It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wires on mars....

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlySolo

If it were a shadow, it would be cast along side the entire surface and not form a complete circle

You are assuming the surface of that rock is flat... and why do you think a shadow would be cast alongside the entire surface...

You are desperate, you have nothing but a few pixels and are claiming all sorts of nonsense, including flange or ball joint...

The word you're trying to manifest is called pareidolia

No, just you making things up.
edit on 31-8-2012 by spoor because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I don't mean to be an ass, but I really don't see anything significant here. Maybe I'm just blind and missing something painfully obvious, but if it just looks like some kind of natural formation to me, and I think you're grasping at straws to turn it into something else. I hope we do find something interesting on mars, but I don't think it will come from ambiguous images that may be something completely mundane. If this is something interesting, I think we'd need more images from different angles at least, but from here, it just looks like some natural formation.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by spoor

You are desperate, you have nothing but a few pixels and are claiming all sorts of nonsense, including flange or ball joint...

Oh I get it, you're taking what I said as something literal. Like a rusty automobile graveyard. Man, you're rich. Yes it looks like something otherwise I wouldn't be using up energy discussing it with you. But to call me desperate and use what I say out of context...go pound dirt.

Coming from someone with 2000 posts and not a single thread of your own, I don't think you have anything of value to add here.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by spoor

... and why do you think a shadow would be cast alongside the entire surface...

Now just think before you say something

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Originally posted by SpaceCowboy78
There is some weird formation (natural or not who knows) but there are NO wires.... non whatsoever,
Oh and I love the "using special software" ... come on, you know you're using Photoshop....

Did you look at the u-tube video full screen? the wires are very apparent.
I certainly don't see how this object could be "natural".

I am satrting to think people are just SCARED that there may be something to show that intelligent life is on Mars.
edit on 31-8-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

Judging by some of the comments and some wild imaginations, let's hope there's some intelligent life on Mars, as there seems to be a lack of it down here.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I can definitely see what the OP is pointing out, it does look man made to me, but why would NASA release the pictures if they actually showed such things? I mean, if it really is what it looks like it is to me, I doubt that I'd be allowed to see it, they'd not have released it to the public.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
No one thought of this being debris from, I don't know, a man made assembly?

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Now just think before you say something

That picture shows exactly what I was stating, have a look at the shadow cast by the lump of concrete on the left.... a round shadow, so according to you that must be a hole...

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

Like part of the thing that the rover arrived to the planet on? Could be...must've landed fairly close to it, right?

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Very interesting thing there. I can't say for certain what it is or is not, since it's not really a close enough shot of it. My first thought is that it is just a rock, but that's not said with 100 % confidence.

However, I think it's always worth pointing out that not every anomaly is pareidolia. People throw that word around too often on ATS. My theory is that there was intelligent life and ancient civilization on Mars that has since died out. How long ago is my question...thousands, tens of thousands, Millions, tens of millions, hundreds of millions or Billions of years ago? What would be left if that's the case? Anything? Artifacts made of some type of metal or stone? Only a theory though, and the more pictures and science we get from this mission the better.

Perhaps, some of these, supposed, artifacts are remnants of some of our failed and successful missions from earth as well. We don't know where all of our junk has ended up. Going back to the first theory though, if you suspect that there may have been an ancient civilization, you are of course going to look at all of these anomalies through that filter, but again, I hate when we label every anomaly as pareidolia. If someone says a rock looks like a bucket or a helmet or head, it's worth taking a look at and having a good discussion about it, without insulting each other. We know so little about Mars' natural history and geology, that this curiosity mission is going to provide a trove of information and data. Very exciting times.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Just a thought, haven`t other countries as well as the U.S. sent probes/landers etc to mars that never actually made a successful landing? During approach and or landing contact was lost and these probes/landers etc were never heard from again.Perhaps this just some debris from those lost landers/probes etc that crashed?

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

But the image doesn't come from the mastcam or MAHLI, does it?

A rose is a rose...

You would think wrong. No. I didn't use MSpaint. I used something quite a bit better. But tell me, what zoom algorithm did you use? Bicubic? Bilinear? Weighted?

Reading your little tutorial there. But before I go any further into a distraction from this thread, which interpolation method did you use Phage and what was the processing time?

And you're kinda tricky with your questions too My uploaded picture was only a zoom of an image which was already rendered.

Which made me drop your link for this:
How Google Earth Really Works

Consider: for resizing images, it only gets worse — each pixel in your destination image might correspond to hundreds of pixels of source imagery, or vice-versa. Bilinear interpolation, remember, will only pick the best four source pixels and ignore the rest. So it can therefore skip right over important pixels, like edges, shadows, or highlights. If some such pixel is picked for blending during one frame and skipped over subsequently, you’ll get an ugly "pixel-popping" or scintillation effect. I’m sure you’ve seen it in some video games. Now you know why.

This does explain most things and is much more to the point. Which makes me ask, why does your picture have more of a scintillation effect than mine? Any interpolation would make the image more unrecognizable. So therefore, my image wasn't interpolated.

edit on 1-9-2012 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by spoor

Problem is, you only see the radius and not the hole diameter of a shadow. So not quite the same. Granted, depending on the height of whatever is casting the shadow of course. But in relation to the rest of the surface, that shadow cast is pretty small. So why can't we see what's casting the "hole" shadow?

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

So why can't we see what's casting the "hole" shadow?

Simple really, due to the poor resolution of the zoomed image.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
You do know its only a rock?

It has a flat side broken off and it has a lip on it to catch piece of a shadow. I figured it out within 5 seconds.

I guess people see what they expect to see. Nothing special here just a rock.

Nice try though to get some stars and flags from gullible people that are on ATS.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Made a thread some time ago .. wasnt that popular
people dont like to pay attention to these things
i do

In 1911, Martians Were Building Canals

why the old civilisations are gone and the surface look like hell
the term parasite couldnt be more clear of what is the planet now and it make sens

Apparently those wires and canals is a living creature ..
the planet is alive much like Gaia on earth
and it spread some eggs in holes and craters always digging and expending
i think the government wants us to see those things with the new rover
dont ask why they didnt go explore a crater yet and just buzzing rocks around

the moon looks like a protection satelite (an enormous base) from the benevolent aliens
just look at my signature the quote

Mars Attack anyone ?

but dont mix the benevolent aliens with the bad ones

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
oh wow! how interesting!! it looks like some kind of object thats mechanical in nature....that hole looks way out of the ordinary.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by spoor

So why can't we see what's casting the "hole" shadow?

Simple really, due to the poor resolution of the zoomed image.

The resolution is fine. Up to the object and that's it. You can't zoom any closer without causing this infamous interpolation. Interpolation is everything beyond the object. So Phage is correct, to a point. But that's not why your wrong. Your wrong because the light is coming from the right, so shadow left.

Which would mean something would have to be here:

casting the shadow.

Hence my example of

to illustrate my point. But sadly, one does need to paint a picture. Listen, I don't know why your bothering to argue elementary stuff with me. It's pretty much common sense. And to top if off, you're on the same side as Phage but are arguing from two completely different points of view.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

There is no such thing as "zooming in" when it comes to digital pictures that were already captured at a fixed FOV, so what one does to "zoom in" is to resize the image. And resizing a digital picture means re-sampling trough pixel interpolation the image, thus sub-diving pixels into more pixels which causes the image to blur (become defocused), that's why there are special algorithms to resize digital images. These "special" methods take other things into consideration while resizing a picture, things like constrast, sigma, etc and tend to yield a better result.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

But regarding the video/image in question I see nothing in there that couldn't be something we sent there. Like a part of a previous satellite or probe we sent in the past.

I think we will need something a bit more substancial to be able to get to any real conclusions.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join