It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Namaste = pretentious

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr

Its not really pretentious, as much as a form of conformity.

A few people had started doing it and everyone had saw that it was different...

Everyone looked it up and had decided to use it.

Either way i honestly see nothing wrong in it other than everyone should not be so quick to do something that just follows the group...

In other words, be your own person,
Mike
edit on 31-8-2012 by PsyMike91 because: typo

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by James1982
I don't like it.

I prefer "Toodleoo, go with god, and don't take any wooden nickles"

Or "May the forces of evil be confused on their way to your house"

A star for whoever knows where that came from.

In alsoness....

Carlin.

Thank you for that btw lol
Mike

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Namaste

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublimecraft
reply to post by Aliensun

Listen pal - don't ###### lecture me on how I am to interpret someones sign-off OK. Who died and made you overlord of my feelings?

I couldn't care less if others know it's meaning or not......thats up to them to qualify. I know its meaning and it does not upset me in the slightest.

The individuals whom have done so have done it clearly as a good will gesture to me - ME

GOT THAT NOW..............

Geez - get a grip - its a word mate - A WORD.
edit on 31-8-2012 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

chill doc

just use the Bolts of Befuddlement
and bind with the Rings of Raggadore

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Kino321

no offense but it sounds like the texan lady pronounced it correctly, and you pronounced it wrongly.
nothing pretentious about learning a little.

Uh, yeah, she did pronounce it "correctly"......
with a thick "french accent".....in the middle of the US, where people speak English, and call them Cross-ahnts....

Whatever. Way to miss the point.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
This is one of the most retarded posts I think I've seen on ATS....

As others have pointed out, people aren't using this word as slang or to sound important, as you would like to believe. Most people have Google and can find out what Namaste means in .28 seconds (according to Google), so they most likely prefer to use the word for a reason. I've been on ATS for several years and have used it just about the entire time, not because I think it's cool, not because I'm "pretentious", but because I like to show my fellow members RESPECT for everyone having a soul, good or bad. It's the easiest way to say "I don't care about our differences, I still respect you because you have a soul just like I do and we are brothers and sisters at the end of the day... we are all ONE."

This word is taught in Yoga, so it is widely known and understood in many cultures and does not require you to be Indian or anything of the sort. To call people pretentious is total ignorance, especially considering you have no idea of the culture, ethnicity, background or nationality of any person on ATS without explicitly being told.

I understand the OP asking the question, but to have 3 pages of posts is just a waste of ATS space.

~Namaste
edit on 31-8-2012 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-8-2012 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: typo

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

Yep...and you just added to it !

Namaste...signing with handle name...bye...take care...love & light...cheers...

Personally? Doesn't bother me.

~Son.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I have not laughed so heartily at a topic than I have at some of the comments in here.

To the OP.....I agree wholeheartedly.

The use of Namaste seems to be prevalent amongst the members less inclined to critical thinking.

These members always seem to throw crud into an argument and then lay a Namaste on the last line in an effort to qualify their statements with feigned spiritual superiority.

For you spiritually enlightened folk......Namaste became popular in new age western literature during the 70's and 80's after JZ Knight used the term in her sessions "channeling Ramtha".

Off the top of my head....JZ Knights definition was "The God I am honors the God in you".

Conclusion.....The members using "Namaste" are just idiots that adopted a fad started by a cult and never bothered to question why they were using it.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
I have not laughed so heartily at a topic than I have at some of the comments in here.

To the OP.....I agree wholeheartedly.

The use of Namaste seems to be prevalent amongst the members less inclined to critical thinking.

These members always seem to throw crud into an argument and then lay a Namaste on the last line in an effort to qualify their statements with feigned spiritual superiority.

For you spiritually enlightened folk......Namaste became popular in new age western literature during the 70's and 80's after JZ Knight used the term in her sessions "channeling Ramtha".

Off the top of my head....JZ Knights definition was "The God I am honors the God in you".

Conclusion.....The members using "Namaste" are just idiots that adopted a fad started by a cult and never bothered to question why they were using it.

Source please?

Your post is a testament of ignorance... talk about pretentious, you just exhibited the true meaning of the word.

I love how you paint every person who uses the word with the same brush and say that they don't think critically, and then call them idiots, when you are completely and totally wrong with your facts.

Keen observation skills there slick.
Maybe you should look up the meaning and the etymology of the word before you make yourself look like the idiot you claim everyone else is for not using critical thinking, when you couldn't even spend the time to Google it yourself.

The word itself is derived from Sanskrit and is one of the oldest languages on the planet. It has been used by Buddhists for centuries.

The act of joining the palms of the hands in front of oneself is known as Namaskara or Namaste. It is with the Namaskara that people offer prayers to deities and also greet each other throughout India. It conveys reverence, respect, welcome, friendship and hospitality.

The Namaskara is perhaps the most ancient form of formal personal greeting, much older than the handshake. Its antiquity is not easy to gauge, but the Namaskara has been represented even in the earliest of sculptures. The etymology of the words Namaskara and Namaste are relatively easier to deduce. “Namaha” in Sanskrit is “obeisance” and “Te” is “You”. Therefore Namaste is “obeisance to you”.

Source

Source

Your ignorance is astounding... and you call us idiots.

A sharp tongue (or post in this case) is no indication of a keen mind, and you have certainly proven that with your post.

~Namaste

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
It pleases my heart greatly, anytime I hear indigenous languages being spoken. Even if only a word at a time. A much needed healing to my ears, after they have been exposed to daily assaults of the English kind.
Namaste

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

Just to point out the obvious....

.Namaste became popular in new age western literature during the 70's and 80's after JZ Knight used the term in her sessions "channeling Ramtha".

How do I know?

I was there.

For clarity.....I was talking about popular use of the word......not its origins.

edit on 31/8/2012 by OccamAssassin because: emphasis on popular

edit on 31/8/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightbringr

Originally posted by Buddha1098

Once you understand your own divinity you bow and recognize it in others. None of the other salutations conveys the same message. Namely, the understanding we are all connected by the same divine spark.

Oh puhlease.

Tell me how saying peace is somehow less divine than saying namaste? They are words, i dont put any mystical meaning into them.

Tell me how saying peace is somehow less pretentious than saying namaste? They are words, I don't put any pretense into them.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

reply to post by Aliensun
Listen pal - don't ###### lecture me on how I am to interpret someones sign-off OK. Who died and made you overlord of my feelings?

I couldn't care less if others know it's meaning or not......thats up to them to qualify. I know its meaning and it does not upset me in the slightest.

The individuals whom have done so have done it clearly as a good will gesture to me - ME

GOT THAT NOW.............. Geez - get a grip - its a word mate - A WORD.

I LOLed

I'm glad you and a few others got a laugh out of it - but mate thats nothin - that is me just showing him/her my can of whoop-ass - he/she is lucky I didn't open it up...........not that you would have seen it because I guarantee it would have resulted in an immediate Extreme T&C violation.

You have no idea how close I came...............

Anyway - I just refuse to let that sort of tripe slide and no-emoticon here sends the message like a few terse words to provide an obvious and much needed reality check...........

NAMASTE DUDE PEACE (and whatever else pushes the right buttons)
edit on 1-9-2012 by Sublimecraft because: Insert pic to articulate my meaning

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Skarr

Simply, as I understand, it means "I bow to you".

I did not know that Americans bow? Maybe in prayer or a marriage proposal? Tebow bows.....to the Father. To bow shows servitude.

What if you seen my wife and me at the Gaylord Opryland mall? You are on one side of the food court. I walk in and she and I meet in front of the Baskin~Robbins and she bows to me and says today I am buying. I say I want a banana split and you see her bow to me and say her lips move but I hear namaste. You then see her wait in line while I grab a seat. She brings the banana split to me and says okay I gotta get back to work and leaves bowing saying namaste. She goes back to 360* and sells Indian incense and tie dye crap. What do you think?

That redneck is running that woman? No probably not. You would think aw she said namaste cause that is what she believes.

Yeah whatever. It is pretentious. It is saying I have a different way of communicating to you that neither of us was trained to, presented to , and i am culturally elevated and elite. Oh you don't know namaste?

The apostle Paul said greet one another with a kiss. We don't in America because it does not fit our culture in the US. If i am not gonna kiss my brothers and sisters I am not gonna bow and say namaste. In fact the Apostle Peter said it best in Acts. Get up. I am a man just like you are

Hear that Mr. Ratzinger?!

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Buddha1098

Tell me how saying peace is somehow less pretentious than saying namaste? They are words, I don't put any pretense into them.

Does the word pretentious have any meaning? Words are arbitrarily assigned audible symbols of abstract thoughts conveying your innermost ideas and emotions. I can't describe love but i can say to my wife I love you and she knows what I mean. To me namaste conveys cultural elitism. If a Hindi said namaste I might say thanks. If a Catholic Priest said bless you my child I might say whoa, not your child. But if Someone says the god in me says hi to the god in you I dont say anything because I am politically correct and dont want to offend the pagan?

I think the lone ranger was accomadating when he called Tonto kimosabe. If he called anyone else kimosabe they would have said WTF?! No wonder he wears that mask. In fact maybe poeple who say namaste are wearing a mask too. Hmmm was the Lone Ranger warning us?
edit on 1-9-2012 by sirjunlegun because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Originally posted by IAmD1

Originally posted by schuyler

Originally posted by nightbringr
Is it just me, or is the increasing use of the word "namaste" seem to be just a wee bit pretentious? Why not "goodbye", "later", or the obvious alternative, "peace"?

I agree with you. Used by Westerners it is pretentious. Someone is wanting you to know how enlightened they think they are. It's an eye-roller. Whenever I see it on ATS, my opinion of the poster goes down a notch. Your mileage may vary.

How do you know who is a westener on ATS?

The context of the post. The location information. Self-admission of the poster. Any number of ways. It's not foolproof, but you can't tell me everyone who uses that word is somehow from India. It's affected.

Namaste om metta much love

Barf!

I made no such assumption, nor do I pay mind to where a poster is from in relation to what sign off they use, Just wanted to understand how your mind works that is all. I understand a little more now thank you.

Wishing you the best of what you long for. (no sarcasm intended)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Where was the "god" in you when you spat up all over yourself when you were getting your diapers changed? Where will that "god" be when smell like unsalted canned green beans and your depends are burning your bed sores? To them the GOD that created ALL is saying NAMASTE THE GOD, "I AM," IS FOREWARNING THE MAN IN YOU. "HAVE NO OTHER GODS BEFORE ME"
edit on 1-9-2012 by sirjunlegun because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
Namaste....

I don't use words not of my native language. Why bother?

Que fuepssss? En serio? Why bother? Check it brodinsky, actually knowing things is good.

CJ

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   

reply to post by Lysergic

I LOLed

I'm glad you and a few others got a laugh out of it - but mate thats nothin - that is me just showing him/her my can of whoop-ass - he/she is lucky I didn't open it up..........

open the can! open the can!

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
It's a word borrowed from another culture. It's adopted by certain people in pagan cultures. Why does a word need a geographic region to be used?

Regardless of it's origin (India), its a word that means something. When used amongst people who know it's meaning, it's regarded as a greeting, or a parting. When tossed out in a post, it's an individual's preference. I respect people's ability to expand their vocabularies, and also appreciate the meaning behind the word.

Every knows there are offensive words, many of which are banned here, but namaste is not one of them. Look up the entomology of a word, then decide if it's tolerable to you or not. Simple.

Tolerance is key here. We are a global community. Would Shalom be equally pretentious? There are many words used by English speakers that have been borrowed from other languages.

Why would namaste be singled out? Overuse? Annoying?

Oh, wait, this is in Rant. I get it now.

Carry on.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join