It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Namaste = pretentious

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Is it just me, or is the increasing use of the word "namaste" seem to be just a wee bit pretentious? Why not "goodbye", "later", or the obvious alternative, "peace"?

Maybe someone can fill me in on the reason its being used so much on ATS, as i have never heard of anyone using this word in all my 41 years of life on this earth.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr

I wouldn't be too concerned mate - I think its just people trying to be nice as a parting gesture.

NB - your signature can also be:

11 was a race horse
22 was 12
1111 race
and 22112

Take it easy bro

edit on 31-8-2012 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I don't think so.

en.wikipedia.org...

If I say hola. Am I being pretentious?
Of course I'm of hispanic origins... but whatever.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Namaste....

I don't use words not of my native language. Why bother?

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Once you understand your own divinity you bow and recognize it in others. None of the other salutations conveys the same message. Namely, the understanding we are all connected by the same divine spark.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
The god in me salutes the god in you.

Namaste.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Not pretentious, just a hallmark of that person's personal beliefs.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

The word is more than "Hello" "Goodbye" "Later".

Its greeting as well as well wishing...

Welcome/Take care + peace + respect... bowing to your wisdom and spirituality... to tell you the truth.. i don't know why people use that word to people who does not deserve it...i guess no point of hating, so they do it anyway.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
They've got it from the DARPA videos in the TV series lost.

It's a sign of TV brain washing and not a sign of intellectual multiculturalism.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

The word is more than "Hello" "Goodbye" "Later".

Its greeting as well as well wishing...

Welcome/Take care + peace + respect... bowing to your wisdom and spirituality... to tell you the truth.. i don't know why people use that word to people who does not deserve it...i guess no point of hating, so they do it anyway.

Because it is used as a recognition of the belief (fact) that we are all one - hence there is no 'deserving' of a namaste other than that you received one

much love and light
namaste

edit on 31/8/2012 by IAmD1 because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightbringr
Is it just me, or is the increasing use of the word "namaste" seem to be just a wee bit pretentious? Why not "goodbye", "later", or the obvious alternative, "peace"?

I agree with you. Used by Westerners it is pretentious. Someone is wanting you to know how enlightened they think they are. It's an eye-roller. Whenever I see it on ATS, my opinion of the poster goes down a notch. Your mileage may vary.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
Namaste....

I don't use words not of my native language. Why bother?

Well, thats sort of it.

I understand to a point, i mean ive said "hola", "adios", and the like too, it just seems so many people post "Namaste" at the end of their posts now and maybe im just not understanding it. Just looking for a little clarification not trying to be a total ass.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Maybe someone can fill me in on the reason its being used so much on ATS, as i have never heard of anyone using this word in all my 41 years of life on this earth.

hmm I guess any word used as a fad could be seen as pretentious don't you think? Why use 'peace' as a sign off when you're arguing? Why use 'later' when you mean I hope never to see you again? Just saying... Namaste is just another phrase used to greet and sign off. Rather than focus on the word, focus on the over all message a particular person is relaying instead?

Words do have power however and people who use positive language I assume are wanting to bring positivity, saying that the light in me recognizes the light in you is in my opinion a very positive message and much more so on a personal level than peace.

I guess people could sign off 'the light in me....' however namaste is a much shorter and established version that relays the same message perfectly

love. light and balance friend

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buddha1098

Once you understand your own divinity you bow and recognize it in others. None of the other salutations conveys the same message. Namely, the understanding we are all connected by the same divine spark.

Oh puhlease.

Tell me how saying peace is somehow less divine than saying namaste? They are words, i dont put any mystical meaning into them.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

I agree with you. Used by Westerners it is pretentious. Someone is wanting you to know how enlightened they think they are. It's an eye-roller. Whenever I see it on ATS, my opinion of the poster goes down a notch. Your mileage may vary.

How do you know who is a westener on ATS?

Namaste om metta much love

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I agree OP. It's usually at the end of a wall of text whereby the author seeks to share all their wealth of knowledge as long as we're ready to accept we're never going to be ready to hear the truth unless we listen. Or some other nonsense.

I think it's a defence mechanism.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublimecraft
11 was a race horse
22 was 12
1111 race
and 22112

Thats true!

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Namaste (/ˈnɑːməsteɪ/nah-məs-tay; Hindi: [nəməsteː] ( listen); Devanagari: नमस्ते; formal: Namaskar/Namaskaram) is a common spoken valediction or salutation originating from the Indian subcontinent. It is a customary greeting when individuals meet, and a valediction upon their parting. A non-contact form of salutation is traditionally preferred in India and Namaste is the most common form of such a salutation.
When spoken to another person, it is commonly accompanied by a slight bow made with hands pressed together, palms touching and fingers pointed upwards, in front of the chest. This gesture, called Añjali Mudrā or Pranamasana, can also be performed wordlessly and carries the same meaning.

Etymology

A Mohiniattam dancer making a namaste gesture
Namaste is derived from Sanskrit and is a combination of two words, "Namaḥ" and "te" (a shortened variant of "tubhyam"). Namaḥ means 'bow', 'obeisance', 'reverential salutation' or 'adoration' and te means 'to you' (dative case of 'you'). Therefore, Namaste literally means "bow to you" translated as "I bow to you".

Source

Thank you ATS for making me learn more things that I'll probably never use in my real life!

As far as pretentiousness goes? Even if that is the posters intention, a term specifically designed to be a statement of humility kind of robs it of any pretension that one might try to imply.

Personally I'm just glad my gut instincts were wrong - as I figured it was a fancy way of saying "And here's a big old middle finger for you dude!"

~Heff

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I was introduced to the term "namaste" from the first New Age book I read, "Conversations With God".
A few years later, I learned a little more about it.

Simply, as I understand, it means "I bow to you".

It is intended to be a universal sign of respect, and like aloha, can be used as both a greeting as well as a farewell.

It is customary for yoga instructors to close out classes with this salutation.
My response, in kind, is genuine. It seems an almost solemn acknowledgement - I treasured the time we spent together.

I take its increased usage as a good sign - the addition of a great word to our western colloquial speech!

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAmD1

Originally posted by schuyler

How do you know who is a westener on ATS?

The context of the post. The location information. Self-admission of the poster. Any number of ways. It's not foolproof, but you can't tell me everyone who uses that word is somehow from India. It's affected.

Namaste om metta much love

Barf!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join