your statement?

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Ok serious?? a wire ?? you mean a piece of rock/gravel ? And you are trying to say its a rock?
even if it was something man made, it would make no difference! you can never go there lol

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by gavron

Originally posted by spoor
Bull#, I see it all the time on tv shows like NCIS, are you tryingto say that they make it up and such software does not actually exist?

Zooming like this?

LOL...Sorry but its true

If the info isn't there in pixel or dot form then you can do what you like and it will be a best guess and at pixel level , a complete sham..

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlySolo

Originally posted by TheCaucasianAmerican
You do know its only a rock?

It has a flat side broken off and it has a lip on it to catch piece of a shadow. I figured it out within 5 seconds.

How are you able to discern all that from an interpolated image?

I guess people see what they expect to see. Nothing special here just a rock.

Can you see the irony of your statement?

Hmm flat rock with a lip?

OR

Space alien cable on a dead planet or bucket from super intelligent species?

What seems more plausible?

I already made my decision.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
You can argue about this one for another 15 pages and throw out detached bits of info on image software functions that display your knowledge of how they work, but...

With the number of cameras and magnifying instruments that Curiosity possess, has anyone thought of checking for a second image of this object? If so, it could bring some clarity to the issue.

Plan B: twitter Curiosity to tase the object, and be prepared to grab it if it tries to crawl away.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
s+f

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Nothing to add...except I find it a little amusing that Phage has to explicitly state that it's a rock, and not a shield, nor Sparticus' helmet that would implicate an ancient(or present) Rome-like civilization on Mars or anything like that.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
That is lame!
Another best example of what's called pareidolia.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heliocentric
You can argue about this one for another 15 pages and throw out detached bits of info on image software functions that display your knowledge of how they work, but...

With the number of cameras and magnifying instruments that Curiosity possess, has anyone thought of checking for a second image of this object? If so, it could bring some clarity to the issue.

Plan B: twitter Curiosity to tase the object, and be prepared to grab it if it tries to crawl away.

You'd have a hard job finding this object from another viewpoint because the rock from this angle may to some seem like some robot helmet with a wire or whatever it is they are describing, but from another angle it will just look like a rock.
Simply because it is a rock.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Here is the pic with some alternate filters. I noticed the "wires" disappeared??

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceMonkeys

You'd have a hard job finding this object from another viewpoint because the rock from this angle may to some seem like some robot helmet with a wire or whatever it is they are describing, but from another angle it will just look like a rock.

Unfortunately I do not have the same psychic abilities you possess.

I cannot as you see in my mind's eye whether this is a rock or some other type of object, therefore I cannot express myself with any certitude.

I could of course just assume that it is a rock based on a flimsy probability scenario, but I prefer being an agnostic until I have better data to go on.

Excuse me for not accepting your word as absolute truth, you are but an anonymous voice in a sea of anonymous voices...

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Sorry but I have to wade in here.

Anyone who thinks software can zoom into an image and reveal additional detail by some kind of algorthmic method has been watching too much television. When additional pixels are added to an image they are made a similar colour to the ones surrounding it. The best that you can achieve is a smoothing of the pixellation.

You can sharpen an image but all this does is enhance the contrast with adjacent pixels.

All in all any "hidden detail" is pure imagination straight out of the CSA TV series !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmberLeaf
reply to post by Zarniwoop

I think you are mistaken.
There are softwares made purely for zooming in. Its something to do with the pixel size and density i think.

It zooms in without losing quality, it does nothing other than that.

Heres the still image as requested

edit on 31-8-2012 by AmberLeaf because: (no reason given)

Well I suggest you get your eyes tested because you can OBVIOUSLY see lots of straight lines on the zoomed in still just look around it you will see plenty!!!

Still from youtube video straight lines all over it due to artifacts.

Please remember CSI on tv is NOT a documentary

edit on 1-9-2012 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by yorkshirelad
Anyone who thinks software can zoom into an image and reveal additional detail by some kind of algorthmic method has been watching too much television.

If the interpolation software is used on say a picture of a building with a sky background, it may guess that the edge of the building should be a straight line, and that may actually be a pretty good guess. So I think the interpolation software does have some usefulness in guessing what details to add to the original picture when the details are of a predictable nature that can be somewhat accurately guessed, as in that example.

However, rocks can be somewhat irregular, and usually are unless they are the smooth types of rocks that have been rounded by a stream, which is obviously not the case with these rocks.

Therefore there is no reason to think the interpolation software is making good guesses in this case. In fact the "hole" that some people see was made round by the software's guess, as it doesn't appear round in the original image. It's only something like 4 pixels so we have no idea what shape it is. The guess of a hole shape may just be a bad guess by the software. The original shadow might just as well be coming from a ledge the shape of a slice of pizza and you might be able to get that different guess from some different interpolation software. We just can't tell much from 4 pixels.

When looking at Mars rocks, I think we are better off sticking with the original image, zoomed in if we want, but without the interpolation guesses which may be bad guesses.

And I never saw any wires, that's quite imaginative.
edit on 1-9-2012 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceMonkeys

Unfortunately I do not have the same psychic abilities you possess.

I cannot as you see in my mind's eye whether this is a rock or some other type of object, therefore I cannot express myself with any certitude.

I could of course just assume that it is a rock based on a flimsy probability scenario, but I prefer being an agnostic until I have better data to go on.

Excuse me for not accepting your word as absolute truth, you are but an anonymous voice in a sea of anonymous voices...

Well thats understandable.
I have no problem entertaining the idea that there could be alien artefacts on mars,
it's just that all I see in this photo is a rock with a bit of a lip, seen them everywhere.
Just my opinion.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
These "findings" need to stop. I'm all for discovering alien life, but this kind of thing is pure moronic.

I noticed in a UK article, they showed that UFO sighting on Mars (the one where it travels across the horizon, and Nasa tried to bunk it with dead pixels) ...and in the same article, they presented two sightings like this one... a fossilised finger, and the sole of a shoe. It was an embarressing read, and comes across as a joke.

Also, why is this front page???

I mean... really???

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmberLeaf
reply to post by Zarniwoop

There are softwares made purely for zooming in. Its something to do with the pixel size and density i think.

It zooms in without losing quality, it does nothing other than that.

Good! Now I will be able to see civilizations in the Andromeda Galaxy with that special zooming software! Where do I get it?

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
"It's not a rock. That's for sure". Hilarious! Please, please, please, I beg you! Go to the beach, go to the mountains, go for a walk in the country and have a good look at some of the rocks we have here on Earth!

I've got a rock here in my room that resembles a shark's head. But it's not a shark..............

...............................................it's a frickin' rock!

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Ghost Who Walks

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Originally posted by SpaceCowboy78
There is some weird formation (natural or not who knows) but there are NO wires.... non whatsoever,
Oh and I love the "using special software" ... come on, you know you're using Photoshop....

Did you look at the u-tube video full screen? the wires are very apparent.
I certainly don't see how this object could be "natural".

I am satrting to think people are just SCARED that there may be something to show that intelligent life is on Mars.
edit on 31-8-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

Judging by some of the comments and some wild imaginations, let's hope there's some intelligent life on Mars, as there seems to be a lack of it down here.

maybe but healthy people have good imaginatons, are are not afraid to use them!

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

I spent my career as a cartographer and a professional photogrammetrist; including contract work for NASA's lunar landing projects. A photogrammetrist uses photogrammetric technology to extract measurements, make maps, gather intelligence, and interpret data from various imaging technologies..

Rocks come in all shapes, this is nothing but rocks and an over active imagination. That said, there are more interesting but unproved possibilities and anomalies elsewhere on this planet.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join