It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think a meteorite just went through my back yard

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
small meteorites quit glowing about 5 to 10 miles up and as they fall they go Ballistic and are falling straight down by the time they approach the surface. They also hit earth at free fall speed (Terminal velocity)not cosmic speeds of about 5000mph
en.wikipedia.org...

The ones that don't go Ballistic and have a fireball all the way down and hit the surface at a angle are so massive they leave large craters.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

If you actually do find a Meteorite...IT IS WORTH MONEY! Depending on what kind and size...a Meteorite can be worth...for a small one...anywhere from $50 to several Thousand Dollars! A baseball size or bigger can be a very large paycheck and they are purchased by both collectors as well as Scientists who will pay large sums of cash for meteorites that are of a certain type such as if it was one determined to be a chunk of Mars that was thrown into space by another large Meteor or Asteroid impact...KA-CHING! LOL!

Do not just sell it to the first person that offers you money...get it checked out as there are a multitude of Meteorite Research Groups that will be more than happy to check it out and determine what it is and where it most likely came from.

Collectors pay the Largest Sums of Money but you would have to balance that payday against possible scientific value. Still...regardless of size...the type plays a big part in determining value. Hope you find it. Split Infinity

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Contrary to popular opinion, meteorites when they land are still extremely cold, and can burn you. They are not hot as depicted in the movies

A fairly good explaination here

edit on 1-9-2012 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
why some people feel the need to post before collecting evidence is beyond me

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Several months ago I posted a thread about a green meteor that streaked across my yard with a jaw dropping tail behind it. (I was jumping around like a little kid on christmas at the sight of it)

It was the most beautiful astronomical object I ever witnessed. Really stuck with me.

It would be amazing if you could find the remains of this object.

The fact that you could hear it is a good sign that it might have made it to the ground, right?

What was the sound? Like a jet? Rushing air? I'm curious?

~Rev

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by AndyMayhew
If you saw it, then it was likely 100 miles away and still high up in the atmosphere.

If it landed in your back yard you would have seen nothing - but the crater would be a give away.

Be wary - meteorites are very cold

Thanks for the replies everyone,

Here's the thing it was window level.

I haven't found anything, but I sure heard it hit, I am going to keep looking though.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by reverandrandy

Was it low to the ground when you saw it go through, I mean I saw this thing streak by at an angle.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by WanderingThe3rd
why some people feel the need to post before collecting evidence is beyond me

I was wondering what it was actually and wondering if this sounded like a possible meteorite, that is why I posted, there was no evidence of a lightening strike no bullet holes, so my son wondered meteorite, it just so happens there is was high activity yesterday.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
small meteorites quit glowing about 5 to 10 miles up and as they fall they go Ballistic and are falling straight down by the time they approach the surface. They also hit earth at free fall speed (Terminal velocity)not cosmic speeds of about 5000mph
en.wikipedia.org...

The ones that don't go Ballistic and have a fireball all the way down and hit the surface at a angle are so massive they leave large craters.

Yea that's what my husband said, sheese what did I see?

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by P12SOLD

I think you created a new thread because your bored that is what i think.

I think you replied because you are bored, ha ha

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by mellisamouse

OH the roof, why didn't I think of that, yes I can actually, thanks.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

Thank you, I did post that web page and it had post by others who had recently experienced something similar as I did, I wanted to know if it could happen.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
OOPS I just noticed I didn't post the right web page on other similar sightings, gonna go see if I can find it.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
i seen a great one the other night in wales biggest ive ever seen,one big fireball that spit int two ,best thing ive seen

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
This is old news but it provides a nice example of a fairly decent sized one as it impacts.

Park Forest Meteor 2003

This page provides details of the meteor including pictures of piece of it AND photos of the damage left in it's wake. This was a memorable one for me because I just happened to look out the window as it blazed really low over where I lived which was only about 45 miles away from it's primary impact, so when I say it blazed really low.....at first site it looked like it was coming right at me.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Pixiefyre

wow that did light up all the way down didn't it?
thanks

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   

if you find it you will make a ton of money selling this thing

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join