It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Namaste = pretentious

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by shantyknight
It pleases my heart greatly, anytime I hear indigenous languages being spoken. Even if only a word at a time. A much needed healing to my ears, after they have been exposed to daily assaults of the English kind.
Namaste

Oh yeah because English is such a terrible language. You know English is an indigenous language in some places too? LOL

Perfect example of the pseudo-intellectual, pseudo-enlightened, new-agey folks that use the word right here. "Oh my special ears are so fancy and delicate that it hurts to listen to English being spoken but the language of less advanced cultures somehow is superior simply because it's not English and they sometimes paint dots on their forehead or wear long flowing silky clothing"

It's the kind of stuff you hear if you hang out in a college dorm room with first year liberal arts majors who think they've figured out the world and are so connected and spiritual. So easy to spot, so foolish to observe.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Noooo....English is not an indigenous language. Many indigenous people speak English for a variety of reasons (one being survival).
Get out your dictionary and start studying this English language of yours. Many surprises in store.
English was created for us to keep us locked into a certain mindset.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Noooo....English is not an indigenous language.

in·dig·e·nous   [in-dij-uh-nuhs]
adjective
originating in and characteristic of a particular region or country; native

pray tell me... are you alright?
edit on 2-9-2012 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr

Perhaps it is 'just you'...and you are having a bad day...and the word namaste has somehow found itself in the crosshairs...

...or perhaps you are being a 'wee bit pretentious' about what words, you think, people should choose to use?!

A99

Namaste mon ami

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Get out your dictionary and start studying this English language of yours. Many surprises in store.

Umm, your trying to tell us that English, created by the Angles and Saxons of England almost two thousand years ago was created as some sort of Orwellian newspeak conspiracy?

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
How do you back up something which has been recorded in verbal history and handed down for thousands of years?
Why is it so hard to believe you have been lied to by the Originators of the English language, when they have lied to you about every other single thing in your life?
Get a couple of different dictionaries (to cross ref.), start with A (or Z), and before you get half way thru, you will understand. Human beings HUMAN BEINGS are (within these pages) nothing more than livestock, raised for food, and bred accordingly. And many more surprises.
If I was to look up Bubba and read that it means red headed southern men, I would apply it to all red headed southern men. HAHA On it's own, cute and harmless to most people. But when a whole language has been built around lies and disrespect, it is damaging. No 'could be' about it. It is.
The #1 language spoken world wide, is English. Did you ever think to WONDER about that? Is it because it is just so wonderful, all that and a bag of chips? This language was invented for a specific purpose.

I spread some seeds. Where they fall, and how they grow.......is up to Creator.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

How do you back up something which has been recorded in verbal history and handed down for thousands of years?

Just asking for some clarification. Your saying the english language was invented to keep us in line. All im asking for is a little information. The Angles and the Saxons invented english after invading the english isles around 400AD. In fact, the name "english* comes from the German tribe the "Angles".

I simply want to know what you know about these ancient Germanic tribes and their knowledge of psychology. Surely it must have been vast if they were able to create a language that was meant as a form of control! Quite astounding, psychology wasnt known to be this well practiced in ancient times, but here you are claiming not only they had knowledge of it, but build a whole language around it! But of course you and i both know these tribes knew nothing about such things, surely your talking about some newer conspiracy, arent you? You do of course realize if english was invented to control, they are doing a horrible job of it. For an example of how a controlling language would work, read George Orwells "Newspeak" appendix in the back of his novel 1984. Trust me, english is far too descriptive and imaginative a language to suit that purpose.

And your wrong. Mandarin (Chinese), is the most spoken and understood language in the world. By far.

edit on 4-9-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
My favourite is when perpetrators spew into a # fit about something and then finish it with....

~Namaste

Seem's some people get their divine spark in a twist quite easily.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Chinese? I can't even read the fortune cookies.
Human beings did not invent the English language. Fact.
The gap between our Ancestors and us continues to widen. As a people, we have forgotten our own ways.
You want quotes from books. Published articles from 'experts'. Charts and graphs and surveys. You want to be told what is correct and right. You want to be impressed with credentials, and titles, and huge learning centers. You want to feel smug, righteous, and superior. And you will expect to be paid a lot of money, the reward for swallowing all the lies.
My way, the way of our Ancestors, takes courage. Let's face it. You won't bullsh*t the Ancestors with CNN Reports.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
It seems to me a lot of people I talk to throw out words that they do not understand. This is just one of the many. It is not a problem that people use words; it is a problem when there is differnce in aproching a word.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

I'm glad am not the only one who thinks this!

Makes me cringe every time I see it

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Noooo....English is not an indigenous language. Many indigenous people speak English for a variety of reasons (one being survival).

Ffs lol

What a load of total and utter crap..

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
A fad brought on by the same "I'm more enlightened then my parents" attitude that every generation has, when I was young it was used by kids that hung out at new age bookshops, its meaning does not make it more or less appropriate then any other average greeting, I don't ever see Indians I know use it when posting so attribute any higher meaning you want to justify that your somehow not pretentious and trying to be hip in your niche communities.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Mandarin....lol

China has more English-speaking people than the United States now so English wins
well it wins anyway since its spoken in more nations.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Originally posted by nightbringr
Is it just me, or is the increasing use of the word "namaste" seem to be just a wee bit pretentious? Why not "goodbye", "later", or the obvious alternative, "peace"?

I agree with you. Used by Westerners it is pretentious. Someone is wanting you to know how enlightened they think they are. It's an eye-roller. Whenever I see it on ATS, my opinion of the poster goes down a notch. Your mileage may vary.

Its a free and loving world
has long the poster dont post any hatred/negative energy to offense others
he can say what ever he wants at the end
some sign their nick at the end .. others say namaste or take care or chow
everyone is so different .. we cant just act like judge dredd
judge jury and executionner

Namaste just for you

first time i use that word but because of you this is my first time

did i went down a notch ?

you are the ruler of your own thoughs
and you only can choose between positivism or negativism
edit on 11/8/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Using another culture's cordial greetings as your own is vulgar in my opinion

OP called it, lets not over analyze , the word is featherweight, bogus and dickriderish in any manner because its not part of the native language, even the spell check doesn't recognize it; If Chinese people started saying ''goodbye'' in English instead of Chinese, you'd think they lost their minds

I think whats bugging you is whats bugging me, there's usually a shortstop comment from a hipsterish person spewing conjecture prior to seeing that pose ass Namaste signature; why use your brain when you can conveniently project a false 'status' for yourself with a few buttons.

Namaste is to spirituality as seeing glasses without prescription are to hipsters,

The word reminds me of this poor noob buddhist woman that would grasp her incense, seating arrangements, bongos, desperately trying to reap her little trinkets for what she thought she could, in desperation it was painful watching her desperately attach herself to her little rites and rituals. SMH. Some people just don't get it. Hence why you got people asking the Dali lama, ''Whats the shortest method to enlightenment?''

...the spirit of the ages continues to weaken

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Kapablanka

Then will you kindly stop using words like cordial? Oh yeah, don't ever use RSVP on the close of any invites that you may send out in your lifetime. We all know where those words came from. Did you ask for permission from the natives before you used them? I hope so...hipster.

Namaste

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I like a different Indian greeting

Hoka hey

Means, "It's a good day to die."

Any greeting is like writing a sentence over and over on the blackboard. Over time, it loses all meaning and even begins to look mispelled.

Personally, I enjoy the meme created by the Ascended master John Denver, when greeting an ambassador of the Muppet Race:

Far Out.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I spoke with someone who has immigrated to the U.S. from India recently and they found it extremely offensive. It was a very upsetting subject for them and I was taken by surprise.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

If they're hit with a wave of burger breath when you say it, it's likely off-putting. Pound a couple of Wendy's triples, then lean in close with a "Hhhhey, chhhan I hhhask you a queshhhtion? Hhhhare you hhhoffended if I shhhhay 'nahhhhmastahhhhe?" You know, just as an experiment.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join