It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Namaste = pretentious

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

You don't get it. It is pretentious because it is a largely unknown term for most people. It is worse than trying to impress people by using a foreign term for closing a letter or an email. the "...is worse," aspect is because we don't normally say "goodbye, " "so long," "later," or ANY other english term to close an email--got that now?

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr

I thought it was how Aspies seek each other out in code....

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

No, I think they're still using ლ(ಠ益ಠ

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

meow.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Listen pal - don't ###### lecture me on how I am to interpret someones sign-off OK. Who died and made you overlord of my feelings?

I couldn't care less if others know it's meaning or not......thats up to them to qualify. I know its meaning and it does not upset me in the slightest.

The individuals whom have done so have done it clearly as a good will gesture to me - ME

GOT THAT NOW..............

Geez - get a grip - its a word mate - A WORD.
edit on 31-8-2012 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublimecraft
reply to post by Aliensun

Listen pal - don't ###### lecture me on how I am to interpret someones sign-off OK. Who died and made you overlord of my feelings?

I couldn't care less if others know it's meaning or not......thats up to them to qualify. I know its meaning and it does not upset me in the slightest.

The individuals whom have done so have done it clearly as a good will gesture to me - ME

GOT THAT NOW..............

Geez - get a grip - its a word mate - A WORD.
edit on 31-8-2012 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

I LOLed

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
i do agree that people who say namaste are a bit annoying.
probably more so than people who sign their name at the end of a post.

but it's their post, so they can do what they like.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I spent my teen years in Naples, Italy. I and many others that went to school there for several years, to this day I still say "Ciao" to people without thinking about it.

Of course many years ago, my father was stationed in Korea, and when he retired and moved back here to the US, he used to answer the telephone with "Yobosayo" (Korean for "Hello").

He'd always get a long pause before the person on the other end of the line would say anything.

I think people just use certain words because they think it's in style to use them. Kids do it a lot. My youngest step son used to say "Oh Snap!" or "Snap!" a lot when he thought something was cool.

Now, a couple of years later, he says "Epic!"

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
Namaste....

I don't use words not of my native language. Why bother?

You mean ENGLISH?

Ironically, the use of "Namaste" goes against ATS T&C English only,.... tally ho, what!

We are global....

"Namaste mon amis!"
edit on 31/8/2012 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Well, the word has popped up enough for me to google. Now I have a new word that I will never use.

Sayonara

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
To the OP and any others who agree with the sentiment conveyed in this opening post...wow. Just wow. I can't believe that you have actually taken the time to complain about one of the most genuinely human sentiments someone could share with you or anyone else for that matter.

With WW3 on the horizon, economies collapsing and people just plain losing it on a daily basis, you thought that it would benefit who to expend your energy on something so destructive? Yes, destructive.

Namaste is a short and easy to pronounce word that says an awful lot with little effort. That is why it is used and frankly, if more people used it and invested in its meaning, the world would be a better place. My wife is a Yoga instructor and uses this word frequently...at work and outside of work. AND when those who don't know what it means, ask. The response is an opportunity to spread a bit of love and good wishes.

BTW the English language has its limits and when we can share languages, cultures and experience we get a bit closer to the "ONENESS" this blue marble so desperately needs.

Namaste in here anymore and soak in any more of your negativity. (Sorry, I had to do it).

NAMASTE

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by MightyQuincunx
To the OP and any others who agree with the sentiment conveyed in this opening post...wow. Just wow. I can't believe that you have actually taken the time to complain about one of the most genuinely human sentiments someone could share with you or anyone else for that matter.

With WW3 on the horizon, economies collapsing and people just plain losing it on a daily basis, you thought that it would benefit who to expend your energy on something so destructive? Yes, destructive.

Namaste is a short and easy to pronounce word that says an awful lot with little effort. That is why it is used and frankly, if more people used it and invested in its meaning, the world would be a better place. My wife is a Yoga instructor and uses this word frequently...at work and outside of work. AND when those who don't know what it means, ask. The response is an opportunity to spread a bit of love and good wishes.

BTW the English language has its limits and when we can share languages, cultures and experience we get a bit closer to the "ONENESS" this blue marble so desperately needs.

Namaste in here anymore and soak in any more of your negativity. (Sorry, I had to do it).

NAMASTE

And the over-reaction of the year award goes to..................................

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Good comeback...now that was intelligent. Who pissed in your cornflakes today? Not an over reaction...just a reaction. BTW here's another one for you. Karma = Action / Reaction

Namaste

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MightyQuincunx

Good comeback...now that was intelligent. Who pissed in your cornflakes today? Not an over reaction...just a reaction. BTW here's another one for you. Karma = Action / Reaction

Namaste

I dont believe in karma. Way too many good people in the world who get dumped on all their lives, and way too many bad people who live happy, successful lives. And re-incarnation would be a travesty of comic proportions.

Peace

edit on 31-8-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

No, not a wee bit pretentious.....it means something, as others have explained here.....

what is "pretentious"? 30 years ago I was living in a ski-resort town/county in Summit Co, CO. There was a very good bakery in Frisco, even better than Panera.

One day we went in there to order some croissants (CRUH-SAUNTS, in English)....and a local woman walked in and said, "I'd like two chocolate KWA-SAHWHW, and a couple of creme cheese KWA-SAHWHW...." yada, yada. All in a Texan accent......

THAT was pretentious.

I mean, I am bilingual Spanish/English, but I know better than to pronounce things in Spanish when the only people who hear me talking, speak English only. It makes one look pretentious. Like the Progressive ad where the one loser-agency guy says "SOW-NAH"....for sauna.

Please.
'Namaste' is a foreign word that has no English equivalent. ....... (one of the tricks of interpretation and translation -- two separate things; the first being the go-between during verbal interactions, the latter being changing written works into another language -- knowing when an 'idiom' doesn't have a decent equivalent)........

Anyway, just because you don't know what a new word means when you hear it does not mean those who say it are "pretentious".

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
no offense but it sounds like the texan lady pronounced it correctly, and you pronounced it wrongly.
nothing pretentious about learning a little.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I don't like it.

I prefer "Toodleoo, go with god, and don't take any wooden nickles"

Or "May the forces of evil be confused on their way to your house"

A star for whoever knows where that came from.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by James1982
I don't like it.

I prefer "Toodleoo, go with god, and don't take any wooden nickles"

Or "May the forces of evil be confused on their way to your house"

A star for whoever knows where that came from.

Don't know, but I prefer:

Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out. So, in cyber slang that would be DLTDHYITAOTWO.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Doubled

sorry,
Mike
edit on 31-8-2012 by PsyMike91 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join