It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think a meteorite just went through my back yard

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I think a meteorite just went through my back yard,
It passed by all three of my patio windows going from northwest to southeast, it could be heard as it passed by and there was a glowing streak the full length of the yard and my yard is large.
It sounded like it hit the house.

So now I am looking for a meteorite,

I found this

www.amsmeteors.org...

www.amsmeteors.org...

Anyone know of any activity in the miswest, say eight AM ish?

thanks

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

If you find it, please get pics!

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I thought maybe lightening but there was no evidence of a lightening strike, I wondered bullet, which isn't unusual around here, but there wasn't the popping, my son suggested meteorite.

How small would it have to be to not leave a clue?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

If you find it, please get pics!

I will smyleegrl, I am not sure what I am looking for but I know it hit the house I heard it hit and the dog freaked out and ran inside, lol

I waited a good hour before gingerly tip toeing over in the general direction.

This isn't the first time weird things have happened in my backyard.

edit on 033131p://bFriday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Meteorites are worth a good chunk of change, go find it! And I am glad it didn't go through you or someone else, those things are quite deadly!

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Glad your all ok.. It's pretty cool tho. Please try and find lol and post pics !!! :-)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
If it had a streak behind it it was burning and I'd say going at a very fast speed, so if it did hit your house it would have gone through it like a bullet.... Unless.. It burned out just before hitting the house, then your pretty lucky it wasn't a bigger one.

If it hit the house it would have been faster than a bullet so would at least leave a mark.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Possibly Ball Lightening? >>> Wiki Link Here
I've seen (what I think was) ball lightening before, it happened inside of my car...but I don't believe ball lightening makes a noise...

anyway, just a thought as you said it was a quick flash of light moving across your yard.

Good luck finding out what happened!
edit on 31-8-2012 by eleven44 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
if you definitely heard it hit the house, then I would look carefully over the whole side of the house where you heard it hit. Maybe it is embedded in the wall or something.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
If you saw it, then it was likely 100 miles away and still high up in the atmosphere.

If it landed in your back yard you would have seen nothing - but the crater would be a give away.

Be wary - meteorites are very cold

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Although it is possible it probably did not land in your backyard. If it was bright enough to light up your windows it still might have been to high and might have burned up. Witnesses to other streaks like this think the same thing because the light show is so bright.

However several people have had them go through the roof of their house, one girl had her car hit, and only one woman that they know of was hit by one. The odds are pretty high but it would be interesting if one did actually land in your yard.

If it did it might leave a crater in your backyard or start a fire. Some forest fires are believed to be started from meteorites. They can be worth money so it would be a good idea to at least search!

Let me know if you find one!

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndyMayhew
Be wary - meteorites are very cold

Cold? I'm just wondering what you mean by that?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Hi,

Distance? was it literally thru your backyard? or just saw thru your backyard?

Velocity? fast? medium? slow? distance might play in this..

Size?

Angle of fall?

Toward sun away from sun?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Hope you find the bits. They're worth a lot of money.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Technically, a small meteor will never fall hot, especially with a fiery tail. Small meteoroids that become meteorites by making it to the ground come from larger bolides that explode as they hit the atmospheric wall. The resultant swarm of broken rocks cool down completely as they fall with terminal velocity.

Even a small rock, if were to hit the earth at cosmic velocity (burning from friction as it moves through the air) would leave a crater and most likely knock down anything it hit. If you were close enough, you could be killed, let alone left temporarily deaf from the shock and sound.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Yes, your meteorite could be worth a lot of money depending on its size and what its made out of. A pea sized meteorite is worth a hundred dollars. One the size of your head is worth a quarter of a million dollars. So... don't be telling your neighbors what your doing, or they might get your prize. Good luck hunting it down.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I think you created a new thread because your bored that is what i think.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by P12SOLD

I think you created a new thread because your bored that is what i think.

Grow up. WHY on earth would someone do that????

So sick of these useless trolling type of posts. If yo have nothing to add, don't reply.

Anyhoo, if you heard it hit, could you get up on the roof???

If it was going fast enough there may be a small hole, get a flashlight up there to check any holes, could be embeded on an inside wall??

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I'm with charlyv and everyone else who said it's unlikely a meteorite hit your house.

That is, if you saw the streak of light and heard it hit at the same time.

What exactly did you hear Stormdancer? A boom or explosion type sound?

One possibility might be subsonic tracer ammunition fired from a a weapon with a silencer. or perhaps a firework.

One thing is certain, for a meteor to be luminous, a meteoroid must be traveling much faster than the speed of sound, in which case you would hear booms, rumbling... the ground would shake if it was anywhere near to you.

See the The American Meteor Society Fireball FAQs:

Can a fireball create a sound? Will the sound occur right away, as you watch the fireball, or is their some delay?
Can a meteorite dropping fireball be observed all the way to impact with the ground?
Are meteorites “glowing” hot when they reach the ground?
How big are most meteorites? Do they fall as single objects or clusters of objects?
How fast are meteorites traveling when they reach the ground?

Specifically:

8. Can a meteorite dropping fireball be observed all the way to impact with the ground?

No. At some point, usually between 15 to 20 km (9-12 miles or 48,000-63,000 feet) altitude, the meteoroid remnants will decelerate to the point that the ablation process stops, and visible light is no longer generated. This occurs at a speed of about 2-4 km/sec (4500-9000 mph).

edit on 31-8-2012 by FireballStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
This is a good thread, and subject to what I had said earlier about meteorites that do not fall hot, this was one of the great exceptions to this case, so I will contribute something pretty fantastic and add something here for all to ponder.

The fall of the Sikhote-Alin meteorite, in February 12 , 1947, at 10:38 local time in the Sikhote-Alin mountains of Easter Siberia, Russia. Witnessed by so many, and luckily, they were not in the mountains when this great Iron meteorite struck. Since this was nearly 100% Iron, this bolide made it through the entire atmosphere untouched, and then, only about 3 miles off the ground , exploded in molten iron shrapnel that leveled a forest, and made a few hundred craters in the ground, some as large as 80ft across and 20ft deep.

These babies were hot, because the meteor had made it through the parts of the atmosphere that detonate most other bolides, and in the short 3 mile fall that the pieces from the explosion went through was not enough to slow them down to terminal velocity, and they basically leveled the place and set the forest on fire. The original mass was estimated to be about 100,000 tons and just about all of it turned into molten, red-hot shrapnel. The trees that were not knocked down, had clean holes through them as well as junks of molten metal jutting out of them, and most of them caught on fire.

The Sikhote-Alin meteorite fell during daylight at 10:38 a.m. local time on February 12, 1947. Witnesses reported a fireball that was brighter than the sun. It came from out of the north -- about 15 degrees east of north and descended at an angle of 41 degrees. It left a trail of smoke and dust that was 20 miles long and lingered for several hours. Light and sound of the fall were observed for two hundred miles around the point of impact. The speed of entry was estimated to be 14.5 kilometers per second. This is about 8.7 miles per second or 31,000 miles per hour. As the meteorite entered the atmosphere some of it began to break apart. The group of fragments fell together. When the descending group of meteorites reached an altitude of about 3.5 miles, the largest mass apparently broke up in a violent explosion. This was a very low altitude for such an event -- about half the altitude at which passenger jets fly. The fragments scattered over an elliptical area of about a half a square mile. The largest fragments made small craters and pits. One of these measured 85 feet across and 20 feet deep. The larger craters are located at the far end of the strewn field. (I am working o a map to show this.) Sikhote-Alin is one of the most spectacular falls of recorded history and one of a very small number of recent iron meteorite falls.

Some Pics....

There is so much of this material available, it is in just about every meteorite collectors possession, and you can even buy pieces right now on Ebay from many reputable dealers.

Courtesy, Meteorite List, Arizonaskies Meteorites, and Meteorite Man.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join